Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy - it's a DONE DEAL!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Him and dunk very good today, got to be our biggest centre back pairing ever ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wasn't there today, but looked very good on Tuesday. Could be a super pairing, but feel a bit sorry for Goldson.
He may need Dunkys yellow card count, or an injury to get a starting selection.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Think this is proving to be inspired signing. After a couple of 'getting to know you' games against Newcastle and Brentford, has been at the heart of a defence that has conceded just three goals in last 8 League games, with 6 clean sheets. Goes about his business with minimum of fuss, fantastic parnership with Dunk, and another clean sheet alongside Goldson today.

We couldn't get a forward for right price so next best thing was to make sure we don't concede...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Despite some initial doubters both Duffy and Norwood look good squad acquisitions/decisions as does signing Sidwell on a one year deal.

:bhasign: seem to know what they are doing!

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Duffy has made an enormous difference. No coincidence we now have best defence in the league at the minute.
Norwich score loads but struggle to keep them out too

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Dunk and Goldson were great last season but Duffy just offers that extra physicality and aerial presence which can be key; especially against struggling teams in the division with route 1 tactics.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very good signing and means we have 3 great CBs which is the right amount. Was clearly something going on in his final couple games for Blackburn but if the deal was already done here then it's bound to mess with your head a bit. Especially having been at the world cup half the summer break and likely training a lot of the rest.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Very good signing and means we have 3 great CBs which is the right amount. Was clearly something going on in his final couple games for Blackburn but if the deal was already done here then it's bound to mess with your head a bit. Especially having been at the world cup half the summer break and likely training a lot of the rest.
4 ???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's absolutely immense in the air - hardly ever beaten. Our ability to defend set-pieces has improved significantly since he arrived.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Despite some initial doubters both Duffy and Norwood look good squad acquisitions/decisions as does signing Sidwell on a one year deal.

:bhasign: seem to know what they are doing!
Neither convinced me but both have now turned it round. Duffy certainly has, and Norwood looks better and better and if we are still top 3 or 4 by the time Kayal is available again, then the chances are that is in part because Norwood will have done his job. Overall, we really cant call out the recruitment when we are sitting in second place...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Neither convinced me but both have now turned it round. Duffy certainly has, and Norwood looks better and better and if we are still top 3 or 4 by the time Kayal is available again, then the chances are that is in part because Norwood will have done his job. Overall, we really cant call out the recruitment when we are sitting in second place...

Yes . . . and no. What I am trying to say, is that if we had that extra striker, then we may be in first place!

Seriously though, no real complaints from me re last summers aquisitions. Duffy, Sidwell, Norwood et al are all now doing a fine job, and with two thirds of the season still to go, plus the chance of signing that elusive striker in January, we are well placed for another exciting finish.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
It is almost like people should give players time to settle in rather than judging them on their first two games. Duffy looks a fantastic signing (as do Norwood and Sidwell) yet there were people writing them off already in early September. The criticism of him after his second game on this thread should be a lesson to some.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
It is almost like people should give players time to settle in rather than judging them on their first two games. Duffy looks a fantastic signing (as do Norwood and Sidwell) yet there were people writing them off already in early September. The criticism of him after his second game on this thread should be a lesson to some.

So you're telling people to not make an immediate judgement on a player after 1 game and get rid of them ?! I think you're on the wrong forum mate :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Even the official scouts sometimes make a snap judgement after 1 game sometimes right sometimes wrong. A classic example is that I recommended a 15 year old at Burnley and AM sent our Head Scout to nip in to look at him while up north looking at another player. His verdict was he wont make it as too small......that was Trevor Steven and we all know the rest. So this is not exclusive to NSC.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Like you Finchley I also think some players take time and still believe Manu will come good

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Even the official scouts sometimes make a snap judgement after 1 game sometimes right sometimes wrong. A classic example is that I recommended a 15 year old at Burnley and AM sent our Head Scout to nip in to look at him while up north looking at another player. His verdict was he wont make it as too small......that was Trevor Steven and we all know the rest. So this is not exclusive to NSC.

But that's a completely different point. Scouts are paid to make decisions. That is their job. They make decisions on players.

Some on here are notorious for criticising players. You only have to look at the Stockdale thread, which funnily enough has not resurfaced today as he saved us yesterday. I'm not saying don't criticise players but I am saying give them a chance rather than having a go after two games. There was even one person on this thread saying Duffy would be fifth choice centre back and claiming he wasn't criticising him. That is not a logical reaction after two games.

Equally, some on here would have sacked Hughton after half a season despite him completing the main aim of keeping us up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here