Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
All public museums and galleries etc obviously should sell all their works and antiquities then as the cost in maintaining such items and places could obviously be better spent elsewhere.

Stop funding the arts all together as well, money can be spent better elsewhere as it happens.
1) Apart from a few art critics and media luvvies, no one bats an eyelid when museums and galleries are forced to charge for entry to cover costs when the government decides money can be better spent elsewhere.
2) There is publicly owned and publicly owned isn't there. These buildings above are open to the public all year round. On the other hand, when is it my turn to sleep at or even use Buckingham Palace? It certainly doesn't feel like much of a public asset even if a bit of paper says it is. Thus only fair that the spongers pay more than their fair share for it's maintenance.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How about feeding the British working class forced to use food banks?

that would be a bigger food bank, wouldnt it?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I am calm, I just think your argument is all over the place.

But as already discussed in this thread, this is being paid for by the sovereign grant, which is basically the royal family's own money. They give the government some money, the government gives them back about 15%. That 15% then pays for stuff like this. So the royal family are paying for the renovation, and giving the country lots of money while they're at it.

Mental how few people know this.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But as already discussed in this thread, this is being paid for by the sovereign grant, which is basically the royal family's own money. They give the government some money, the government gives them back about 15%. That 15% then pays for stuff like this. So the royal family are paying for the renovation, and giving the country lots of money while they're at it.

Mental how few people know this.
And equally, as I've said before, that just goes to show how much the royal family receive when the kitty can pay for extravagance like this at a time when so many people are suffering. It's time the sovereign grant is reduced much further.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
And equally, as I've said before, that just goes to show how much the royal family receive when the kitty can pay for extravagance like this at a time when so many people are suffering. It's time the sovereign grant is reduced much further.

But it's THEIR LAND. They have rights...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But it's THEIR LAND. They have rights...

not realy though. its "the" land, part of the country, its not Elizabeth's personal property, its the lands of the state.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
not realy though. its "the" land, part of the country, its not Elizabeth's personal property, its the lands of the state.

No it actually is their personal property. It's in their name. And the proceeds of that, they give to the government, minus about 15%.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Actually, quite large tracts of land in the UK are the personal property of members of the Royal family.

Balmoral and Sandringham are quite large by ordinary persons standards, and i'm sure a few of the minor royals own estates too, but not in the league the Crown Estate talking about here.

No it actually is their personal property. It's in their name. And the proceeds of that, they give to the government, minus about 15%.

it really isnt, it was all handed over to parliament and was always something that went with the job. the lands are owned by corporations which the treasury hold the shares in. The Queen gets to live in Buckingham Palace as grace and favour for being Monarch.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

It [the Crown Estate] is not the private property of the monarch - it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the monarch.

... surplus revenue from the estate is paid each year to the Treasury for the benefit of the nation's finances.

https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#whoownsthecrownestate

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
So the inheritance tax is going to be HUGE when HRH pops her clogs...isn't it?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38025513

At a time of Brexit uncertainty and cost-cutting to health and benefit budgets, someone sees fit to spend £369m on refurbishing Buckingham Palace. It is high-time they chipped in for some of this and if they don't like it they should abdicate.

Cards on the table; I am a republican. But I really do feel that regardless of your opinions on who should be head of state, this is truly shameful. My wife volunteers at a family support charity called Welcare, and every week there are people turning up in tears, worried about not being able to pay the heating bill or being turfed out of rented accommodation. There is advice being given on how to keep warm without turning up the heating, or how to feed a family of four on ludicrously small amounts of money. Meanwhile, the biggest spongers in the country (who also happen to be the wealthiest) get looked after like this. It really is an absolute DISGRACE.

Yet you are happy to see several BILLION pounds (net) every year sent to the EU ..... #selectiveoutrage

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Balmoral and Sandringham are quite large by ordinary persons standards

Surely the quote of the thread? A perfect master class in understated, grudging acknowledgement.

btw Craigowen & Delnadamph & Birkhall & Anmer & Gatcomb & Highgrove are quite large too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here