Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shameful

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bless you. My son and daughter have worked really hard, and are a lot richer than I have ever been. They are more likely to be looking after me, than the opposite.

You appear to be deliberately missing the point. Perhaps it's just as well that your kids have done alright. There are plenty of hard working peole who haven't, and while somebody sees fit to spend £369m refurbishing a Palace, it is they who my heart goes out to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A president has been using the white house since 1800 (216 years) predating Buckingham Palace becoming Royal residence by 37 years. But we all know you aren`t interested in facts...just provocative headlines.
What an absurd comment. I can't even be arsed to respond to it. Laughable stuff.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The Crown Estates. The Queen receives 15% back of what she donates to the Treasury, in the form of the Sovereign Grant. But then you know that because I have mentioned it countless times before.

Come on Albion, beat Villa tonight.

Presumably some cause is going to be down £369 million then?

It seems this is effectively a tax rebate?

Also according to Wikipedia the Sovereign Grant amounts to ~£40 million per year, so the entire Sovereign Grant is going to be spent on this for the next ten years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Grant_Act_2011

Edit: also the amount is based on revenue from the Crown Estate, which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate.

It seems hard to justify this money as anything other than taxpayer money IMO.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You appear to be deliberately missing the point. Perhaps it's just as well that your kids have done alright. There are plenty of hard working peole who haven't, and while somebody sees fit to spend £369m refurbishing a Palace, it is they who my heart goes out to.

My son in law runs lots of marathons for Shelter. It's a great organisation.

Your problem is with the government.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Presumably some cause is going to be down £369 million then?

It seems this is effectively a tax rebate?

Also according to Wikipedia the Sovereign Grant amounts to ~£40 million per year, so the entire Sovereign Grant is going to be spent on this for the next ten years?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Grant_Act_2011

That's what's paid back. The Treasury receives the money from the Crown Estates, and pays the Sovereign Grant and upkeep from that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It's not just a Palace, it's a building of significant historical importance. The longer you let it get run down the more chance it is lost to fire etc and the more it will cost to repair.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My son in law runs lots of marathons for Shelter. It's a great organisation.

Your problem is with the government.
It is indeed. And specifically, the way they cow-tow to Royalty like utter lick-spittles. If, as a society, we see no issue in spending £369m in refurbishing a publicly owned Palace whilst watching so many good honest people struggle to keep their heads above water, then we've lost the plot. I think what upsets me is that in a country where people are happy to blame politicians in the EU or at home or immigrants, we have this situation where the most privileged, stinking rich people are simply lavished excess and the whole thing is seemingly excused.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just out of interest how much did the Olympic stadium cost to build for WH to eventually play in

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The French president lives at the Élysée Palace, so they fund both.

french presidents live like kings

Chirac spent something like 3 million one year on food & wine alone

strangely the british royal family are quite popular here

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That's what's paid back. The Treasury receives the money from the Crown Estates, and pays the Sovereign Grant and upkeep from that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Estate
If the Sovereign Grant is large enough to enable refurbishment of a palace to that extent, then that simply suggests to me that the sovereign grant is too big. MUCH too big.

And if you want to talk about the source of that income in the first place, I'd suggest there ought to be an appetite to reclaim the centuries of back tax where they paid nothing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
french presidents live like kings

Chirac spent something like 3 million one year on food & wine alone

strangely the british royal family are quite popular here

Yes, I've noticed that when we go on holiday to the Vendee every year.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If the Sovereign Grant is large enough to enable refurbishment of a palace to that extent, then that simply suggests to me that the sovereign grant is too big. MUCH too big.

And if you want to talk about the source of that income in the first place, I'd suggest there ought to be an appetite to reclaim the centuries of back tax where they paid nothing.

Off to the Amex now. Up the Albion x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here