Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Shackleton’s ship The Endurance found

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Amazing historical find. And he lived Eastbourne from 1916 to 1922 in Milnthorpe Road. Probably our most famous resident as Roger Moore South Cliff Tower story is a myth.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lovely stuff

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Amazing find, Shackleton, Scott....always up there in my all time heroes list

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Endurance found…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60662541

Shackleton’s story has always fascinated me. His ill fated expedition and the amazing rescue mission he came up with to help his men.
It was said of Shackleton that he was a failure at home life but was the man you wanted next to you in disaster.

And the ship is in remarkably good shape apparently.

Awesome.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Incredible condition. Part of my wooden shed is rotting after 5 years

I read earlier today that because the water is so cold there that the microbes that normally decompose / eat wood aren't present, hence the incredible preservation.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-60662541

Shackleton’s story has always fascinated me. His ill fated expedition and the amazing rescue mission he came up with to help his men.
It was said of Shackleton that he was a failure at home life but was the man you wanted next to you in disaster.

And the ship is in remarkably good shape apparently.

Awesome.

Yes, it's also awesome on [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION]'s thread... :lolol:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Are there any legal reasons why they are not allowed to bring it up I wonder? The Mary Rose was
brought up. Maybe a certain amount of time has to pass before it can be raised (out of family respect).
Not sure.

From the BBC article: 'The wreck itself is a designated monument under the international Antarctic Treaty and must not be disturbed in any way. No physical artefacts have therefore been brought to the surface'

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I read earlier today that because the water is so cold there that the microbes that normally decompose / eat wood aren't present, hence the incredible preservation.

My understanding was that it's not just the cold itself, but also the fact that there are no trees anywhere close by and therefore no microbes that have evolved to eat wood. (I guess if any had accidentally evolved they'd have starved to death long before the wreck appeared)

Whatever the reason, amazing footage. Nice distraction from the current, land based, world
I read Lansings book 'Endurance' a long time ago. Incredible. Must now get round to reading Shackleton's own account

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
I'm reading Lansings 'Endurance' at the moment. Incredible story. I can't imagine what those men went through. Seeing the name 'E N D U R A N C E' and the Polaris on her stern gave me shivers. What a remarkable discovery.

This is a great book about an incredible story - reread it a few times. Another interesting one, with a more business take is "Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer" great accompanying book.

Also recommend the C4 TV film 'Shackleton' starring Kenneth Branagh - really brings it to life.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My understanding was that it's not just the cold itself, but also the fact that there are no trees anywhere close by and therefore no microbes that have evolved to eat wood. (I guess if any had accidentally evolved they'd have starved to death long before the wreck appeared)

Whatever the reason, amazing footage. Nice distraction from the current, land based, world
I read Lansings book 'Endurance' a long time ago. Incredible. Must now get round to reading Shackleton's own account

Ah thanks. Makes more sense.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I'd also recommend 'South with Shackleton' - which is the best photo book you could want. Amazing images.

Found the book in my loft a couple of weeks ago when I was getting out my Ski wear for holiday. I think I then took it ( stupidly) to the tip that afternoon amongst other things !!:shrug:

Fab story and great that Endurance has been discovered.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t know if any other ex matelots who post on here have been to South Georgia and seen his grave.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Polish_20220309_161349077.jpg

Is that Ulloa's penalty ball ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here