Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexual abuse and exploitation by Police officers of vulnerable people

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Nor are they some sort of virtuous, saintly body they are people who have chosen to join the police for a multitude of reasons and being altruistic isn't one of them. That does not mean they are all corrupt but it does mean that anyone putting them on some sort of pedestal is really looking for a big disappointment.

How can you possibly be in a position to make such a wild and unsubstantiated statement? Of course people go for all sorts of jobs for all sorts of reasons, but to say that is absurd. Having family members in the force, and having also written lots of Sixth From references in the past, I can assure you that altruism IS a factor. The Police Force, as with any other walk of life has "rotten apples" within its number, but I am sure that those who find temptation too hard to resist, thinking that their power will always get them through, did not think like that as a raw young copper.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
So you would assault a police officer to prevent what you saw as rough justice? And how does that help exactly, you being the self appointed sheriff and all that? What was the outcome in court btw? Presumably it went that far and you were first witness etc
?

change assault to sack and as for self appointed sheriff.....................well no that the police job
I am not sure if you are drunk or what but your posts are a little muddled

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So getting ready to be spat at, bricked, bottled etc. Potentially scared in other words? Alternatively it could have been that officer all police forces have who they keep back at the station unfed and raring to go for potential riots that comes out ready to hit anyone. My instinct is to get well away from trouble, knowing you may become collateral which is something the people loving the aggro atmosphere by proximity often fail to appreciate until to late. See it all the time in TV clips. Many England fans last summer for example.

Nope , bricked and bottled , within a football ground ? They were going to Confront some hooligans who were waiting for Sunderland fans , he wanted to hit people , end of , just accept what you're being TOLD happened , you weren't there , I was .

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
portlock seagull;76954[B said:
31]So getting ready to be spat at, bricked, bottled etc[/B]. Potentially scared in other words? Alternatively it could have been that officer all police forces have who they keep back at the station unfed and raring to go for potential riots that comes out ready to hit anyone. My instinct is to get well away from trouble, knowing you may become collateral which is something the people loving the aggro atmosphere by proximity often fail to appreciate until to late. See it all the time in TV clips. Many England fans last summer for example.

maybe you should have joined the Prison service locked in while there is a riot going on every piece of furniture smashed up so small every piece could be posted through the spy hole in the cell doors and we would have been happy if it was only spit we were covered in and nowhere to hide.
stop digging mate.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The bit about the majority would cover up for other officers.

Yeah, I'm not sure that's been expressed too well. I like the way Hastings Gull has put it, which to my interpretation is more of a unconscious bias in the favour of your immediate colleagues, which to be fair, I think all sides of this debate would recognise as being a reasonable perspective.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I take your point. I thought my original post was as unbiased as I could make it and fairly clear about my views on officers who are 'bad apples'. This is certainly the view of most officers, as none of us want to get dragged down by the bad ones or be found guilty by association. What I take exception to are throw away comments that aren't backed up by fact or comments made by people who have no first hand experience of the organisation.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I take your point. I thought my original post was as unbiased as I could make it and fairly clear about my views on officers who are 'bad apples'. This is certainly the view of most officers, as none of us want to get dragged down by the bad ones or be found guilty by association. What I take exception to are throw away comments that aren't backed up by fact or comments made by people who have no first hand experience of the organisation.

Glad to hear it. We all have a stake in the police force being as good as it can possibly be.

I for one am especially worried by the cuts to police force budget (which is probably a debate for another thread.) It seems our current Government are expecting the police to do more with less, while they simultaneously talk tough about crime. Which I'm guessing is making an already tough job harder.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Glad to hear it. We all have a stake in the police force being as good as it can possibly be.

I for one am especially worried by the cuts to police force budget (which is probably a debate for another thread.) It seems our current Government are expecting the police to do more with less, while they simultaneously talk tough about crime. Which I'm guessing is making an already tough job harder.

Don't get me started on that one!!

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Utter Tosh! Majority? What facts do you base this on? 28 years service split over 2 forces begs to differ.

The majority will cover up for their colleagues as has been proved time and time again. I have been on the receiving end of it, but I am quite dogged when it comes to people trying to have me over so I came out on top. The silly thing is there was no need for what happened to have happened and what starts out as a fairly minor thing turns into a full blown conspiracy with police having to make statements and cover up for their colleague.
Their is always that one officer who is willing to be a wanker for no reason, use unreasonable force or just blatantly make stuff up. Then the rest are put into a position where they are expected to cover for them.

Out of interest how many times over 28 years have you made a statement/said that another officer acted wrongly, was telling lies or used unreasonable force?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ignoring your pub rant about the 'professionally outraged' as it is such a cliche it's actually embarrassing, I'm sure we agree there are two types of officers the police could well do without - 1) Incompetent ones 2) Corrupt ones, same as any job.

Surely the quickest way for the police to identify officers that fall into those categories is from feedback from both their 'employers' and 'customers' - that's us. Especially given the completely understandable moral dilemma of officers policing themselves as described so well on this thread by [MENTION=28630]Hastings gull[/MENTION] The less you have of either of the those types of officers, the better light the police is seen in, it's a virtuous circle.

If the police has problems processing, investigating and if neccessary acting upon feedback from its customers then I'd suggest that much the same as any public facing industry would have to, it needs to get its house into order. If it doesn't then I don't really understand the attitude of revulsion feedback seems to have on you.

And yes, maybe the criticism the police come in for is a little unfair but the stakes are high. Corrupt police and police that routinely make mistakes have the ability to ruin lives, hence the expectation of high standards. It's the same way a goalkeeper always gets over the top stick if they make a mistake as it generally results in a goal. But the OB know this, it comes with the territory.
You didn't ignore and your choice to be embarrassed by a complete strangers comment - are you still in your teens per chance?!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
The majority will cover up for their colleagues as has been proved time and time again. I have been on the receiving end of it, but I am quite dogged when it comes to people trying to have me over so I came out on top. The silly thing is there was no need for what happened to have happened and what starts out as a fairly minor thing turns into a full blown conspiracy with police having to make statements and cover up for their colleague.
Their is always that one officer who is willing to be a wanker for no reason, use unreasonable force or just blatantly make stuff up. Then the rest are put into a position where they are expected to cover for them.

Out of interest how many times over 28 years have you made a statement/said that another officer acted wrongly, was telling lies or used unreasonable force?
Nail on head, they are far more common than coppers will admit.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
change assault to sack and as for self appointed sheriff.....................well no that the police job
I am not sure if you are drunk or what but your posts are a little muddled
Neither. Hick. Pot. Kettle. And if anything because you keep twisting and expanding the conversation with ever more ridiculous comparisons. Perhaps go into the Nationals comments pages, far greater range of nothing to do with me things you can range against! Just an idea. No offence.

Ps so you did nothing in other words and are still raging months, years later about?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nope , bricked and bottled , within a football ground ? They were going to Confront some hooligans who were waiting for Sunderland fans , he wanted to hit people , end of , just accept what you're being TOLD happened , you weren't there , I was .

You never said inside a football ground. But that tells me all need to know. Football grounds are relatively high risk places. You can expect to be wronged regardless of someone wearing a uniform, especially in a crowd. Doesn't make right but I wouldn't get so upset. We've all been on the end of something similar from police or fans. Especially as didn't happen to you. And a long time ago. Chance you take and not exactly the same as police hitting people randomly at a village fete. Football grounds are highly charged atmospheres where people behave like animals and we the good guys get caught up in. Doesn't excuse Police behaviour, but I would accept unless common. And move on. As I have done with many such injustices. That's a coping mechanism in itself. Try it!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Explains your evident need to always come out on top of an argument on here. Perhaps why you got into trouble with the police in the first place thereby wasting everyone's tax money dealing with your 'rough justice'. Obviously making a few assumptions but could this be an interpretation? :) Still at least your reply acknowledges the reality of the situation so if that's a given, shouldn't people be less surprised? And therefore not expect whiter than whiter service from our Police? So what are we arguing about now on here again? Case closed perhaps?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You never said inside a football ground. But that tells me all need to know. Football grounds are relatively high risk places. You can expect to be wronged regardless of someone wearing a uniform, especially in a crowd. Doesn't make right but I wouldn't get so upset. We've all been on the end of something similar from police or fans. Especially as didn't happen to you. And a long time ago. Chance you take and not exactly the same as police hitting people randomly at a village fete. Football grounds are highly charged atmospheres where people behave like animals and we the good guys get caught up in. Doesn't excuse Police behaviour, but I would accept unless common. And move on. As I have done with many such injustices. That's a coping mechanism in itself. Try it!

Wouldn't get so upset ? Tell that to the 15 year old girl who had her front teeth smashed out with a truncheon you PRIZE CVNT, or her father who was subsequently told to "fvck off before you get the same" by the offenders immediate superior , Jesus wept I didn't think people like you actually existed :facepalm:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Fine on the thread chap, it's just you. Quite obviously on a wind up.
It's so rich coming from you! You accuse me of a cliche. Don't like my reply. So say it's a wind up (er, hello, who's the cliche now?!!) And therefore flounce off like a big baby rather than articulate your argument better, hurling insults as you walk away. Hmmm. Did you say something about embarrassing and cliches?! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here