Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sexist Pig

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
You guys should probably tell him how it's a crap argument if you're going to state that? Men get objectified on TV all the time another one is the coca cola advert with the guy mowing the lawn who strips his sweaty top off to reveal a 6 pack whilst some pervy middle age women look on, if we are questioning sexism, surely this is objectifying men?

If you don't see what he wrote as creepy, I am not going to convince you otherwise.

But I will say that you cannot compare it to TV where actors get paid to sex up a product. If you want to talk about men being objectified on TV you should start another thread.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Rightly or wrongly I fear all this women has done is made herself completely unemployable.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
She loses at least part of the moral high ground when she brings his age into it. Is she suggesting that she'd be less offended if someone her own age sent her the same message?
Double standards, they bloody love it all the time "hot" guys are paying them compliments..

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If they want to be treated equal just sit the f*** down and shut the f*** up, simples

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In this case I think women are treated as an equal. Women in my office are always commenting on men's profile pictures. In fact the women are a lot less politically correct when they see a good looking guy than the men are when they see an attractive women.

I think it is now perfectly acceptable for women to ogle men but men can no longer do it to women. I can think of two examples recently. 1 - The two male models on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown. If this was two women the program would have been taken off air ages ago. 2 - The actor who plays Ross Poldark did a question an online question and answer session. It was just a load of women asking him to marry them and asking if he could come round a scythe their lawns!!!

None of this offends me. I just get annoyed when women then ask to be treated as equal.

Fair one. On the other hand, do you think Rachel Riley would have got her job on the same show if she was a forty eight year old, plain-looking, short, slightly overweight lady? Why is Jim White, for example, still presenting SkySports at his age, when all the female presenters are younger, attractive women? Philip Schofield still sitting on the daytime TV sofa in his fifties, accompanied by Holly Willoughby, almost twenty years younger than him? Bruce Forsyth doddering around the Strictly stage until quite recently, partnered by Tess Daly, a mere forty one years his junior? (Yes, I know Countdown had Carol Vorderman before Rachel Riley but she'd held that job for decades).

Secondly- re the women's comments on Poldark. No different to the comments females tend to attract on (say) Twitter if they dare to stick their heads above the parapet. Except it's not uncommon for the male posters in such an example to offer to "rape" the female, or other such threats (as a number did to Jessica Ennis following the Ched Evans episode). Which is a little different to typing "phwoarrrr, wouldn't mind having a romp in the haystacks with him" etc. Men can very much still ogle women, I hear it going on all the time. Perhaps you're just a bit more discreet about it these days, for obvious reasons, but it still happens.

Just my opinion, of course. The world is still an extraordinarily male-dominated place, believe it or not. Casual sexism goes on all around us. Most of the time, us ladies simply can't be arsed to make a fuss about it, as it's just not worth the hassle.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The bloke must have very low standards,seen better on many a pig board.If it didn't want compliments,why did it shave before the photo was taken:blush:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wish someone would call me beautiful, the time to worry is when the compliments dry up.

:cry:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wish someone would call me beautiful, the time to worry is when the compliments dry up.

You're beautiful, you're beautiful. You're beautiful, it's true. I saw your face, in a crowded place, and I don't know what to do.

:thumbsup:

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
Fair one. On the other hand, do you think Rachel Riley would have got her job on the same show if she was a forty eight year old, plain-looking, short, slightly overweight lady? Why is Jim White, for example, still presenting SkySports at his age, when all the female presenters are younger, attractive women? Philip Schofield still sitting on the daytime TV sofa in his fifties, accompanied by Holly Willoughby, almost twenty years younger than him? Bruce Forsyth doddering around the Strictly stage until quite recently, partnered by Tess Daly, a mere forty one years his junior? (Yes, I know Countdown had Carol Vorderman before Rachel Riley but she'd held that job for decades).

Secondly- re the women's comments on Poldark. No different to the comments females tend to attract on (say) Twitter if they dare to stick their heads above the parapet. Except it's not uncommon for the male posters in such an example to offer to "rape" the female, or other such threats (as a number did to Jessica Ennis following the Ched Evans episode). Which is a little different to typing "phwoarrrr, wouldn't mind having a romp in the haystacks with him" etc. Men can very much still ogle women, I hear it going on all the time. Perhaps you're just a bit more discreet about it these days, for obvious reasons, but it still happens.

Just my opinion, of course. The world is still an extraordinarily male-dominated place, believe it or not. Casual sexism goes on all around us. Most of the time, us ladies simply can't be arsed to make a fuss about it, as it's just not worth the hassle.

I showed my wife the article to see what she thought. Her response was " I'll let you know what I think about male sexism, when you do your fair share of washing up cleaning etc." I think she just did.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
A woman in my office has a “hunk board” on her desk. I suspect that I would not be allowed to have a “babe board” on mine.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But the TV section was not the extent of my argument. I also said that the women in my office are always commenting on men's profile pictures. This does not offend me either.

In offices everyone is familiar with each other and anything that is said is out in the open and generally banter. Maybe he should have just told his work colleagues that he thought she was hot.

It is not a comparable scenario.

The third part of your argument is comparing it to groupies.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
He was bang out of order. People should be able to post a picture of themselves on a professional careers site and not have whiskey soaked old leaches commenting on them on that manner.

Women should always be treated as if they are equal.

I would bet you a pound to a pfennig that if that lady has to conduct a case before a judge of the "old school" she will get her oh-so-tidy pageboy haircut done "just-so and also wear "sexist" clothing.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

Dearest Edna, you must be one of those totally misguided females that still stridently allege that men and women think, talk and act basically in the same way.

My long years on this planet have led to my conviction that that view is utter b@ll@cks.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I've just messaged her to see if she wants to come round and do my ironing on Saturday whilst I'm at the footie.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Interesting, do you think profiles with pictures get more attention or less?

FWIW I think if you are a good Barrister you would not need a picture or linkedin, I have have only ever needed One Barrister in my life, nice lady bloody good at her job and would never have had time to put a picture on any site.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would bet you a pound to a pfennig that if that lady has to conduct a case before a judge of the "old school" she will get her oh-so-tidy pageboy haircut done "just-so and also wear "sexist" clothing.

You are aware of the wig and clothing a barrister is obliged to wear in court?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here