Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Set up wrong tonite!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Thanks for posting this. Saved me the effort, but I wouldn't have written that last sentence.

Fair enough. The last sentence was more postulating than anything else. I think CH has done a phenomenal job for us, and whilst I do find his lack of flexibility before games and often earlier in games frustrating at times (as your next post alludes to), I still think the results overall speak for themselves. I do worry, that if we go up, his lack of flexibility would cause problems however.

Funnily enough, I was having a discussion last night about the use of subs (this is slightly off topic, but also linked to flexibility). My dad suggested CH made a mistake making his subs earlier than usual as it left us down to 9 men once Dunk was sent off. Personally, I totally disagree with this. I'd much prefer a manager is proactive and if he sees he's made a mistake, as it was abundantly clear CH had in his selection after about 5 minutes last night, then I'm all for making as many subs as you need, as early as you need to rectify that to give yourself as long as possible to turn a game around and win it. Then, if you lose a man, hopefully you're already winning the game as you've spotted your mistake. I guess people see the game on different ways ultimately, and there's few managers that would be that proactive. We just happen to have a manager who thinks more like my dad than me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough. The last sentence was more postulating than anything else. I think CH has done a phenomenal job for us, and whilst I do find his lack of flexibility before games and often earlier in games frustrating at times (as your next post alludes to), I still think the results overall speak for themselves. I do worry, that if we go up, his lack of flexibility would cause problems however.

Funnily enough, I was having a discussion last night about the use of subs (this is slightly off topic, but also linked to flexibility). My dad suggested CH made a mistake making his subs earlier than usual as it left us down to 9 men once Dunk was sent off. Personally, I totally disagree with this. I'd much prefer a manager is proactive and if he sees he's made a mistake, as it was abundantly clear CH had in his selection after about 5 minutes last night, then I'm all for making as many subs as you need, as early as you need to rectify that to give yourself as long as possible to turn a game around and win it. Then, if you lose a man, hopefully you're already winning the game as you've spotted your mistake. I guess people see the game on different ways ultimately, and there's few managers that would be that proactive. We just happen to have a manager who thinks more like my dad than me.

Fair enough too :smile:
I'm with you on substitutions, and it's this that is the more valid criticism of CH. I said at the start of the second half was that a substitution was CH's statement of just how dire we were in the first half, so he can make early substitutions, but they're all too rare.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
We've had success all season with 442, so I don't think 451 was the answer. I don't think Kayal and Norwood were either though.

We were poor, Huddersfield were good, the balls bounced there way a few times and we were outplayed. It happens.

The last time Norwood & Kayal teamed up was for the 0-2 home defeat by Brentford :shrug:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
where exactly is Stephens

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's not hindsight really - anyone that watches us regularly at games sees us get outmanned in midfield on a regular basis. Consequently, a performance and result like this has been coming against a side that dominates the midfield area and has a nippy striker, which obviously doesn't play to Duffy's strengths.

The key rather, is to appreciate that the system works for us 90% of the time, even when we're outnumbered in midfield, as generally we have superior players to most of the league. But I agree with the OP, Houghton should be willing to show more tactical flexibility when away from home against a side that is of close or equal ability, when he knows that side will have more men in midfield.

Ultimately, that lack of flexibility is probably why CH has never been able to hold down a Premier League job.

An element of truth in CH tactics, flexibility is key to changing games like this one.
Seen quite a few posts about the 4-5-1 set up and would like to see this employed when 4-4-2 becomes ineffective. A team of our standard/quality should be able to adapt to this as a starting set up or as a mid-game change easily. Our midfield is a weak spot IMHO but those MF players and some of the back four can be a real worry for defences so we should capitalise on this. Chuba looks like he is a handful so lets use him. With quality service and back up I think this could be a good option. :shrug:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Stockers
Pog
Goldson
Duffy
Bruno
Stephens
Sidwell
Kayal
Knockers
Skalak
Murray

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Fair enough too :smile:
I'm with you on substitutions, and it's this that is the more valid criticism of CH. I said at the start of the second half was that a substitution was CH's statement of just how dire we were in the first half, so he can make early substitutions, but they're all too rare.

It was a statement, but the wrong one for me. A straight swap basically laid the blame for the performance at Kayal's door, rather than at the door of CHs system, which is where the problem was last night. Last night was crying out for a 3 in midfield or a diamond and, if it were to be a 3, a narrower attacking trio so that the central striker had more support and Knockaert is freed more. The problem with CHs variation of 451 is that it is so fundamentally negative that it's only really useful when sittin on a lead as he allows no freedom from their defensive duties to the wide players, meaning that we end up quite flat in midfield still, just with an extra man.

Still, like I said, it's a minor gripe at this stage. If results continue as they have, we'll be in the Prem next year and CH will be a major reason for that. But I also see nothing wrong with constructive critique.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here