Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Semi-legendary players who will surely get forgotten over time, but deserve a shout for doing their bit

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I always felt that Mark Morris was a big part of us surviving in 97…

Beyond that, and of those not already mentioned… Dean Blackwell was fairly solid until his injury, and Simon Rodger was okay too - all things considered… ahem.

I always had a soft spot for Derek Allan - probs our best defender for a while…

Akinbiyi had a superb loan spell with us too…

And Junior McDougald falls into a legendary category for being Texan and having a brilliant name… Peter Smith, all legs but silky too… these names should not be forgotten!

Oh, and Ormerod for that late save against Hereford…

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always felt that Mark Morris was a big part of us surviving in 97…

Beyond that, and of those not already mentioned… Dean Blackwell was fairly solid until his injury, and Simon Rodger was okay too - all things considered… ahem.

I always had a soft spot for Derek Allan - probs our best defender for a while…

Akinbiyi had a superb loan spell with us too…

And Junior McDougald falls into a legendary category for being Texan and having a brilliant name… Peter Smith, all legs but silky too… these names should not be forgotten!

Oh, and Ormerod for that late save against Hereford…
At least half of the players you mention were basically shit.

There is certainly nothing "semi legend" about a single one of them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So... to sum up... just about everybody who ever wore the stripes then? :shrug:
No. None of our present squad (too good). Not Zamora (too good). Not Murray (you can guess the rest).

We are looking for.....plucky, really. I have read 3 pages and in time honoured THPP TL-DR stylee, I offer:

Fred Binney
Willy Irvine
Alex (oo oo) Dawson

I don't offer Kenny Beamish because he was SHIT.

I do offer Spider Mellor
And Stuart Henderson
And Jimmy Case (the player, second time around, the player first time around was too good)
And Eddie Spearritt

1692744579418.png

And I very bloody well suggest Harry Wilson.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Richie Barker. Another one of those players who gave his all, struck up a decent partnership with OGH.

The Bear got a bit of grief in his few matches but did a job.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
At least half of the players you mention were basically shit.

There is certainly nothing "semi legend" about a single one of them.
so you’re saying I’m 50%ish right ? I’ll take that, especially from you.

It’s entirely subjective, and yes I reckon Blackwell falls into the would have been a top player for us if he hadn’t suffered a serious injury… maybe I’m overplaying the Rodger angle tbf, but shit or nay really isn’t the point… Christ nearly all of our team circa 96/97 (and for a while beyond) were somewhat lacking, but they can still be at least semi legendary for all the wrong reasons… so there 🥸

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And Kerry Mayo who actually threw the punch 😂

Quite a few other contenders.

Andy Rollings
The Late Michael Robinson
John Keeley
Alan Curbishley
Mark Beeney
Charlie Oatway
Paul Brooker
John Keeley’s debut was away at Ipswich I will always remember that as the fecking train broke down at Manning tree just outside Ipswich and loads of us never made the match. Albion fans being Albion fans back then had a fire extinguisher fight on the train, the BTP turned up eventually and marched us down the track to the station that’s something that wouldn’t happen today. We lost 0-1.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
so you’re saying I’m 50%ish right ? I’ll take that, especially from you.

It’s entirely subjective, and yes I reckon Blackwell falls into the would have been a top player for us if he hadn’t suffered a serious injury… maybe I’m overplaying the Rodger angle tbf, but shit or nay really isn’t the point… Christ nearly all of our team circa 96/97 (and for a while beyond) were somewhat lacking, but they can still be at least semi legendary for all the wrong reasons… so there 🥸
No offence meant, but this thread of semi legends is turning into a list of basically former players who we didn't dislike at the time.

Blackwell was indeed decent at the time, but wasn't here for long, and didn't do anything significant. How does that make him a semi legend? Peter Smith was rubbish. He was a slow lumbering right back(?) who often sliced his passes into touch. Dreadlocks don't make him a semi legend. Derek Allan was a nothing player. McDougald was bang average and happened to be our only goal scorer as we slumped into what is now league 2.

If you want to go back to the era 1995 to 1999 where we got relegated to the bottom division, nearly went out of the league and then were absolutely shit in Gillingham, I think you could make a case for Storer, Mayo, Reinelt, Hart and possibly Barker, but after that it's a major struggle. And of those 5, only Hart and Mayo make semi legend status for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
John Keeley’s debut was away at Ipswich I will always remember that as the fecking train broke down at Manning tree just outside Ipswich and loads of us never made the match. Albion fans being Albion fans back then had a fire extinguisher fight on the train, the BTP turned up eventually and marched us down the track to the station that’s something that wouldn’t happen today. We lost 0-1.
I went to that one with @spence. A Jason Dozell header.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Melia Hotels and Resorts is the pop-up ad on this thread at the moment which prompts me to suggest Gary Howlett. Although actually, he is Final Legendary rather than just semi legendary.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No. None of our present squad (too good). Not Zamora (too good). Not Murray (you can guess the rest).

We are looking for.....plucky, really. I have read 3 pages and in time honoured THPP TL-DR stylee, I offer:

Fred Binney
Willy Irvine
Alex (oo oo) Dawson

I do offer Spider Mellor
And Stuart Henderson
And Jimmy Case (the player, second time around, the player first time around was too good)
And Eddie Spearritt

View attachment 165383

Still fascinates me how much Eddie looks like Hannah, relatively speaking.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Fred Binney
Willy Irvine
Alex (oo oo) Dawson

I do offer Spider Mellor
And Stuart Henderson
And Eddie Spearritt

View attachment 165383

Eddie Soearitt could take a throw in in his own half and still clear the Channel

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Perry Digweed.

Great penalty save in the game when Dean Wilkins scored THAT free-kick
As a drunken 17 year old, I asked for his autograph at the players meet and photo shoot at the Goldstone. He asked what I wanted him to write and I said 'Just sign God!' He looked daggers at me and said 'Are you taking the piss?' Then scrawled an X.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here