Selling CD's' on line

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have finally conceded that as the majority of my music collection is now "ripped" and stored via iTunes match I can now start to dispose of my CD's.

A friend has suggested that "Music Magpie" is a good way of turning them into cash and, after comparing them to the similar "Zapper" site have decided to take the plunge.

I concede that the prices offered aren't brilliant but really can't be a doing with trying to dispose of items via eBay or similar. Anyone here know of any other similar sites to Music Magpie that may offer a slightly better price or any other simple ways of maximising my collection for cash?

the zap

Jan 6, 2012
I have finally conceded that as the majority of my music collection is now "ripped" and stored via iTunes match I can now start to dispose of my CD's.

A friend has suggested that "Music Magpie" is a good way of turning them into cash and, after comparing them to the similar "Zapper" site have decided to take the plunge.

I concede that the prices offered aren't brilliant but really can't be a doing with trying to dispose of items via eBay or similar. Anyone here know of any other similar sites to Music Magpie that may offer a slightly better price or any other simple ways of maximising my collection for cash?

so what is the average price for a cd on magpie

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Do you have lots of oldies that some of us (er, oldies) might be interested in?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
:thumbsup:If anyone is thinking of using one of these sites PM me first and I'll get you a bit more as long as you don't have a collection of STEPS, take that and Mariah Carey.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Surely a boot fair or an ad in the Friday Ad would make you far more money than selling via Music Magpie which appears to be a bit of a rip off just like all of those companies that advertise to buy your gold or your car but in reality pay you just a fraction of its true worth (they have to make their cut somehow) but rely on people's laziness to generate their income as they are an easy option

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Surely a boot fair or an ad in the Friday Ad would make you far more money than selling via Music Magpie which appears to be a bit of a rip off just like all of those companies that advertise to buy your gold or your car but in reality pay you just a fraction of its true worth (they have to make their cut somehow) but rely on people's laziness to generate their income as they are an easy option

It's not necessarily about laziness - it's time and effort. It's not worth selling individual CDs on eBay. And who the hell wants to spend precious time off hanging around pikeys at bootfairs?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Amazon Marketplace is a good place to sell them and you get to choose the price. Obviously someone has to actually buy them first so mainstream CDs are more likely to go quickly but it's a good service.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
:thumbsup:If anyone is thinking of using one of these sites PM me first and I'll get you a bit more as long as you don't have a collection of STEPS, take that and Mariah Carey.

Would be interested, as was looking to use Music Magpie in the next few days. Already placed a collection order with them but they messed about with it, didn't pick it up, then asked me where it was. Not great service.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
I've used them several times and have received as much as £3.00 for some albums. I can thoroughly recommend it but admitedly didn't research any alternatives. Just about to do another batch now!!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is it legal to sell on a ripped CD and keep the mp3's? I wouldn't be surprised if anti-piracy laws covered this somehow.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is it legal to sell on a ripped CD and keep the mp3's? I wouldn't be surprised if anti-piracy laws covered this somehow.

:facepalm:

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I have the same dilemma with DVD's. I prob have 200 or so that im looking to sell now that we have redecorated and got rid of the racks. Any tips on the best sites? Cheers

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
You could try discogs.com. I've sold stuff on there (admittedly more vinyl than c.d's). Worth a look

Yeah - I've sold a few cds on there for a lot more than music magpie would offer. Great for obscure stuff and it tells you how many people 'want' things and you can find out the sort of prices people pay for stuff...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports