Seems strange that we now have a glut of strikers...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

face in the crowd

Jan 20, 2006
I think the trouble is that none of them compliment each other.

Murray and Forster are porbably the closest we have to a partnership but are more effective away where you get a bit more time and space or play on the counter attack.

If we had a player with strength that could hold the ball up (like Owusu and Andrew did at the end of last season), I'm sure the other strikers we have at the club would score goals.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
murray and forster get goals - their respective tallys this season are an indication of this

the trouble is is that if one of them doesnt score, then we generally wont. crofts is the only other play to stick the ball in the back of the net from open play on a semi-regular basis. the midfield needs to start contributing more in terms of goals as soon as possible, as you cant rely on a man who is approaching retirement age and a man who has spent more time injured than fit to get you out of jail every week in front of goal

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Murray and Forster have been SHIT all season. :dunce:

Dickinson hasn't done anything either and Crofts' goals from midfield have been annoying.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm with Mr Mac on this one. The goals to games ratio of our primary front pair is satisfactory, it's just that the rest of the team aren't chipping in to help them.

And as for there being a "glut" of strikers I disagree. We have FOUR recognised strikers in the squad at present, one of whom is geriatric in football terms and will surely soon have to tone down the amount of playing time he gets. Then we have his principle partner Murray, one backup in Dickinson and the lad for the future from Cambridge. If Murray or Forster get injured or are rested then we'd go straight to Dickinson to start and that would leave us with ONLY Holroyd as backup.

What we're lacking is an Arsenal shaped squad capable of scoring from every part of the pitch.

It would be nice if Forster and Murray scored even more but as a partnership with 25 goals between them I'd say they're doing a decent job. How many other clubs in this division have a 25 goal partnership up front?

I just think if you're looking for excuses then our strikeforce isn't the place to start

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Murray and Forster have been SHIT all season. :dunce:

Dickinson hasn't done anything either and Crofts' goals from midfield have been annoying.

I'm assuming you're joking (I can never tell sometimes!!)

In my opinion, Bennett needs to be doing better. He's definitely not scoring enough and the team need to use him more in attack, as he's got bundles of talent and pace. Is difficult for him being the only winger though..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
ALSO, considering the percentage of overall goals in league one from set pieces, this is a piece of pie we are regularly missing out on..

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
People seem to forget the problems we had after Leon stopped scoring but before we brought Forster in. We were desperate for strikers then and now we have a capable front pair. Back then we conceded far less however and the odd goal here and there made more of a difference. Now that the defence seems tighter again we just need a bit of luck, some more creativity and we'll be back to winning ways

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
ALSO, considering the percentage of overall goals in league one from set pieces, this is a piece of pie we are regularly missing out on..

another good point

set pieces are DIRE. i think we were blessed with watson and subsequently people are overexpectant in what to expect, particularly from corners, but the fact of the matter is that a set piece should allow us to put some pressure on. at the minute, it just seems to be another tool with which to gift away possession, particularly to the first man. this is reflected in the goals tallys of a respective centre backs, who are the men you expect to get on the end of a corner and make the keeper work

also, when was the last time we scored from a free kick? who even takes our free kicks at the minute? i seem to recall forster curling in a BEAUTY at home to swindon a few years back, yet since then he probably hasnt taken one

set pieces are a great chance to put a lot of pressure on a team which can lead to a goal - at the minute, we are falling drastically short in what you can achieve from them

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Since leaving us Mr Knight has scored 29 goals in 112 appearances which is near enough to a goal every four games.

Sadly he's not good enough

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is that around the time when McGhee started playing him in midfield, or on the wing, or on the bench?

Leon Knight
He's alright :thumbsup:

Around the time he lost his fitness because he couldn't bother to train.

...and that was from a player at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports