Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Seeing/meeting players

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I don't want to come across as a potential stalker but.....

My 8 year old football mad son would love to see some of the players, whats the best way to get up close?

He's been to matches and we've tried to get near the pitch, even the pre-season friendly we hoped there would be less people and we could get near but the steward was less friendly.

if we were to go to the training ground, can you get anywhere close?

He only wants to wave and say hello, maybe a quick photo etc not get a shirt or ask for tickets etc.

hes met Gully but thought he was shithouse

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Before Covid the players used to go to their cars after the game from an exit just to the left of the club shop as you look from the station and were happy to do a selfie or two on their way. I've still got my son and his mate with Biss, Adam Webster and Maupay after the Bournemouth game at Christmas 2019.

Since mascots are now back I'm assuming there are no Covid protocols in place now and I guess this is what you should give a go.

I saw that Adam Lallana getting coffee on the seafront road the morning after the Man U game when I was walking the dog. I thought that's what this would be about :moo:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Before Covid the players used to go to their cars after the game from an exit just to the left of the club shop as you look from the station and were happy to do a selfie or two on their way. I've still got my son and his mate with Biss, Adam Webster and Maupay after the Bournemouth game at Christmas 2019.

Since mascots are now back I'm assuming there are no Covid protocols in place now and I guess this is what you should give a go.

I saw that Adam Lallana getting coffee on the seafront road the morning after the Man U game when I was walking the dog. I thought that's what this would be about :moo:

Similarly l guess you could try the same tactic, but in reverse, namely approach the players after they park their cars enroute into the stadium before the game.

Certainly over the years l've come across Glenn Murray, Dale Stephens, and Matt Sparrow who were doing just that, and stopping briefly to chat to fans. I guess you will need to arrive pretty early though.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Best opportunity tends to be after the last home game of the season. Lurk on the grass outside the East Stand - players come out and will usually sign shirts etc and have a brief chat :ascarf:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Similarly l guess you could try the same tactic, but in reverse, namely approach the players after they park their cars enroute into the stadium before the game.

Certainly over the years l've come across Glenn Murray, Dale Stephens, and Matt Sparrow who were doing just that, and stopping briefly to chat to fans. I guess you will need to arrive pretty early though.

When they leave - again this was pre 2020 - there's a walkway with barriers and stewards but it was quite acceptable for families to line it to get a quick word or selfie with a player. You also get them all in a short space of time.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My only experience is to draw a comic strip about a player, get it printed in a fanzine, get the fanzine to introduce you to the player in a canteen. Simple!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Got a few photos of my daughter and players from the Box Park pre Citeh Wembley semi final. Muzza, Dunky, Duffers, Stephens etc..

So if there's a social something or other, that would work. I believe players go into the 1901 lounge after the game? Maybe get a ticket in there if so (if you can).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My nephew and his daughter met and chatted to Bruno and Glenn Murray at length when she was badly ill in hospital a few years back.

Maybe a little excessive for a couple of autographs though :wink:

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
My son William was the same, and has now met the whole squad and even been given a few players match worn shirts at away games…..

Like everyone has said 45mins-hr after a home game they filter out by the east stand and sign stuff for the kids, or go to training ground and wait by the bottom of the road and they all pull over in there cars and sign whatever you have, they normally leave around 12-12:30 right through till around 3pm so it’s a long wait but my son was over the moon when they did it…..

It’s all on his instagram account [MENTION=23699]SuperWill[/MENTION]s_bhafc

There’s a video when he went to training ground, the times are the same everyday as one of my best mates works there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I don't want to come across as a potential stalker but.....

My 8 year old football mad son would love to see some of the players, whats the best way to get up close?

He's been to matches and we've tried to get near the pitch, even the pre-season friendly we hoped there would be less people and we could get near but the steward was less friendly.

if we were to go to the training ground, can you get anywhere close?

He only wants to wave and say hello, maybe a quick photo etc not get a shirt or ask for tickets etc.

hes met Gully but thought he was shithouse

Get driving lessons in Chichester and you'll start on the road Adam Webster lives on.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
quick update:

Wife and son stood outside the training ground from 1pm to 3.30pm and managed to get 18 players to sign a flag. The boy was made up. Everyone was lovely and happy to stop (accept Gilmour but he waved and it was his first day so let him off)

It only took so long as Welbeck likes a long shower allegedly and was the last out.

some decent motors by all accounts especially Sanchez.

So if any players read this thank you very much.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
My only experience is to draw a comic strip about a player, get it printed in a fanzine, get the fanzine to introduce you to the player in a canteen. Simple!

I tend to agree with this approach. Try to think of a novel way to portray players (all made of buttons or something) and get the
club to endorse it and that way you might get to meet the players and have it signed. A bit sketchy, but a bit of work and imagination
can go a long way.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Find out which hotel the players stay at for away games and hang out in the lobby in the morning.

We did this every year for Reading away in the Championship, my younger brothers have almost every signature from players 2014 - 2017 on their shirts. They went to the pre-season this year and managed to get some again.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
How things have changed - 'twas never that difficult in the old days!

Whilst we were at Withdean, the team spent a while training at Christ's Hospital School, near Horsham.

Got some great pictures of my son taking penalties against Kuipers after training finished.

It was the team with Zamora, Culip, Brooker, Watson, Charlie, Simon Morgan etc. and Peter Taylor the manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here