Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Security for Palace game

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
This was a shambles last season. Loads of people need to get to the coach park for buses which was impossible - and then the pushy, shouty police arrived to pile their way through everyone. Just keep them in the stadium for 20 minutes and let us go home. The police seem to have no problem holding us for half an hour at Selhurst.

I took this route from West stand last year to get back to coach park ... as suggested by someone on here. Worked really well. Hopefully OK to do it again this year!

Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 07.52.13.jpeg

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
I was incarcerated inside Selhurst Park during the 5-0, having been refused exit shortly after the 4th goal went in. We were kept in for a good 20-25 minutes after the final whistle that day IIRC, before being kettled down to the station.

I see no reason why they can't be held back for 20 minutes after the final whistle to allow the normal fans to disperse.
Just guessing, but maybe it could be something to do with their options for return train times are more tightly governed than when we go to their place, so they cannot keep them in for half an hour ?? If it is this, it would be sensible for the club or police to say so and we can then stop discussing it

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Last season against Palace when we came out of the East Stand and turned left towards the station there was a dangerous log jam outside the North Stand.
I'm not sure why it happened but it's the only time I've ever felt under any type of physical pressure at The Amex.
Yep I can vouch for that.
I’m 5’9 and 15 stone, and yet was momentarily lifted fully off the ground in the crush at that location.

Scary stuff and thankfully I didn’t have my children with me for that game.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Makes sense BUT thats not clockwise for North and East stands going to stn and thats confusing if SS is blocked both ways as club message clockwise will result in 1000s north and east heading towards south then u-turn back on themselves.
Your confusing things. Those leaving the North are free to head direct to the station as are those in the East.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So does this mean for trains:
leaving East you go via South and west then down to trains from NW corner?
leaving north you have to walk past east then south then west and exit NW corner (Wont this encourage fans to bottle neck walking up to family NW stand to exit there so as to avoid walking around the entire ground?)
leave west stand walk to towards NW corner then walk to trains?
and presume of you lucky enough to be in NW corner you just exit for trains?

I still don't get why this necessary, sorry if im being thick (please someone explain) but if ppl are walking in all directions normally and all those smellhurst lot are contained inside the ground then surely that's workable as always in fact improved as there as less ppl walking in all directions?

I am guessing the all walk in one direction means Police can kettle home fans in a moving kettle if required knowing who is who? But if fans arguably more likely wanting to give these smellhurst lot a smack in the mouth come from the north stand, having us walk via the east stand, south stand then west stand the long way around to the train station (where majority of smellhurst will end up) surely that create possibility of clashes as it is overly reliant on north standers in particular leaving on time (i.e. not staying on for a drink, celebrate with the team a 5-0 win post match etc)?

Im surprised the smellhurst special train stops at Three Bridges - aren't some Albion likely to choose this (or accidentally end up on it?) we always used to have a large fans base in Horsham area not sure how well supported we are in North Sussex but when travelling back to Kensington there were lots of Albion fans with the Chelsea lot on the London bound train.

Just wondering does the Palarse train go from Falmer via Brighton or Lewes? I presume it doesnt stop anywhere before the mentioned Three Bridges. Inevitable it will hold up some home fans trains on route home somewhere but guess thats the price to get the scum outta the City ASAP.
No - East standers to trains go past the North stand, West Standers to coaches also go past the North but obviously in the opposite direction, hence the usual crush behind the North. Palace will be kettled (presumably) down the West side to the station for the Shitsville Express.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Your confusing things. Those leaving the North are free to head direct to the station as are those in the East.
This wasn't the case last year. Those leaving the East met a barrier by the chip stall and were told to head to the South stand. Also those leaving the north by the turnstiles by N1G (north east corner) were sent to the south too. This is where the crush mentioned elsewhere in this thread occurred.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No - East standers to trains go past the North stand, West Standers to coaches also go past the North but obviously in the opposite direction, hence the usual crush behind the North. Palace will be kettled (presumably) down the West side to the station for the Shitsville Express.
This wasn't the case last year. Those leaving the East met a barrier by the chip stall and were told to head to the South stand. Also those leaving the north by the turnstiles by N1G (north east corner) were sent to the south too. This is where the crush mentioned elsewhere in this thread occurred.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ok, my bad, probably getting my years confused……..not going this time anyway so will enjoy reading about it 😬 I always avoid any of it by using the ramp behind the West on to Village Way.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Basically it was a shambles last year and there was a dangerous crush. The next day Barber put out a statement talking about how they were in control the whole time and an "apology" a cabinet minister would have been proud of..

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Can definitely vouch for that. Police were just watching. It was a really unpleasant for me as a 6ft 3in bloke. There were old people and kids who were pretty scared and we were closer than I suspect the club realises to seeing injuries or worse. If security officials haven't learnt some lessons from last season we're in trouble.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe confusing things but that is exactly what happened last season which was totally the police's fault.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I hope they thoroughly frisk the little black clad scroats before letting them in and chuck out anyone trying to smuggle fireworks in (I recognise this will require an "all orifices" search!).

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Last year was chaos. Walked from the West towards the North stand as instructed, then came across a really dangerous crush at the NE corner. They then turned us round and walked us past the palace fans through a 1 metre gap. Completely unnecessary and awfully organised.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Best part for me is my mate is in the West and I'm East and I know it will take him and extra 20 minutes to walk to the coach. One of the rare occasions I get a post match pint.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm really confused by all of this!! Assume due to clockwise direction this year the barrier won't be at the East stand, but by the South West corner as per a previous post, and those of us in the East can just head down towards the station... but who knows!?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I'm really confused by all of this!! Assume due to clockwise direction this year the barrier won't be at the East stand, but by the South West corner as per a previous post, and those of us in the East can just head down towards the station... but who knows!?
Yes, this was also the plan last year but seemingly wasn’t communicated to the police or they misunderstood.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
The issue in the North last season was that the North West exit was closed so everyone had to walk through the concourse to get out and met a lot of people going the same way.

Even when we went to leave an hour later we still had to leave by North East exit.

In addition they didn't open the large exit where players used to go, but expected everyone to leave via the turnstiles exit. This caused a number of stoppages of people trying to get out and a lot of pushing and a bit of a crush.

Whole thing was nuts and scary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here