Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Security checks at football grounds

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
So have Brighton and Hove Albion. They've replace the flimsy gate by the Uni of Brighton with humongous metal bollards that wouldn't look out of place outside MI5.

That reminds me, I was walking to the bus stop the other day with my phone sniffing for a wi fi network to join when up popped 'MI5 Secret surveillance van' on the list of secured networks, I know it was a pure coincidence but right across the road was a rusty old white van. :lol: :lol:

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
When we went to Birmingham a couple of years ago (two adults and a 4 year old) we had our overnight bags with us as we were staying with family. They took our deodorant and the top off my mate's bottle of water. Did think that was a bit excessive.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The searches the stewards perform are utterly pointless, every single one I've ever had consists of some disinterested bloke simply brushing his hands over my arms, sides and occasionally legs, no attempt to apply any pressure and actually feel for anything you shouldn't have on you. Even the ones that use the metal detecting wands don't do that properly, if it beeps they ask what it is and you can tell them anything i.e 'Its my phone mate', they very rarely check. Anyone determined enough could easily smuggle in a weapon if they wanted or a bomb in a false bottomed rucksack, all the searches really serve to do is give some reassurance that security is better to allay peoples fears. The trouble is if the stewards did proper searches no-one would ever get in before kick off and it would just take too long. One other thing I've never understood is this ridiculous rule that some stewards insist on removing small plastic bottle tops before you can enter the ground?!? When did anyone ever in the history of football get seriously injured or maimed by a small blue Buxton water bottle top? And if anyone was going to luzz something at someone surely they would chuck the heavy bottle of water, loose change or some other item more inherently dangerous than a flippin plastic bottle top!

And it would be impossible to employ more stewards in such a cash poor industry to speed things up.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When we went to Birmingham a couple of years ago (two adults and a 4 year old) we had our overnight bags with us as we were staying with family. They took our deodorant and the top off my mate's bottle of water. Did think that was a bit excessive.
Especially when everyone knows terrorists keep their stuff hidden in the talc.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With regards to bottle top removal ( seems pretty random ) it doesn't have any logic because you can buy bottles of fizzy drink or water with tops on in the stadium!

Football is one massive contradiction, from why we bother to security checks like you say. Best not try and rationalise things :)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Unfortunately it's like airports - it gives the illusion of safety. Anyone determined enough will still get through the system.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I assume the sniffer dogs might help with explosives?

That's just wishful thinking. Even assuming you could train them to hold a set of pliers, the chances of a dog knowing whether to cut the red wire or the black wire first are slim to non-existent I would have thought.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Most searches are for a visual deterent only, security companies and gov are fully aware that if a fundamentalist wanted to kill and injure it would be impossible to counter .

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's getting the balance right between the obvious risk and threat, and the needs of a customer paying quite a lot of money to have a (hopefully) good time.

If you ever get to the point where no one is allowed to take any luggage or bags on to an aeroplane, for example, there's almost no point in flying people anywhere.

I often take a bag into the Amex for three main reasons. Either a) I'm taking young kids, and they need stuff from clothes to snacks, and we have a large and expanded family section for just that purpose; b) the same because the match is part of a longer day out, and c) I'm coming straight from work.

Personally I think all three are reasonable, they are essential, and to stop them would be excessive. I'd rather get there earlier and have the bag checked (which it always has been).

Having been at the Stade de France the night of the Paris attacks though, I'll never for forget the steward who denied one of the bombers late entry as he felt the suicide jacket inside a coat. Talk about beyond the call of duty protecting those inside, the terrorist could have detonated it there and then. But denied entry he wandered off and blew only himself up.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
BRIGHTON PRIDE
You may not of noticed, or noticed but thought nothing of it, but all the main roads leading into Brighton city center that were closed because of the parade had large lorries with the 'sprung' rears that you see on the motorway protecting the workers. They were there to stop any attempt at ramming a lorry through the town.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Regular stewards help and there's always some light-hearted banter with the stewards at the gate I use and it's also an advantage that they get to know regular faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here