Sectarian violence in Afghanistan. What the hell are we doing there?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So the stupid effing Afghans are now killing each other. 58 killed in Sectarian bombings.

Remind me again. What exactly is the reason for us being there?

How can the government justify the loss of the lives of our military in this pointless war?

£11bn of taxpayers money so far spent on the Afghan adventure. Boy, could that have been put to better use.

One reason I will never vote for any political party that has supported either this or the Iraq mess.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Attachments

• SEPTEM~1.JPG
    SEPTEM~1.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 36

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
To root out Al queda training camps and restore basic human rights to the populace.

They're murdering each other because they belong to different religious sects. They're not interested in human rights.

And if we are going to send troops to every country that lacks basic human rights, then we're going to have one busy army.

And are you seriously OK with £11bn of taxpayers money going towards restoring human rights in some far off desert populated by muslims?

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
If in the 80s the Yanks and the West hadn't armed and trained and supported the fundamentalist lunatics they are now fighting (including of course Bin Laden) and left the Afghan army and their Soviet allies to fight the battle British and US soldiers are now fighting today, Bin Laden and his cohorts would have been outgunned and destroyed, the nutters would never have gained control of the country, there would never have been an enclave for terrorists to plan and carry out 9/11 and British soldiers would not be losing their lives there today.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

I guess you are attempting to suggest that we're in Afghanistan because of 9/11 to catch the guys wot did it?

Well, they were in Pakistan, so why not send the army there and see how that goes down?

And Western troops on the ground in muslim countries, far from solving the problem or catching the baddies, is likely to result in more 9/11s and more fanatics signing up as suicide bombers.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I guess you are attempting to suggest that we're in Afghanistan because of 9/11 to catch the guys wot did it? - NO, because the people who did it all DIED on 9/11 as well.

Well, they were in Pakistan, so why not send the army there and see how that goes down. - NO they were not. Osama Bin Ladin was there yes, but the 9/11 terrorists ALL DIED in 2001.

And Western troops on the ground in muslim countries, far from solving the problem or catching the baddies, is likely to result in more 9/11s and more fanatics signing up as suicide bombers. - Pure supposition on your part. In fact there is much evidence to prove Al Qaeda are being defeated, AND losing support amongst other Muslim organisations.

Al-Qaeda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If we wasn't in Afgan then we wouldn't have Ross Kemp documentaries :jester:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And are you seriously OK with £11bn of taxpayers money going towards restoring human rights in some far off desert populated by muslims?

Would it make a difference to you if this "far off desert" was populated by jews or christians or hindus or atheists?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It's probably best not to ask why some parts of the photograph have been deliberately obscured.
I could argue that events such as that happened BECAUSE of our involvement in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, and our continued presence there is doing nothing except providing the next generation of terrorists with a cause.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
They're murdering each other because they belong to different religious sects. They're not interested in human rights.

And if we are going to send troops to every country that lacks basic human rights, then we're going to have one busy army.

You were doing fine until those last three words!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I could argue that events such as that happened BECAUSE of our involvement in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, and our continued presence there is doing nothing except providing the next generation of terrorists with a cause.

Be my guest, I'll just sit back and watch you get yourself tied up in knots............

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
So the stupid effing Afghans are now killing each other. 58 killed in Sectarian bombings.

Remind me again. What exactly is the reason for us being there?

Havent you answered the question with your opening sentence? Personally I fully support us being there as the country is obviously in no fit state to look after itself and needs the support of more developed/experienced countries.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What are we doing there? We are securing oil and pipelines for the Americans. We are providing jobs for the British and American private security industry and we are making billions of dollars for pharmceutical companies and weapons manafacturers. In short, we have deliberately, along with the yanks turned Afghanistan into multi trillion money making machine. That is the whole story.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Be my guest, I'll just sit back and watch you get yourself tied up in knots............
How will I end up tying myself up in knots? It seems a pretty straightforward 'cause and effect' argument to me. The convoluted argument is to explain how 7/7 would have happened without Iraq and Afghanistan acting as a 'cause'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
How will I end up tying myself up in knots? It seems a pretty straightforward 'cause and effect' argument to me. The convoluted argument is to explain how 7/7 would have happened without Iraq and Afghanistan acting as a 'cause'.
It would have happened sooner or later, iraq(which i didnt agree with) afghanistan(which i did) may have been the catalyst, but i can remember as far back as 20 years ago my local shopkeeper having handwritten posters, full of anti western rhetoric in his windows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports