Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Second Test: India v England, Visakhapatnam, 17-21 November

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do we really need to play six bowlers, and four quicks?

...and two wicketkeepers! The squad they took to India from Bangladesh seems to be incapable of providing a team suitable for India. I agree they could leave out Finn for an out of form Balance. Atherton today was saying it would be a blessing for Duckett to be put out of his Ashwin misery and 'rested'.

We're going to win at Mohali then 1-1 with Chennai and Mumbai to settle the series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The key was Cook getting out to the final ball last night. He was England's only hope.

Any team has a chance if they win the toss and bat first.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
...and two wicketkeepers! The squad they took to India from Bangladesh seems to be incapable of providing a team suitable for India. I agree they could leave out Finn for an out of form Balance. Atherton today was saying it would be a blessing for Duckett to be put out of his Ashwin misery and 'rested'.

We're going to win at Mohali then 1-1 with Chennai and Mumbai to settle the series.

Balance has had his chance, or more than one chance. Why can't they draft another middle-order batsman in? It seems like the most sensible option in the circumstances. Fingers crossed, it looks like we've solved certain batting conundrums in Hameed as opener, and moving Moheen up to number 5. If so, we're in a much better position than six months ago. So, why not try and find a long-term solution to the number 4 spot?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A little conservative? India were set a target of six an over! If it hadn't deteriorated as much as expected, why did they only leave 53 overs to bowl them out? England's priority was not to lose, rather than win. When India had the upper hand, they went for the jugular.

And more aggressive intent from England may have given Kohli something to think about - as it was, he could keep men around the bat the whole time as he knew England weren't going for it

England lost this game in the first innings by batting poorly and not bowling well, it's got nothing to do with India playing more attacking cricket. Kohli's playing mind games.

You could make a case in the first test that perhaps England could have been quicker on the morning of the 5th day and maybe declared a little earlier. It might have bought them an hour. That's a fair call.

And I'm normally quite prone to having a go at Cook/ Strauss for being negative by the way.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Balance has had his chance, or more than one chance. Why can't they draft another middle-order batsman in? It seems like the most sensible option in the circumstances. Fingers crossed, it looks like we've solved certain batting conundrums in Hameed as opener, and moving Moheen up to number 5. If so, we're in a much better position than six months ago. So, why not try and find a long-term solution to the number 4 spot?

Bat Bairstow at 4 and give Buttler the gloves, even if its just a temporary move. We have a series to win here, Bairstow's long term development as a keeper might have to wait.
Ian Bell?

Can't think of much else.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

In India I would move Moheen, Stokes and Bairstow up one place. Coming in after Hameed, Cook and Root. This is a strong line up.
Then Woakes at 8 followed by Rashid, Anderson and Finn (don't know much about Ball).

This stops number 4 being a problem and makes number 7 the missing link. We don't want Ballance at 7 and Duckett needs a break. So it has to be Buttler who hasn't played for months.

Best team for a more dewy seamier wicket at Mohali. Adaptable as the top 6 can all be defensive or go on the attack. The 4 seamers include 1 all rounder and one all rounder in waiting (Woakes) and the two spinners are the best we can get and can handle a bat.

Looking forward to battle recommending next week.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In India I would move Moheen, Stokes and Bairstow up one place. Coming in after Hameed, Cook and Root. This is a strong line up.
Then Woakes at 8 followed by Rashid, Anderson and Finn (don't know much about Ball).

This stops number 4 being a problem and makes number 7 the missing link. We don't want Ballance at 7 and Duckett needs a break. So it has to be Buttler who hasn't played for months.

Best team for a more dewy seamier wicket at Mohali. Adaptable as the top 6 can all be defensive or go on the attack. The 4 seamers include 1 all rounder and one all rounder in waiting (Woakes) and the two spinners are the best we can get and can handle a bat.

Looking forward to battle recommending next week.

Agreed. Moeen will bat 4, with Buttler at 7.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm going to argue against myself because I've been saying for ages that Moeen needs to earn his place as a batsman first because his bowling isn't good enough for him to be batting 8. However, I think 4 is a spot to high for him, he's too prone to flirting outside his off stump, I'd always fancy him with a new cherry in my hand and the ball doing a bit, I reckon he'd be a walking wicket at 20-2.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm going to argue against myself because I've been saying for ages that Moeen needs to earn his place as a batsman first because his bowling isn't good enough for him to be batting 8. However, I think 4 is a spot to high for him, he's too prone to flirting outside his off stump, I'd always fancy him with a new cherry in my hand and the ball doing a bit, I reckon he'd be a walking wicket at 20-2.

You must be a good baller then :wink:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is it right that Buttler has only played in one match longer than 1 day in the last year? A 2 day match in Bangladesh where he was dropped on the way to 4, is one. Any others?

Still probably our best choice.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Is it right that Buttler has only played in one match longer than 1 day in the last year? A 2 day match in Bangladesh where he was dropped on the way to 4, is one. Any others?

Still probably our best choice.

I'd read he'd played one Championship game for Lancashire in the last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here