[Football] Season ticket sharing

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fair enough ... but my main point was just pay the £20 if someone wants to be able to pass the ticket on.

£20 to odd it on to anyone you know and trust for the season - still a piss take as I’ve done it plenty of times at other clubs and at the Albion - but yeh £20 I could swallow. £20 then £25 per person for the season - means the seat will go empty. Especially when you’ve already paid for it - it’s unfair. Oh **** I’ve just engaged and argued it when I’ve just said I wouldn’t :facepalm: ignore me :lol: it depends on circumstances and how you usually pass your tickets on I guess.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
For those that split the cost of season tickets and share them this is a great idea. (I know several groups of families that split the cost of tickets and pay equal shares and go to equal amount of games.) Gives them a formal way to do what they were doing anyway and the additional cost is minimal. It is for the casual occasional sharing this is too dear for.

Really don’t see why should pay £20 for something that doesn’t benefit me in anyway at all when already paid for season ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
What people seem to be forgetting is this thing called Covid. Pre Covid - passing your ticket to someone else wasn’t a big issue (other than being against PL rules I think?).

But the club needs to be able to trace people if someone attending a match tests positive. How can you do that if they don’t know the identity of those occupying some of the seats?

So to cater for this - and to make it within the rules to pass your ticket to someone - the club has had to put a process in place including the club ticketing website. That’s a cost to the club.

As I’ve stated before - my lads have Albion+ membership in the hope they’ll be able to attend a few games this season (they both work weekends/do shift work - so it won’t be many). And as things stand I will only miss one game - but I still consider it worth paying the £20 so I can pass my ticket on in a correct and traceable way.

And reading some of the comments it looks like some people think the £20 is per game. Just to be clear, it isn’t … so pass the seat on 4 times then it’s £5 a game!

That’s my view - and my last comment on it.

Last edited:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Seems like I may be in a bit of a minority here, but...

I'm fortunate, I rarely need to miss a home game. If I do, I can now phone a friend and ask them if they want the chance to see a live PL game for £25.

If they say yes, I can transfer for £20 - or take a chance that my ticket might sell on the exchange, in which case I might get nothing or most of the cost back.

I also have the oppoprtunity (if I want to), to ask them to split the cost of my £20 fee, so if I miss one game it costs me £10, them £35. If I miss 2 games, I can ask 2 people for £35 each, or £30 each, or whatever.

If they do not want to pay somewhere between £25 and £35 to watch the game - stuff 'em, they are not fans, I'll put it on the exchange and give someone else the chance.

I know, I know, for some people £25 is still a lot of money. But surely, for the chance to watch your favourite team live, most people will find a way?

As I say, probably in a minority here...

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What people seem to be forgetting is this thing called Covid. Pre Covid - passing your ticket to someone else wasn’t a big issue (other than being against PL rules I think?).

But the club needs to be able to trace people if someone attending a match tests positive. How can you do that if they don’t know the identity of those occupying some of the seats?

So to cater for this - and to make it within the rules to pass your ticket to someone - the club has had to put a process in place including the club ticketing website. That’s a cost to the club.

As I’ve stated before - my lads have Albion+ membership in the hope they’ll be able to attend a few games this season (they both work weekends/do shift work - so it won’t be many). And as things stand I will only miss one game - but I still consider it worth paying the £20 so I can pass my ticket on in a correct and traceable way.

That’s my view - and my last comment on it.

Agree with nearly all this just not about the STH having to pay the £20. It’s just another “admin charge” to make get more out of fans.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Agree with nearly all this just not about the STH having to pay the £20. It’s just another “admin charge” to make get more out of fans.

£20 for the season though - to cover the cost of the new process no doubt? That’s the cost of a few pints - ish!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
£20 for the season though? That’s the cost of a few pints - ish!

Yeah but it just feels like a pisstake by the club. Like [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] I doubt I’ll change my mind soon about this.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

But it's not a charge. You don't have to pay it and if you choose not to pay it, your ST remains 100% unaffected. All it means is you can no longer pass on a ST to someone who effectively has no right to use it. The club lost somewhere around £50m+ last year. This is an optional fee to give STHs flexibility around passing on a ticket. I know it was a condition of the planning consent but people are pretty quick to accept the free (club paid) travel for the last 10 years but baulk at this discretionary £20 charge?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah but it just feels like a pisstake by the club. Like [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] I doubt I’ll change my mind soon about this.

Yes - it’s £20 for the season PLUS £25-£28 each person - for a ticket already paid for. And from what I can see, no / few other clubs have done this. They’re all transferable for £0 at the member / owners risk / vouch. Ok I haven’t researched that many but I’m sure very few, if any, have done the same. So not buying the covid thing. If that’s the issue (ID) just make it free to assign the ticket to another person for the game and their id can be checked - and you can even hold the person passing it on (STH) as responsible for their guest. There’s no excuse for this tbh. Money. Money. Money. Premier league football for you.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But it's not a charge. You don't have to pay it and if you choose not to pay it, your ST remains 100% unaffected. All it means is you can no longer pass on a ST to someone who effectively has no right to use it. The club lost somewhere around £50m+ last year. This is an optional fee to give STHs flexibility around passing on a ticket. I know it was a condition of the planning consent but people are pretty quick to accept the free (club paid) travel for the last 10 years but baulk at this discretionary £20 charge?

Correct - it’s not a selfish gripe. If anything a selfless one - I want to give friends and family the experience and bums on seats and they will spend money there etc - it’s a lose out for the club. If you go as a pair and one can’t make it you feel bad for the other person - unless they stump up £45 for say 1 game or 2 games - and then maybe a contribution to the match ticket cost… it wasn’t broke imo, it’s just about squeezing more out of loyal fans… much love though x

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes - it’s £20 for the season PLUS £25-£28 each person - for a ticket already paid for. And from what I can see, no / few other clubs have done this. They’re all transferable for £0 at the member / owners risk / vouch. Ok I haven’t researched that many but I’m sure very few, if any, have done the same. So not buying the covid thing. If that’s the issue (ID) just make it free to assign the ticket to another person for the game and their id can be checked - and you can even hold the person passing it on (STH) as responsible for their guest. There’s no excuse for this tbh. Money. Money. Money. Premier league football for you.

And no other club has to pay to bus and train fans to and from their stadium every home game for the past 10 years. People can't just take the stuff they like, such as free travel, and then complain about the stuff they don't like. And once again, nobody HAS to pay this. It is optional.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Correct - it’s not a selfish gripe. If anything a selfless one - I want to give friends and family the experience and bums on seats and they will spend money there etc - it’s a lose out for the club. If you go as a pair and one can’t make it you feel bad for the other person - unless they stump up £45 for say 1 game or 2 games - and then maybe a contribution to the match ticket cost… it wasn’t broke imo, it’s just about squeezing more out of loyal fans… much love though x

And much love to you and yours Sheebs, as always mate.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

All true and I’ll not be paying it so leaving my seat empty when I can’t make it. Shame.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The ticket can be downloaded to any smart phone, I’ve got both my season ticket and my daughters ticket on my phone for Saturday. There isn’t a limit to the number of tickets that can be saved to a device, it’s just more work to do at the turnstile making sure you select the kids tickets and get them in before you do your own.

I assume your son is an My Albion+ member and on your brother in laws friends and family. In which case your BIL just goes through the ticket sharing process, he will then get an email with the ticket for your son, which he can forward to you for you to save to a smart phone, or pop to the local library to print etc.

Thanks all sorted.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
£20 to odd it on to anyone you know and trust for the season - still a piss take as I’ve done it plenty of times at other clubs and at the Albion - but yeh £20 I could swallow. £20 then £25 per person for the season - means the seat will go empty. Especially when you’ve already paid for it - it’s unfair. Oh **** I’ve just engaged and argued it when I’ve just said I wouldn’t :facepalm: ignore me :lol: it depends on circumstances and how you usually pass your tickets on I guess.

100% agree New system very good for a few people to share a ST. but not suitable for those that miss odd game. For eg if miss one game cost is additional £45. I know of no one who can afford or can go to most games that doesnt have a ST so when I have missed odd game has gone to somebody who follows Albion but doesnt go and to be honest would never have nerve to say to them I cant go and you can use my ticket for £25. I wrote to Barber and suggested ticket could be passed on max of 2/3 times at no cost and of course supplying full details of person. I didnt get a reply but suggest you do the same

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
About 1,400 tickets left for Watford. There might also be a number of S/T holders who don’t pass on their ticket.

That’s pretty good considering it’s only Watford, where we are in the pandemic, that there is a new ticketing system, it’s holiday season, the capacity has gone up and people need to navigate the Covid-19 entry system to get access.

Pretty pretty good.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I presume that it’s easy enough to transfer a ticket between phones, or is there a technical hitch I’ve not thought of? I upgraded my phone a couple of months back and was thinking that it’d be fairly straightforward to transfer my season ticket to the old phone if/when I wanted to lend it to someone other than the usual recipient.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just transferred my Dad's ticket to my daughter for this weekend. Pretty straight forward process, the only criticism i'd have of the system is that the ticket gets emailed back to the orignial ticket holder as a print at home ticket (with links to download to smart phone) to forward to the person who is now attending. Would make more sense for the ticket to be sent straight to the new person attending the game as their email address etc is held by the club as part of their My Albion membership. Not a big deal, but would make the whole process a lot smoother.

Only just read this after my previous post. So if I’ve understood correctly, this means that if neither I nor the usual recipient of my ST can go, then I can still transfer the ticket to him, but rather than forwarding him the email with the print-at-home ticket and download link, I can just forward it to someone else as a one-off lend, right? Sounds ideal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports