Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket Match Upgrade - Taking the Mick

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Who on earth is going to pay £42 for match day ticket. Maybe if you are on holiday or visiting relative. However if you are a supporter who cannot afford season ticket or can only go to half the games no way. Appreciate you can buy in corner for less but whats the point if your friends are not there. Why dont they reduce prices to say £32

Sheffield Wednesday fans?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Who on earth is going to pay £42 for match day ticket. Maybe if you are on holiday or visiting relative. However if you are a supporter who cannot afford season ticket or can only go to half the games no way. Appreciate you can buy in corner for less but whats the point if your friends are not there. Why dont they reduce prices to say £32

Presumably because £42 is what the market can bare. Beyond other elements (like the fact that the club would then have to bring down the cost of season tickets to keep them good value), the £10 reduction means the club has to sell 1.3x as many tickets to make the same money. They're making the bet that £10 reduction won't do that. Now, of course, you can make the argument that this is an incredible shot term view; reducing prices may not attract 1.3x as many fans but it may attract new fans who then come again and again, making more money in the long term.

I guess the broader question is whether or not football is good value in general? Even at my season ticket price, I probably pay about £20 a game. I can go to the cinema for about £10 and it'll probably be longer than a game of football. Sure, I enjoy it a different amount and in different ways, but I don't know if I'd be noticeably less happy if I chose films over football.

On the other hand, I can go see Bryan Adams at the Brighton Centre on Sunday night and that's £50 for a standing ticket! I mean I don't like Bryan Adams, but even if I did that doesn't seem like brilliant value for money.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Presumably because £42 is what the market can bare. Beyond other elements (like the fact that the club would then have to bring down the cost of season tickets to keep them good value), the £10 reduction means the club has to sell 1.3x as many tickets to make the same money. They're making the bet that £10 reduction won't do that. Now, of course, you can make the argument that this is an incredible shot term view; reducing prices may not attract 1.3x as many fans but it may attract new fans who then come again and again, making more money in the long term.

I guess the broader question is whether or not football is good value in general? Even at my season ticket price, I probably pay about £20 a game. I can go to the cinema for about £10 and it'll probably be longer than a game of football. Sure, I enjoy it a different amount and in different ways, but I don't know if I'd be noticeably less happy if I chose films over football.

On the other hand, I can go see Bryan Adams at the Brighton Centre on Sunday night and that's £50 for a standing ticket! I mean I don't like Bryan Adams, but even if I did that doesn't seem like brilliant value for money.

I never understand why people compare the price of football to going to a concert or the cinema. Football is completely different, it is not a one off, it's in your blood and therefore the comparison is worthless.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I never understand why people compare the price of football to going to a concert or the cinema. Football is completely different, it is not a one off, it's in your blood and therefore the comparison is worthless.

I'd disagree with that very much. It's just what you love. Some people love concerts or films in the same, or very similar way. For me football draws me in far more passionately than my other examples, but I know people who will go to gigs as frequently, or more frequently, than I watch football and just love to see live music.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Of course they have to charge you full whack for an upgrade, else what is stopping someone like me just buying a U10 ticket for a fraction of the price of a full one and upgrading at a cheaper rate as and when I want to attend?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The £10 difference from what season ticket cost per game is too big. I see plenty of empty seats near us in East Upper that i know people would take at lower price. I suppose club bank on doing well and last 5 games they will have no trouble selling. Begs question why not price match day tickets match by match depending on demand. Personaly wouldnt care what price they sold empty seats at. I buy my season on price,have same seat and sit with group of friends

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The £10 difference from what season ticket cost per game is too big. I see plenty of empty seats near us in East Upper that i know people would take at lower price. I suppose club bank on doing well and last 5 games they will have no trouble selling. Begs question why not price match day tickets match by match depending on demand. Personaly wouldnt care what price they sold empty seats at. I buy my season on price,have same seat and sit with group of friends

They already do price them on perceived demand, that's why the club have match categories. On a C grade match, the £42 tickets are £35 for example. Seems to be a £6 or £7 reduction from A to C in general.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course they have to charge you full whack for an upgrade, else what is stopping someone like me just buying a U10 ticket for a fraction of the price of a full one and upgrading at a cheaper rate as and when I want to attend?
I believe some people used to reserve their seats all season with U10 tickets, and upgraded to adult pro-rata rates when they wanted to go.

They club have now caught on to this.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'm really confused. I thought you could upgrade a concession ticket up to 6 times a season. Upgrading to a pro rata adult price should be about £6 from the £20 senior pro rata price. Plus the booking fee, natch.

Seems like he's been charged for a full adult price.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Shame this game is £42- Tuesday's game is only £10 which seems like a better deal for the same 90 minutes action.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've had two tickets for the past 5 years. Gave one up as Daughter became 22 and only came to a handfull of games. Best thing is, her seat is empty for all available games that are on sale so I could just buy individual game tickets at a good saving.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
£42 for ticket! Stuff that! Football can go and **** itself!:moo:

I wonder whether the number of NSC posters who also think that about you rather than football whenever they see one of your tedious posts (inevitably thumbed up by that other serial loser Das Reich) runs into the hundreds or thousands?

Jan 30, 2008
I wonder whether the number of NSC posters who also think that about you rather than football whenever they see one of your tedious posts (inevitably thumbed up by that other serial loser Das Reich) runs into the hundreds or thousands?

how much are you prepared to pay to watch a game of football?
regards
DR

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Booking fees are a pisstake full stop.

Agreed. I'm sure if Paul Barber walked into Tesco and got charged an extra £1.50 for using a normal till to cover the 'cashier and software costs' he'd be the first to to tell them to eff off. Booking fees are nothing but a con.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I assume you think £42 to watch 90 ish minutes of football is good value then ? Would you like to buy my magic beans ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here