[Albion] Sean Dyche pre-Albion press conference

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

On Everton​

- Believes Everton are now converting chances and defending well
- Team now have a tougher team ethic and are difficult to beat.
- Coleman, Alli and Gomes all still out
- Jack Harrison improving.
- Mykolenko doing well. Defending well. Lots of strengths to his game. Can develop his attacking game more, but likes defenders to be defenders.
- Not obsessed with the table - it's a whole season. But we've made progress - more effective.
- Feel Everton should have more points on the board.
- Doesn't get involved in takeover talks.
- Expect things to be difficult financially in January transfer window.
- Winning mentality grows and adds confidence

On Facing Brighton​

- Brighton still a very good side, they've sold a couple but are still good. Need to be tactically right. We did that at the Amex last season.
- Brighton flexed recently with a back three, but they're a passing side who like to break through the middle
- We need to be tactically aware. Teams that have done well against them have been good tactically.
- Didn't know much about RDZ before he came in. He's done a very good job there, changing the style.

On Last Season's Amex Win​

- Best tactical performance since he's been at Everton, not necessarily the best performance overall.
- Players responded to the challenge. They were high-flying at the time.

On Brighton's Recruitment​

- It's not just RDZ, but recruitment, and they look like they've got that right the last couple of years.
- Brighton have been shopping in quite a healthy pool. If you look back 4 or 5 years, they've spent quite a lot of money.
- We're all looking at different way of recruiting. They cover a large part of the planet. Benham at Brentford does a very similar thing.
- They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to.
- They've signed some very good players in the last couple of seasons, and coached them well a well. As have Brentford.
- There's been a lot of work put into their systems before they got to where they are now.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
"They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to."

This is a bit of an odd take, IMO. I don't think we've made A LOT of mistakes along the way. Out of context, it seems a bit of a sour grapes comment to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to."

This is a bit of an odd take, IMO. I don't think we've made A LOT of mistakes along the way. Out of context, it seems a bit of a sour grapes comment to me.
Yeah, it felt like he had a bit of a gripe with how we are perceived.

You can watch that bit from 7;35 onwards.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Yeah, it felt like he had a bit of a gripe with how we are perceived.

You can watch that bit from 7;35 onwards.
Which is surprising to me, as he's generally someone who is fairly balance and talks a lot of sense. On this particular point though, he's definitely communicating via his rear end.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
- They know and I know, and it doesn't get talked about, but they've made a lot of mistakes along the way. It's taken them a long time to get to where they've got to.

Twat.

Helpfully, he bought Dale Stephens from us at just the right time. And, of course, Everton took Maupay off our hands...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Most of that is fair enough. I quite enjoy Dyche, bar when he is being a moaning twat on the sidelines.

Not sure what the 'spent a lot of money' line is about though. Compared to who?

This season net spend: +£90m
Last season: +£75m
21/22: +£2m
20/21: -£20m
19/20: -£50m

£100m in the black over the last five years... Even if he is referring to the two seasons where we were in the red, compare that with the teams we are competing with in the top 10 and it pales in comparison.

Everton are about £40m up over the last three seasons, but only because of FFP. Their net spend over the two seasons prior was -£80m, so £-40m for the same period...

It's not even relevant anyway!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Most of that is fair enough. I quite enjoy Dyche, bar when he is being a moaning twat on the sidelines.

£100m in the black over the last five years... Even if he is referring to the two seasons where we were in the red, compare that with the teams we are competing with in the top 10 and it pales in comparison.

Everton are about £40m up over the last three seasons, but only because of FFP. Their net spend over the two seasons prior was -£80m, so £-40m for the same period...

Given Everton have spent about half a billion quid on absolute dross over the past decade, he's not exactly on firm ground throwing stones about spending.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

To be fair and it won't be a popular opinion but we spent hugest sums of money getting into the premier league and signed lots of duds along the way.

We quite rightly get praised for our recruitment strategy but people rarely reference how we got there. Whilst it includes the stadium and training facility we've accumulated half a billion pounds of debt most of which has gone on transfers and covering our losses.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Everton are no longer a basket case on the pitch. Even during their terrible start to the season they were missing loads of chances. This game is no longer the gimme that many mistakenly thought it would be earlier this season.

Dyche finally seems to be making an impact there. A very tough game in prospect.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

When asked about out recruitment, it was put to him that Barber said we have to shop in a different pool to other clubs, and his response was that we've been shopping in a "healthy pool" and spent a lot of money.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I find it hard to dislike the ginger dalek to be honest. I genuinely wish him well there, just not against us.
I’m the opposite, I find it really hard to to like him at all. Typical ‘real football man’. Wish he’d piss off to Doha and retire with his equally twattish ‘real football man’ mates Allardyce, Keys and Gray.

Comes across as a twat in some of those responses about us too - he really doesn’t like modern thinking clubs like us and the way we are perceived. I don’t like the way his teams play football (and that they always seem to beat us!), he’s got a chip on his shoulder generally and his passive aggressive way of complaining about referees practically every game pisses me off.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I get what he's saying (and it's true with the likes of the Locadia and Ali J) that mistakes have been made. But not 'a lot' (but then it's easy to take quotes literally when Dyche is just talking off the cuff). And also, that was in a different era and setup – which is maybe where, as he says, it's taken a long time to get where we are.

I wouldn't really take it as sour grapes, more a bit of balance (although it's a bit of a stretch) to the whole 'Brighton are the best run club in the world EVER' chat the goes on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I’m the opposite, I find it really hard to to like him at all. Typical ‘real football man’. Wish he’d piss off to Doha and retire with his equally twattish ‘real football man’ mates Allardyce, Keys and Gray.

Comes across as a twat in some of those responses about us too - he really doesn’t like modern thinking clubs like us and the way we are percieved. I don’t like the way his teams play football (and that they always seem to beat us!), he’s got a chip on his shoulder generally and his passive aggressive way of complaining about referees practically every game pisses me off.
I think it was @Not Andy Naylor who told us that he's nothing like that "real football man" persona when he's not doing pressers, and backed it up with some decent video evidence. He's not a thick Harry Redknapp type.

He was the one who got Burnley to the yo-yo status they now enjoy and he did so by working with what he had. Better than that actually - he got them so high that they enjoyed a European tour. I think that deserves respect. He's now seemingly gradually turning Everton around, suggesting he's no "yesterday's man".

I like him. I bet he'd be great company in the pub.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I get what he's saying (and it's true with the likes of the Locadia and Ali J) that mistakes have been made. But not 'a lot' (but then it's easy to take quotes literally when Dyche is just talking off the cuff). And also, that was in a different era and setup – which is maybe where, as he says, it's taken a long time to get where we are.

I wouldn't really take it as sour grapes, more a bit of balance (although it's a bit of a stretch) to the whole 'Brighton are the best run club in the world EVER' chat the goes on.

This is exactly how I took his comments, just provided a bit of balance. Shows that he has a decent understanding on our journey to where we are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here