Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Seagulls V Mariners - Memories

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, I was another at the 2-2 relegation game.

The only other time I can remember seeing us play them was the following season at Withdean. I think it was the first game after Coppell ponced off to Reading, we won, and three days later I moved to Japan.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Went there in '77 (I think it was) on the famous Seagull SpeciaI train. We lost 2-0 or 3-0. The buffet car caught fire on the way home. It's only because of the fire that I even vaguely remember it.
Yes I was there , I think it was 76 , the previous Tuesday we had played Ipswich who were in the top division back then and knocked them out of the league cup after a replay

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I was there for the 5-0 and 2-2 games already mentioned. My first visit was a 4-2 defeat in (I've just had to look it up to check the year) 1967. Probably been to a few more but can't remember now.....

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The no bait digging sign not far from the ground and Alan Biley hitting the ball over the crossbar from a yard out.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My memory of a Grimsby game was at Withdean on a cold midweek game.

A message came over the PA system asking the owner of a Silver Mercedes to move it as it was blocking someone in, in the car park.

Someone piped up very loudly “ MERCEDES ! OBVIOUSLY NOT A GRIMSBY SUPPORTER ! “

Perhaps you had to be there, but funny at the time.:)

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Been three times to watch us at Grimsby. The 5-0 I was sat in the Findus Stand. You could see over the opposite stand to the estuary. Watched a full-scale rescue of a small fishing boat, eventually they managed to tow it back in. Far more exciting than the game.
I was also in that stand for that game - because that's where the comp tickets were for. I was also going to comment on that view - spectacular! Compares to the view across Newcastle from their away end (or level).
Must have been Melia's last game as manager.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Not sure about the play-off reference there. No play-offs then.

My memories. Opening day of the 85/86 season. 2-2 draw that day.

I have made one visit there. Some will remember. A Tuesday night trip in 1992 and a 1-0 win. I think Albion were staging a mini revival at that point but still went down. The years I followed Brighton away have to be amongst the dullest ever. Still, we never had to worry about tickets or owt like that.
Apologies, it was actually for automatic promotion and we needed a lot of improbable results and help from other teams. Needless to say, we did not do it…

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Was there for the 2-2 relegation game. They were already bottom and down, but I think we went there needing snookers (a win, and Stoke to beat Reading, or something). I remember that twunt equalising and running behind the goal pointing down at all us lot. Despite the fact he'd been relegated a week or two earlier.

What an absolute CHOMPER
He’s the reason I really want us to win!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Only been to one Albion v Grimsby game, that was back in 1985 at the start of the season 2-2 draw, lovely sunny day if I recall correctly.
Pretty sure Gary Hobson and his brother played for Grimsby at the time.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
2-1 defeat in 2004. Some chap in goal I'd not heard of. Oh wait...

1678107926826.png

13) Stuart Jones
2004, 3 appearances

With Kuipers recovering from his car crash and Roberts injured, he was thrown into the play-off place battle by Mark McGhee for three games in 2004. Not that it went particularly well - a substitutes appearance in a 1-1 draw at Wycombe followed by defeats 2-0 at Luton and 2-1 at Grimsby. He wasn't seen again after.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
February 2004. We went to Hull first to deliver the Valentines card to John Prescott's agent in the constituency office, and then crossed the Humber Bridge to Blundell Park. Grimsby scored in the 5th minute, it was cold, raining and the pitch was a quagmire. Trevor Benjamin equalised and then in the second half, Jones (keeper on loan) had the ball in his hands, but was pushed in the mud, so slid over the goal line. The referee allowed the goal. :mad:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Where it all began for me - 1988 at home.
Sat in the West Stand and my overriding memory is laughing every time the North Stand sung, “You’re shit aaaaaaaaaaagggghhh!”

A very dull 0-0.
I remember this one. In the North Stand. It was my first game wearing contact lenses (I'd always refused to wear specs as a cool teen before and squinted my way through the previous seasons) -
A revelation - wow I can clearly see (this shite)

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yes that 2-2 was horrible
Took all the kids promising them an afternoon on the beach
At one point we thought we were safe as Stoke scored if I remember rightly
Ended up on Mablethorpe beach (what a dump) for about 20 minutes after the game
Highlight was standing next to a Nun in the Urinal🤔

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes that 2-2 was horrible
Took all the kids promising them an afternoon on the beach
At one point we thought we were safe as Stoke scored if I remember rightly
Ended up on Mablethorpe beach (what a dump) for about 20 minutes after the game
Highlight was standing next to a Nun in the Urinal🤔
If I remember rightly it was Stoke we were battling and Reading lost to them - don’t think at any point Reading were winning - cba to look it up!

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I was there for the 4-2 midweek game.
After going 2-0 down the local fish botherers were giving it large and to be fair who could blame them at the time. Then came the fightback, and it was Alan Biley I think who got 2 of the 4 we scored. Scenes, up there with one of my favourite away days.
I was there too, not many of us in that corner, but hey boy did we go crazy. Those were some great days. I had to hide in a woman's house after match as we got chased down a road and down an alley. Then a woman came out with a broomstick and then invited us back in for a cup of tea. What memories

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
If I remember rightly it was Stoke we were battling and Reading lost to them - don’t think at any point Reading were winning - cba to look it up!
There was a few minutes when we were safe on paper - it may have been another game then - but I definitely remember the buzz and then the huge down again!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A 0-0 in 1988.

Gary Chivers debut, a cold grey day, 7000ish at the Goldstone.

Not a classic

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here