Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls player

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
what the hell is going on down there
no commentary for most of the first half Saturday due to technical difficulties (this according to commentator who I tweeted during the match)
and I have just received an email from them saying am I sure its not me yeh right me and the rest of the worldwide supporters
is there nobody who actually tunes in online to listen or not in this case,does nobody check things are in place and working on the day seems obvious the Barnsley crew did as there was working OK
so Ok we have now established its not rocket science.
I mean Christ on a bike we can get a vehicle on Mars to send back messages
and this really is to difficult?
PLEASE GET IT SORTED

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Hi Glasfryn

I'm afraid I let everyone down on Saturday. For the first time in several years I missed the Seagulls Player commentary.

I guess I am the feedback you talk about, and under normal circumstances would have rung the studio well in advance of the start of the game to get it sorted.

I would dearly like the direct phone number to go to a second person as back up, but have been asked not to hand it out.

Sorry

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Hi Glasfryn

I'm afraid I let everyone down on Saturday. For the first time in several years I missed the Seagulls Player commentary.

I guess I am the feedback you talk about, and under normal circumstances would have rung the studio well in advance of the start of the game to get it sorted.

I would dearly like the direct phone number to go to a second person as back up, but have been asked not to hand it out.

Sorry

Can the direct phone number be given to somebody at the club working in media relations ? If they're monitoring and sending out tweets on matchday , any problem will get picked up straight away and dealt with.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
This reminds me. I have had a monthly SP subscription for about 4 years paying by DD and all of a sudden last week I received a email telling me my membership had 'expired' and that I had to sign up again.

What is this all about, and was it just me?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The whole IT thing at the Club is sub standard and not in keeping with the new approach to the rest of the Clubs ambitions. Ticket booking is overly complicated, what we pay for on Player is something we have paid twice for, with our BBC licence fee and subscription for Player. Also because it's just a cheap way of providing coverage, we get the doubtful benefit of the Crawley Aldershot and every other sporting activity in Sussex and surrounding Counties. They almost missed one of the Albion Goals on Saturday apart from the fact that nobody whose responsible, even noticed Player wasn't on!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Can the direct phone number be given to somebody at the club working in media relations ? If they're monitoring and sending out tweets on matchday , any problem will get picked up straight away and dealt with.

I took this on voluntarily several years ago. During those times Player was absolute crap and after lengthy discussions with Paul Camillin we agreed I would ring in 30 minutes before kick off if no commentary was on line. This would give them time to fix it before KO.

More recently things have been much better and I ring in perhaps twice or three times a season. On Saturday I was caught out.

My earliest suggestion was that someone at the club should monitor it, but apparently this is at a time when everyone is at their busiest - understandably.

In the past almost all the problems seem to have been down to the BBC crew not pushing the right buttons to effect the connection. Its very rare for Seagulls Player itself to have a problem.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
This reminds me. I have had a monthly SP subscription for about 4 years paying by DD and all of a sudden last week I received a email telling me my membership had 'expired' and that I had to sign up again.

The price went up...

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
no commentary for most of the first half Saturday due to technical difficulties (this according to commentator who I tweeted during the match)
and I have just received an email from them saying am I sure its not me yeh right me and the rest of the worldwide supporters
is there nobody who actually tunes in online to listen or not in this case,does nobody check things are in place and working on the day seems obvious the Barnsley crew did as there was working OK
PLEASE GET IT SORTED

Same here mate!!.. My last email to them is as follows

Hi,

As stated (and as an IT guy) the problem was not a local issue and
definitely nothing to do with corrupted cookies or cache as everyone
on the forum for that website had the same problem and I tried on
other browsers. It is not the first time it happened. My question was
is do we get compensated for lack of service?
Also, there was a problem on your side, it is worrying that you have
no knowledge of it. For proof that this issue was on multiple PCs, I
sent a link in my previous email.

Regards,

The link was a link to NSC where everyone was complaining..

Their original email was the best

We can confirm that the commentary is working fine from our end.

Could you please access the below link in order to access the live commentary,

West Bromwich Albion | Player | Live Matches

Please feel free to contact us if we can be of any further assistance.

WBA??? Wrong Bloody Albion

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

No I got it too - ignored it, whether that was sensible though remains to be seen

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Technical problems happen, I accept that But I've been bouncing emails back and forth since Saturday attempting to complain only to be told "no no, we had no problems on Saturday."
Being out of Sussex now, I rely on SP for commentary and it's pretty disappointing to hear less and less of it over the last couple of seasons. Perhaps if enough people point out this thread, player networks or whatever they're called will accept their responsibility and start checkin feeds. I have a horrid feeling from their flat out denial of problems that the feeds are entirely unmonitored

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Have to say that when I first signed up the service was crap but improved consistently. Unfortunately the service to other users of the "player" network has also improved significantly and now invariably outstrips what seagulls player offers both in terms of frequency and length of interviews and matchday video and consistency of radio commentary. This season has been particularly poor on the live commentary front with system failures affecting three games already.

I understand the point that player is not run by the club but the poor quality reflects on them and they need to engage in improving it - they do after all profit from it at many levels.

I also understand that I can access longer match highlights (even the full game) via any and (almost) every opponent's home site even if seagulls player refuses to improve it's service. Of course it's a solution but unfortunately one that rather reinforces the point about the relatively poor service our club offers (and yes I do know that we short change purchasers of player expressly to profit from match DVD sales).

I see many clubs have updated their sites which are now much more proactive than our OS. All in all we seem to be slipping further and further behind in the important battle to win hearts and minds via the internet when it is such a crucial medium.

Poor show at the moment in my opinion needing urgent professional attention.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Hi Glasfryn

Sorry

no need to apologise mate its hardly your fault but for you we would have been out in the cold many times

The whole IT thing at the Club is sub standard and not in keeping with the new approach to the rest of the Clubs ambitions. Ticket booking is overly complicated, what we pay for on Player is something we have paid twice for, with our BBC licence fee and subscription for Player. Also because it's just a cheap way of providing coverage, we get the doubtful benefit of the Crawley Aldershot and every other sporting activity in Sussex and surrounding Counties. They almost missed one of the Albion Goals on Saturday apart from the fact that nobody whose responsible, even noticed Player wasn't on!

this is the whole point nobody else noticed only the ones who unfortunately are paying for it

I took this on voluntarily several years ago. During those times Player was absolute crap and after lengthy discussions with Paul Camillin we agreed I would ring in 30 minutes before kick off if no commentary was on line. This would give them time to fix it before KO.

More recently things have been much better and I ring in perhaps twice or three times a season. On Saturday I was caught out.

My earliest suggestion was that someone at the club should monitor it, but apparently this is at a time when everyone is at their busiest - understandably.

In the past almost all the problems seem to have been down to the BBC crew not pushing the right buttons to effect the connection. Its very rare for Seagulls Player itself to have a problem.

we could always ask Ryan Harley

Have to say that when I first signed up the service was crap but improved consistently. Unfortunately the service to other users of the "player" network has also improved significantly and now invariably outstrips what seagulls player offers both in terms of frequency and length of interviews and matchday video and consistency of radio commentary. This season has been particularly poor on the live commentary front with system failures affecting three games already.

I understand the point that player is not run by the club but the poor quality reflects on them and they need to engage in improving it - they do after all profit from it at many levels.

I also understand that I can access longer match highlights (even the full game) via any and (almost) every opponent's home site even if seagulls player refuses to improve it's service. Of course it's a solution but unfortunately one that rather reinforces the point about the relatively poor service our club offers (and yes I do know that we short change purchasers of player expressly to profit from match DVD sales).

I see many clubs have updated their sites which are now much more proactive than our OS. All in all we seem to be slipping further and further behind in the important battle to win hearts and minds via the internet when it is such a crucial medium.

Poor show at the moment in my opinion needing urgent professional attention.

spot on mate

I will try tweeting Paul Camlin he does seem to be at the pointy end

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
PLEASE GET IT SORTED
I got the same email back, basically saying that it was a problem at my end.....cheeky bastards.

I put them right :D

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I have tweeted Paul Camlin
so we will see if that makes any difference

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

The reason why one of the goals was nearly missed was because of an irrelevant update on the game in which Crawley were playing , that was down to the BBC. I don't think it is surprising that the company responsible for Player are sending out stock answers to e-mail enquiries as it seems there is an over reliance in automation and the only motivation is maintaining a healthy profit margin for themselves and the Football League.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The reason why one of the goals was nearly missed was because of an irrelevant update on the game in which Crawley were playing , that was down to the BBC. I don't think it is surprising that the company responsible for Player are sending out stock answers to e-mail enquiries as it seems there is an over reliance in automation and the only motivation is maintaining a healthy profit margin for themselves and the Football League.

I think in most cases (as stated above) that Seagulls Player is working perfectly. The problem is that they are not receiving the signal from the BBC at the ground. I have asked why SP cant monitor all their outputs and the answer is they would need to monitor every game for 90 minutes and that would be too expensive at the current costs, so they rely on others (BBC) feeding the signal in reliably.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I think in most cases (as stated above) that Seagulls Player is working perfectly. The problem is that they are not receiving the signal from the BBC at the ground. I have asked why SP cant monitor all their outputs and the answer is they would need to monitor every game for 90 minutes and that would be too expensive at the current costs, so they rely on others (BBC) feeding the signal in reliably.

Once SP is on it works ok (apart from the intermittent stuttering or drop outs now and again) , whoever at the BBC is responsible for pressing the right button needs to verify that the link is working properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here