Seagulls giant flag?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

richmond

May 30, 2008
Sorry, I know this has been discussed a lot in the past but was the flag ever found? If so, will it make an appearance at Orient?

If it wasn't found is there a chance a new one will be made?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
It was never found or so I've heard:down:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Would anyone be prepared to organise buying a new one?

I thought the old one was fantastic.

But where could it be kept?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
How much would it cost to get a replacement made? I'd be willin' (to contribute) for a shillin'..

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Which company made it? Could we have a whip round and get another one made?

I believe the original "company" (man) had some sort of breakdown halfway through making it. I'm sure at least one visit to his house had to be made before it was actually done. Can't remember to be honest, but would probably go with someone else this time...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The main problems are

1. Storage
2. Having bodies willing to move the flag to coach/car
3. Transporting the flag to games
4. Having bodies who can be bothered to stay behind after a game to move the flag back to transport
5. Transporting it back to storage
6. Drying flag when wet to avoid damage

So very unlikely

Lush

Mods' Pet
The first Giant Flag died because no-one really wanted to take charge of looking after it (it was big and heavy and took up a lot of space in a garage or shed).

It needed an estate car or equivalent to collect it, drive it to games and at least six people to lug it from said car to the ground and back (missing out on pre- or post-match drinking).

Oh - and someone needed to get permission from the away ground in advance. It was a pig when wet and occasionally needed washing, somehow.

Collecting money for a new one is the least of your worries.

The main problems are

1. Storage
2. Having bodies willing to move the flag to coach/car
3. Transporting the flag to games
4. Having bodies who can be bothered to stay behind after a game to move the flag back to transport
5. Transporting it back to storage
6. Drying flag when wet to avoid damage

So very unlikely
Exactly. That's what went wrong the last time. For whatever reason (and the most likely would have been a shortage of people to shift it around), it was never returned to its safe, dry storage space at Withdean. It was therefore left, in its storage bag, in the open air, outside the stewards hut in the northeast corner at Withdean. Where it remained for months - until it was thrown out, with other detritus from some building work that was going on, by some people who assumed - quite reasonably, I would say - that no-one was interested in it.

And if anyone claims that all it takes is four people to look after it when it gets an outing, all I will say is that 30,000 Albion fans at the Millennium Stadium couldn't easily deliver four people prepared to do that thing.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Six people to lift it? What was it made of? Ripstop Nylon, silkscreen printing, is the answer, as in yacht spinnakers and balloons. You could lift something that size on you todd. Here in Southampton we have the mecca of giant flag manufacture, you need to be fairly rich though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It would be good to have a giant flag at Falmer with the NSC logo on it, paid for by NSC voluntary contributions. Keep it safe at the new ground for home occasions and cup finals only.

NSC would also become the most famous independent club messageboard to boot.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Perhaps an appeal to the club is required, get them onboard first, then you have ball boys to bring it out prematch, and somewhere official to store it.

As for the weight of the last one, it was a polycotton fabric, very heavy. even when dry.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
It would be brilliant if we could get a new one. I think everybody on NSC would be willing to donate money towards it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports