Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull Player

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I didn't need it as I can listen to radio Sussex now. I just have it for highlights & interviews, but I did rely on it when I was an exile.
To use the previous cornflake analogy (silly as it was) you would get more out of the manufacturer than the supermarket, if you complained.

I have no option for games I cannot attend. I am not interested in rebates or apologies, I just want a commentary that works and it is down to the club to provide this if we are paying a fee for doing so.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have no option for games I cannot attend. I am not interested in rebates or apologies, I just want a commentary that works and it is down to the club to provide this if we are paying a fee for doing so.

This.

Andf I buy mouldy cornflakes from Tesco, I'll complain to them - not to Kelloggs!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Reply from PB

Thank you for your email.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear of the ongoing problems with Seagulls Player - and indeed I have just replied to another supporter who has also experienced problems this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the issues we have been facing this season (and last) are not within the club's direct control. This is not an excuse. It's just as frustrating for us as it is for our supporters. As such, we - both Paul Camillin on several occasions and, more recently, myself - have made our feelings known to the Football League and Perform at the highest levels. We will do so again.

However, like most clubs in the Football League, we are currently tied to a long term agreement with the League - for both Seagulls Player and also for the club's website template (which I also consider to be poor) - and, to be honest, I would prefer to be out of this contract for both products and to do our own thing.

The current agreement - called Football League Interactive (FLi) actually dates as far back as Dick Knight's time as Chairman of the club and we are only free to break the contract if we secure promotion to the Premier League - i.e. when we cease to be a Football League club.

Once again, I will be writing to The Football League to convey the views of our fans this weekend and to seek answers - and some form of financial gesture - for the problems we continue to experience. I will also ask Paul Camillin, our head of communications, to ensure that the League's response is communicated to Seagulls Player subscribers.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience - and for your support. It is very much appreciated - and does help the club. However, the current service level and situation simply isn't good enough and you have my sincere apologies on behalf of our club and the League's service provider. I promise I will personally pursue this on behalf of all Seagulls Player subscribers.

Kind regards, Paul

Sent from my iPhone

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This.

Andf I buy mouldy cornflakes from Tesco, I'll complain to them - not to Kelloggs!

Tescos would give you your money back & another box. Kellogg's would give you much much more. Have you never complained to a food manufacturer?

PB's answer has confirmed what I've said, the club's hands are tied.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Reply from PB

However, like most clubs in the Football League, we are currently tied to a long term agreement with the League - for both Seagulls Player and also for the club's website template (which I also consider to be poor) - and, to be honest, I would prefer to be out of this contract for both products and to do our own thing.

Good reply,obviously it's a bit of a sore point and the clubs hands are tied.

Wonder how much it would cost to break the contract and whether the club (and other clubs throughout the Football league) would actually get more money in were they to break the contract, go it alone and get more subscribers and visitors (and therefore adverts) to the official site.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Good response from PB, but leaves SP subscribers with very little recourse except for voting with their feet. I've just unsubscribed, and suggest that if anyone else is disappointed with the service they do so as well. If PB is writing to Perform to raise the issue then if they see a significant number of people unsubscribing then they might just pay a bit more attention.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Cheers El Pres, appreciate your efforts.

If the service isn't up to standard then I would have thought that the club would be able to 'untie' any commitments to Perform or the FLi. I'm pleased that PB appears to have sympathy and I also hope that he gets somewhere with this.

Doesn't actually make me feel any better about this situation but that's the way it is. I hope that all subscribers cancel their subscription then maybe something will get done.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Cheers El Pres, appreciate your efforts.

If the service isn't up to standard then I would have thought that the club would be able to 'untie' any commitments to Perform or the FLi. I'm pleased that PB appears to have sympathy and I also hope that he gets somewhere with this.

Doesn't actually make me feel any better about this situation but that's the way it is. I hope that all subscribers cancel their subscription then maybe something will get done.

Surely of Perform are not fulfilling their part of the contract (I.e. Providing acceptable commentary, something they have never managed consistently in my experience) then the contract is void?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Surely of Perform are not fulfilling their part of the contract (I.e. Providing acceptable commentary, something they have never managed consistently in my experience) then the contract is void?

Yup, that's my thinking too. I'm more than a bit stunned that they can get away with their 'service' in such a large industry in this day and age of technology.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good reply,obviously it's a bit of a sore point and the clubs hands are tied.

Wonder how much it would cost to break the contract and whether the club (and other clubs throughout the Football league) would actually get more money in were they to break the contract, go it alone and get more subscribers and visitors (and therefore adverts) to the official site.

Cost? I'd say the cost is zero given the providers are clearly in breach by supplying a shoddy product. How on earth could they argue against the Albion severing ties and going it alone?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Artistic flourish from El P or genuine sentiment from PB?

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Did anyone else see in Brabers reply he blames the CONtract on Dick TIGHt, so this is all his fault as the contract would not exist if we were in the Premeir League which bassicly we would be if he had not sacked Dean Wilkins, the gratest manager of them all

Oh Dean Wilkins
I think of you when I empty the bins
I want to run my hands through
Your thinning hair
You took us to seventh place
Please can I sit on your face
So please don't take my Dean Wilkins away

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Without reading every post, did using the old player work? Planning to try that idea next match I listen to

In a word no. We lost 20 mins of the game, including the goal. Some of us have unsubscribed and I urge everyone to do the same. If we vote with our feet then something may get done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Reply from PB

Thank you for your email.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear of the ongoing problems with Seagulls Player - and indeed I have just replied to another supporter who has also experienced problems this afternoon.

Unfortunately, the issues we have been facing this season (and last) are not within the club's direct control. This is not an excuse. It's just as frustrating for us as it is for our supporters. As such, we - both Paul Camillin on several occasions and, more recently, myself - have made our feelings known to the Football League and Perform at the highest levels. We will do so again.

The current agreement - called Football League Interactive (FLi) actually dates as far back as Dick Knight's time as Chairman of the club and we are only free to break the contract if we secure promotion to the Premier League - i.e. when we cease to be a Football League club.

Once again, I will be writing to The Football League to convey the views of our fans this weekend and to seek answers - and some form of financial gesture - for the problems we continue to experience. I will also ask Paul Camillin, our head of communications, to ensure that the League's response is communicated to Seagulls Player subscribers.

In the meantime, thank you for your patience - and for your support. It is very much appreciated - and does help the club. However, the current service level and situation simply isn't good enough and you have my sincere apologies on behalf of our club and the League's service provider. I promise I will personally pursue this on behalf of all Seagulls Player subscribers.

Kind regards, Paul

Sent from my iPhone

So, from Paul's response we know that not all clubs have a deal to use Player ie it is possible to do something different. We know he wants to do his own thing. We know Player is clearly not fit for purpose and has rarely ever been. We also know he is willing to ditch under performing providers. So....why doesn't he tell Player enough is enough, ditch them and do his own thing?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So, from Paul's response we know that not all clubs have a deal to use Player ie it is possible to do something different. We know he wants to do his own thing. We know Player is clearly not fit for purpose and has rarely ever been. We also know he is willing to ditch under performing providers. So....why doesn't he tell Player enough is enough, ditch them and do his own thing?

Perhaps the costs outweigh the benefits. I think that Leeds are not in the deal because they defaulted on some payments under one of their former owners. I recall credit card companies a year or two ago refusing to allow Leeds to use their services owing to ongoing disputes which may be connected to a former , litigious, owner.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
well done EP
we will see just how they reply
good on PB for replying so quickly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here