Seagull Player

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This was the reply to my complaint about Seagull Player...

Hi John,

Thank you for your email.

We want to eliminate any technical issues with your web browser so we would ask you to in the first instance please select one of the listed web browsers below (which is different to your current browser).

Google Chrome: http://www.google.com/chrome/index....&utm_source=en_gb-ha-emea-uk-bk&utm_medium=ha

Firefox: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Internet Explorer 7: http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/...BE-3385-447C-8A30-081805B2F90B&displaylang=en

Internet Explorer 8: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Opera: http://www.opera.com/download/

Safari: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused and we hope that you enjoy the new sites.

If you experience any further technical issues please do not hesitate to email us again.

Best regards
Guru
Customer Services

They're really not listening, are they? Or do they really think it's only you with the problem?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Email sent:

Dear technical genius

Please spare a thought for us mugs who are paying £5 a month for a service that, every single week of the year, fails to work. I know you don't really care because these issues have yet to be fixed in the eight years that I have been loyal to your 'service' but here are a few pointers as to how you could improve things:
*Use the subscription money to replace the monkeys that run the technical aspect of your 'service' with humans.
*Update the software with something that hasn't been designed by a dyslexic Romanian on a ZX81.
*Or if those two suggestions above are beyond your budget, perhaps employ someone to check the commentary output.

I don't apologise for the ranting nature of my message, I don't expect a reply because frankly I doubt whether any of you have worked out how to use email, but I do expect to experience an improved 'service' in the very near future.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Can I suggest the following (and I am happy to draft the letter). All of us who are unhappy with the service agree to a joint letter to Paul Barber (not Insider, he is club communication officer and does a fine job), stating the nature of the issue, that it has failed to have been resolved over a long period of time and that as a consequence we (a) want to cancel our subscription as it is not fit for purpose (b) request a refund of sums paid in advance of such service, and (c) failure to take notice of such action will result in a boycott of other club services and products (such as attending the Reading Cup match.

Paul Barber does take notice of issues of this nature, you may not agree with his replies all the time, but I've received responses to communications from him late at night and even had a 45 minute call from him earlier this year in relation to some issue I raised.

I'm just as unhappy with Seagulls Player, the only reason I keep it is to see the match highlights as I am away many weekends in Russia, China, Cuba and North Korea.

Count me in please E.P. Thankyou.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Can I suggest the following (and I am happy to draft the letter). All of us who are unhappy with the service agree to a joint letter to Paul Barber (not Insider, he is club communication officer and does a fine job), stating the nature of the issue, that it has failed to have been resolved over a long period of time and that as a consequence we (a) want to cancel our subscription as it is not fit for purpose (b) request a refund of sums paid in advance of such service, and (c) failure to take notice of such action will result in a boycott of other club services and products (such as attending the Reading Cup match.

Paul Barber does take notice of issues of this nature, you may not agree with his replies all the time, but I've received responses to communications from him late at night and even had a 45 minute call from him earlier this year in relation to some issue I raised.

I'm just as unhappy with Seagulls Player, the only reason I keep it is to see the match highlights as I am away many weekends in Russia, China, Cuba and North Korea.

I started a SP cancelation Poll weeks ago to build a collective complaint to forward on to the club and provider and although a few people joined in it was met with apathy.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...ancelation-poll&highlight=seagull+player+poll

This has to be sorted but we have to act together.

If you lead the way I will follow but we nedd an official SP complaints thread to organise some action.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
This is the email that I have just sent to Perform

Dear Sirs

Unfortunately I have unsubscribed from Seagulls Player today. The service provided simply isn't good enough to warrant me continuing with it. Since subscribing I haven't managed to listen to a single full commentary due to 'technical issues'.
I'm not sure how you get away with providing such a poor service and yet still charge for it? Not fit for purpose springs to mind and would imagine that if I were to pursue this I could expect a full refund for the whole time of me being a customer!

These 'technical issues' are not due to any fault or problem with my chosen device, it is a fault on your behalf so please do not insult me by passing the buck. I am not the only customer to have had these 'technical issues' and expect that you will be receiving numerous complaints from other subscribers.

Due to licencing laws BBC Sussex do not commentate via the internet so I will no longer be able to keep updated of how my football team are getting on because of your incompetent broadcasting.

I hope that the club can find an alternative means of broadcasting their commentary and therefore remove your rights do do so.

Regards

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is the email I have just sent to PB, apologies if I have omitted anything

Dear Paul

I am writing on behalf of a number of subscribers to Seagulls Player (SP) who are also members of that well known website, North Stand Chat (NSC). I regret to say the standard of service provided by SP is unacceptable and is in our opinion not fit for purpose.
SP is used by many exiles from Brighton who are unable to access Radio Sussex, and want to listen to the commentary of Albion matches from a variety of locations.

Over the past few years there have been ongoing issues with regards to the feed not starting (although this appears to have diminished as an issue recently), and the commentary is consistently intermittent, often dropping for periods of up to 30 seconds or more on a regular basis.

This issue has arisen cross browser (IE, Chrome, Firefox etc) and also cross platform, as many have the Football League App for iPad, where the same problem has arisen.

Regular complaints direct to the provider (I believe their name is Perform) have generated standard letters by reply, and there has been no improvement in the level of the commentaries.

I appreciate that SP is a generic product provided across the 72 FL clubs by a central organisation, and therefore you may not regard it as your responsibility. However, the Albion are financial beneficiaries of SP and therefore we feel the club does have a responsibility to its customer base, especially given the level of promotion of SP on seagulls.co.uk

Already one NSC member has cancelled the service today, and I and others will be following suit unless the issue is addressed with some haste. This is very matter a last recourse, we are all supporters of the club, but that does not justify being forced to accept a second rate service.

I have many radio and TV apps on my tablet, and if I can successfully stream the Test match from Australia on Sky Go then there is clearly no issue in terms of bandwidth or access at the recipient end of the broadcast, so it is difficult to see why Perform cannot provide a service that works, unless they have failed to invest in the technology at their end. If this is the case then surely as a matter of damage limitation the Albion should acknowledge this and stop the service.

I take the view that any retailer should provide something of merchantable quality or not at all, and it appears that SP falls into this latter quality.

Regards

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? The club sold it to us.

All the league clubs have Player. As I explained earlier, when I had problems previously, Perform dealt with it and I got a free month. They are the company who provide the service. I was advised bt the club to complain to Perform.
The club's hands are tied to an extent.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is the email I have just sent to PB, apologies if I have omitted anything

I sent an e-mail to PB an hour ago about Seagulls Player and he responded within 20 minutes.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
All the league clubs have Player. As I explained earlier, when I had problems previously, Perform dealt with it and I got a free month. They are the company who provide the service. I was advised bt the club to complain to Perform.

Ok, so... scenario,

You go to your supermarket and purchase a box of cornflakes and for the 60th month on the trot there is only half the cornflakes in the box. You finally complain at the customer services counter and by way of an apology, they give you a free box for that month. Does this appease you?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

No, not all the clubs have player. Leeds don't for starters. It was the club's choice to go this route and they need to sort it out. If the club are fobbing you off onto Perform they are shirking their responsibility.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok, so... scenario,

You go to your supermarket and purchase a box of cornflakes and for the 60th month on the trot there is only half the cornflakes in the box. You finally complain at the customer services counter and by way of an apology, they give you a free box for that month. Does this appease you?
Silly analogy. The supermarket is allowed to stock lots of varieties of cereals.

I did say copy in the club when complaining.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, not all the clubs have player. Leeds don't for starters. It was the club's choice to go this route and they need to sort it out. If the club are fobbing you off onto Perform they are shirking their responsibility.

It worked. I got an apology & less to pay.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't want to pay less or get an apology, I want it to work.

Did it work for you today?

I didn't need it as I can listen to radio Sussex now. I just have it for highlights & interviews, but I did rely on it when I was an exile.
To use the previous cornflake analogy (silly as it was) you would get more out of the manufacturer than the supermarket, if you complained.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports