Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scottish footballer Zander Murray comes out as gay

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Gala Fairydean Rovers striker Zander Murray has become the first Scottish senior footballer to come out as gay.

He is the first openly gay player in the men's professional ranks in Scotland since Justin Fashanu with Airdrie and Hearts in the mid-1990s.

The 30-year-old Lowland League player follows the example of referees Craig Napier and Lloyd Wilson in June.

"It feels like the weight of the world is now off my shoulders," Murray told the club's website.

"The lads at the club have been so supportive. Before coming out, you think people will turn against you and you think the worst - I have been blown away by the support."

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Gala Fairydean Rovers striker Zander Murray has become the first Scottish senior footballer to come out as gay.

He is the first openly gay player in the men's professional ranks in Scotland since Justin Fashanu with Airdrie and Hearts in the mid-1990s.

The 30-year-old Lowland League player follows the example of referees Craig Napier and Lloyd Wilson in June.

"It feels like the weight of the world is now off my shoulders," Murray told the club's website.

"The lads at the club have been so supportive. Before coming out, you think people will turn against you and you think the worst - I have been blown away by the support."

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

😂😂 good headline

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual eye-candy by the serial thread starter

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I expect that a lot of NSC readers will be of the opinion- ah so what-it doesn't matter these days, its 2022 shouldnt be news- nothing to see here etc
However in real life that is not the case. Below is a grab from Zanders twitter explaining a few things

Its hard to explain to someone who isnt gay, what it actually means to see successful gay role models, especially when we are in our teens. The cumulative effect of homophobic comments on a 14 yr old gay kid is impossible to describe, the feelings of self loathing, fear, is awful. Just seeing a couple of football players (Josh Cavallo,Zander and Jake Daniels) will start to make gay kids feel a little bit better- and have an "if they can do it-so can I" approach

Please dont dismiss these things as trivial, they may be to you, but to a huge number of young boys, this is literally life changing stuff
Fc12zwvXkAEyzuB.jpg

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It’s great that a 3rd no mark footballer has come out. I bet other non-league players around the world are too just not newsworthy. Hopefully many many more will and soon a few who are in top leagues. He’s not the first and not on a completely different level of notoriety to others before him. Gets my full support but not sure it’s big news. Best of luck to him.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
It’s great that a 3rd no mark footballer has come out. I bet other non-league players around the world are too just not newsworthy. Hopefully many many more will and soon a few who are in top leagues. He’s not the first and not on a completely different level of notoriety to others before him. Gets my full support but not sure it’s big news. Best of luck to him.

well they are no Messi or Ronaldos granted but whats with the disparaging "no mark footballer" and "notoriety" comments? I cant think of anything "notorious" that any of the three have done or any of the previous players (only one of whom came out whilst still playing-and that went well didn't it?) who have come out that would warrant a "notorious" label, or is being gay now "notorious"?

notorious
/nə(ʊ)ˈtɔːrɪəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.
"Los Angeles is notorious for its smog"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here