Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Scott Parker sacked

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Is it really impossible? "The Solihull-born 47-year-old grew up supporting Villa and has revealed most of his friends also support the Midlands giants."

I’d be really shocked if Potter left us for Villa. GP and his team have invested a lot in getting us to where we are and a good way to where TB wants us to go. They must be getting a lot of job satisfaction from that and I don’t see why they would want to start all over again with a jumbled up rabble at Villa.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Whilst sacking after so few games is mad have never seen a manager looked so depressed after a game. I even thought he was going to start crying

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d be really shocked if Potter left us for Villa. GP and his team have invested a lot in getting us to where we are and a good way to where TB wants us to go. They must be getting a lot of job satisfaction from that and I don’t see why they would want to start all over again with a jumbled up rabble at Villa.
Of course I hope you're right. But Villa do seem to have a bigger budget than us, and if he actually is a fan and is promised more than we can offer (whatever recruitment setup he wants, better budget for players, and a better personal salary), then would you not be a bit worried?

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Your owners want nothing more than dividends on their investments. Just like the Glazers and the former owners of Burnley.

Be very careful who you side with, very careful indeed.

You still have a Championship squad unlike Fulham and especially Forest who have clear transfer policies.

Unless you Dyche, you are looking at 20th place for most of the season. The responsibility for this will sit squarely with your owners who have a profound love and need for money alongside an ignorant knowledge of the football world. Blame them, not Scotty Parker whom only a couple of Months ago, gave you your second EPL promotion. Get in your lane!

Far from it. We have one owner who's been here for years and is a football man. He's put plenty into the club and taken absolutely nothing out, its all friendly debt. If you'd seen Parkers comments over the last few months you'd happily have binned him off. Parker was heavily backed in January and this summer we've signed four decent players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is a shameful decision. He gets them promoted and then sacked after a run of games that you cant have expected them to win!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Of course I hope you're right. But Villa do seem to have a bigger budget than us, and if he actually is a fan and is promised more than we can offer (whatever recruitment setup he wants, better budget for players, and a better personal salary), then would you not be a bit worried?
It's not just Graham though is it? He has a team to consult as well and they may well prefer to live and work where they are just now.
He seems very realistic to me and well aware that the grass isn't always greener etc.
Anyway, he has made it clear he is not a die hard Villa fan so they can forget that.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would love to see Chris Sutton take over.
After all, he is the world's leading expert on all things football.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Personally I'm glad he's gone and so are many of us. From before the season started he's been dripping on to the press about lack of signings, he's been slating the players and refusing to take any of the blame for the manner of the last three defeats instead deflecting everything onto the board.

He was heavily backed in the January transfer market and now claims that was for promotion only and those players were short term (despite being given long term contracts).

His football is absolutely dire and everything Fulham fans warned us about came to fruition. Sure he got us promoted and for that we're thankful but we can't help think he helped manufacture his departure by gobbing off to the press every week.
Good to read your point of view. If he was indeed manufacturing his own departure, is that not a worry in itself? I can't imagine he'd do that without reason, so he's come to the conclusion that the owners just want the money from the club and won't invest in players, and a season managing Championship players would be futile.

You say he was "heavily backed in the January transfer market". Exactly how much was spent on how many players?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's not just Graham though is it? He has a team to consult as well and they may well prefer to live and work where they are just now.
I'm not sure a managers team has ever had much say in where they go have they?
He seems very realistic to me and well aware that the grass isn't always greener etc.
Yes I definitely agree. No guarantee he'll stay, but he's less flighty than most managers.
Anyway, he has made it clear he is not a die hard Villa fan so they can forget that.
Excellent, thanks.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It is obvious that this sacking is nothing to do with results, so I reckon Parker is well out of there. However, I do quite like Sean Dyche so I hope he doesn't end up at that noddy little shoebox.

Perhaps Villa can now sack Gerrard and get Parker in. He'd be an upgrade and would be an appointment more accurately reflecting their position in football's food chain these days.

"Right lads. Today we are necking pints of seawater and catching fish with our bare hands. What do you mean you can't swim Kieffer? I said get in the sea"

Dyche doesn't strike me a natural Bournemouth manager but I'd love to see it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Right lads. Today we are necking pints of seawater and catching fish with our bare hands. What do you mean you can't swim Kieffer? I said get in the sea"

Dyche doesn't strike me a natural Bournemouth manager but I'd love to see it.

I think it was [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] who suggested there isn't a manager whose public perception is further from the reality. Then he did that interview towards the end of his time at Burnley and he was hilarious and affable.

He strikes me as a great bloke and I wouldn't mind betting he's a really good people person. Probably exactly what Bournemouth need. I hope he doesn't go there.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Oh ok. Although, can English people as interested in football as GP really not support anyone? Seems a bit odd.

He just liked football in general, was in an article in the Argus that he followed both Villa and Birmingham results.

I suppose it’s not that difficult when you are playing youth football then academy football and then becoming a pro to not become a fan as you are playing most of the time others are watching.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think it was [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] who suggested there isn't a manager whose public perception is further from the reality. Then he did that interview towards the end of his time at Burnley and he was hilarious and affable.

He strikes me as a great bloke and I wouldn't mind betting he's a really good people person. Probably exactly what Bournemouth need. I hope he doesn't go there.

They need a couple of good footballers IMO

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Good to read your point of view. If he was indeed manufacturing his own departure, is that not a worry in itself? I can't imagine he'd do that without reason, so he's come to the conclusion that the owners just want the money from the club and won't invest in players, and a season managing Championship players would be futile.

You say he was "heavily backed in the January transfer market". Exactly how much was spent on how many players?

Seven players in January including a few decent loans, Cantwell & Phillips (from Liverpool) we basically scooped up everyone we could within reason and we got the usual parachute payment flak for it. Its not totally a squad of Championship players, there's plenty of Premier league and International experience in there. We've also signed Rothwell and Tavernier (arguably two top championship players) Senesi and Neto.

We are what we are, we're building an academy, we can't keep blowing money on players. Parker must have known what he had to work with. None of us expected anything than a struggle, however Parkers comments over the last few months have been completely unacceptable, not just to the board but about the players (many of whom he signed).

Last edited:

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Scott/Scotty Parker just isn’t a Premier League manager. Media and other fans seemed to rate him for some reason when he was at Fulham. Came across well in post match interviews it was said.
14% win rate whilst managing in the top league.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think he has said he was a floater between Midland clubs and not an ardent fan of any of them, it's just Villa fans who have decided he supports them?

That would certainly be the professional thing to say, even if it wasn't true! Can't see him leaving us yet (I hope) - he took on the job as a project which he's bought into, and wants to see it completed. A couple more years of top ten finishes - with maybe an excursion in the Conference or a cup - and I think we'll be in danger of losing him; project completed. Big club or sleeping giant or whatever, I really can't see the Villa job as more attractive than Brighton at the moment - we've got a better team and a better set up.
As for the money, with £100M banked this summer, we can afford to up his wages to match Villa if that's an issue - £20M spent on GP would likely be a better spend than £20M on a striker!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It is obvious that this sacking is nothing to do with results, so I reckon Parker is well out of there. However, I do quite like Sean Dyche so I hope he doesn't end up at that noddy little shoebox.

Perhaps Villa can now sack Gerrard and get Parker in. He'd be an upgrade and would be an appointment more accurately reflecting their position in football's food chain these days.

The owners statement gives away its nothing to do with the results

"However, in order for us to keep progressing as a team and a club as a whole, it is unconditional that we are aligned in our strategy to run the club sustainably. We must also show belief in and respect for one another."

He clearly didn't like Parkers remarks after the Liverpool game about being underequipped to compete at the PL level. The problem is now that any potential new manager is going to see that and know he isn't going to be backed in the transfer market, the incoming manager knows that without investment in the side then relegation is almost certain.

It makes it a very tough sell, especially as if you step out of line as far as the chairman is concerned then he's got no problem sacking you. No doubt they'll do a Watford and have at least 3 managers this season.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

I think Athletico Mince have ruined it for him albeit the The Burnley way makes me laugh everytime I hear it. I love it that he used to take on the likes of Klopp and has more to say than most that's worth listening to. That said, he is also one of the worst for manipulation of the ref as well. No coincidence we had little go our way against them with him in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here