Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scott Hogan

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Haven't Villa already spent best part of £30mill on McCormack and Kodija already this season? Crazy times!!

I suppose that we should not shout too loudly, as we might be grateful for parachute payments ourselves at some stage, but you really have to question this. The idea behind these payments was to help clubs out who were tied to paying expensive contracts even if they were relegated, not to give them funds to spend in this fashion, surely.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I suppose that we should not shout too loudly, as we might be grateful for parachute payments ourselves at some stage, but you really have to question this. The idea behind these payments was to help clubs out who were tied to paying expensive contracts even if they were relegated, not to give them funds to spend in this fashion, surely.

Agreed. As you say, the logic was to help clubs when they get relegated but all it means is that they sign players for huge fees. The whole system is ludicrous. If teams weren't paid so much for being in the Premier League then the drop wouldn't be so big to the Championship and we wouldn't need parachute payments. But we all know how likely that is to change.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Agreed. As you say, the logic was to help clubs when they get relegated but all it means is that they sign players for huge fees. The whole system is ludicrous. If teams weren't paid so much for being in the Premier League then the drop wouldn't be so big to the Championship and we wouldn't need parachute payments.

They don't just 'sign players for huge fees' they hoover up all the talent in the championship thereby weakening it. It's all shades of wrong.

Villa have already taken talismans from Brizzle, Fulham, two from Barnsley, Forest and now Brentford.

If TB wasn't so emotionally attached to the albion and determined to see us over the line, we could have ourselves been picked apart by the relegated teams. I imagine if AK wasn't such a top bloke he could have easily made enough of a fuss to force a move to toon for silly wages.

It just points to a bleak future of relegated teams bouncing straight back up and thus the kind of evidence needed to campaign for a closed shop.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Villa and Newcastle aren't your normal relegated teams though, the're a couple of massive clubs who happened to fall through the cracks at the same time. I'm pretty sure that Palace, for example, would be completely ****ed without parachute payments if they come down, their wage bill has gone stupid of late - Schlupp on 50k/week? that'll be fun in the championship.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Reports are that West Ham bid £12.5m, were turned down by Brentford who were holding out for their £15m valuation. West Ham have now pulled out, and the figure Villa are suggesting is nearer £10m.
It's not my money, but given the crazy prices around, Hogan seems worth a punt at that price.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Vydra, Rhodes, McCormack, Martin and now Hogan. Welcome to the Championship striker Gravy Train!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Villa and Newcastle aren't your normal relegated teams though, the're a couple of massive clubs who happened to fall through the cracks at the same time. I'm pretty sure that Palace, for example, would be completely ****ed without parachute payments if they come down, their wage bill has gone stupid of late - Schlupp on 50k/week? that'll be fun in the championship.

They don't just 'sign players for huge fees' they hoover up all the talent in the championship thereby weakening it. It's all shades of wrong.

Villa have already taken talismans from Brizzle, Fulham, two from Barnsley, Forest and now Brentford.

If TB wasn't so emotionally attached to the albion and determined to see us over the line, we could have ourselves been picked apart by the relegated teams. I imagine if AK wasn't such a top bloke he could have easily made enough of a fuss to force a move to toon for silly wages.

It just points to a bleak future of relegated teams bouncing straight back up and thus the kind of evidence needed to campaign for a closed shop.

Agreed. As you say, the logic was to help clubs when they get relegated but all it means is that they sign players for huge fees. The whole system is ludicrous. If teams weren't paid so much for being in the Premier League then the drop wouldn't be so big to the Championship and we wouldn't need parachute payments. But we all know how likely that is to change.

This is the problem. All you need to do is add a clause in the contract that says 'if we get relegated your weekly wage will be X rather than Y'. If players don't want that to happen they will have to find another club. I would be in favour of getting rid of the ridiculous parachute payments. Newcastle proved in the summer you can balance your books by selling your better players.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Surprised Burnley didn’t show interest, they must be the only team in Claret and Blue not to so far

Burnley might be bidding - but they would have started at £1,500,000 - paid in 3 instalments .... they've probably upped their bid to £2.25m now, and will probably go all in at £4m at 10:45 tonight.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
12 million to villa done deal.

Should we of broken the bank and signed him ?

I think we've done the right thing and avoid, imo we are going up, and is he really a premier league striker ?

Think Villa have signed him with a view to be promoted next year

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
12 million to villa done deal.

Should we of broken the bank and signed him ?

I think we've done the right thing and avoid, imo we are going up, and is he really a premier league striker ?

Think Villa have signed him with a view to be promoted next year
Think they're just making sure he doesn't go anywhere else. Expensive option, as I don't think it will pay off this season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I hope Hogan is a massive success at Villa Park and scores winning goals against all our rivals.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Young? Check
English? Check
Scoring goals? Check

All the above basically guarantees massive money will get thrown about in the hopes of finding the next Alli or Bale, we should be very thankful that our top English players are center halves because if Dunk was a striker with the same talent levels he shows at the back he'd be gone for 15 million+ too.

I think you'll find that we signed the next Bale the other day, Jordan Davies. Allegedly.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I hope Hogan is a massive success at Villa Park and scores winning goals against all our rivals.

Makes it an interesting last game of season v Villa, with Scott Hogan, seeing he ripped us a new one last year at the Amex, playing for Brentford.
Better have it all wrapped up by then, this promotion lark :)

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Scott Hogan did seem to have that little bit of Jimmy Greaves-style in him. But not enough to justify the big fee. Maybe that was because Hogan lived in London and he will lose the edge at Villa.

Guile, acceleration, eye for goal, acidic ability to make you defender look a fool, ball control, ice cool finishing: that's Greavsie not Hogan who was not much more magical than the legendary Kit Napier and less than Bobby Zamora and Peter Ward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here