Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scotland and Independence. Again !!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
are you referring to the local indigenous, workshy population, or those coming to seek work for a better life?

You know full well who I'm referring to , I see generalisation is fine if it's referring to British people .

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
So much throughout history just does not really change does it,smothered (with cash )maybe for a generation or two,but always it seems reverting to type...........

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm a big supporter of Scottish independence if they have a new referendum and vote for it.

And if they vote to stay that wouldn't upset me either.

Will be interesting how it plays out.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
In the last referendum the people of Scotland decided to stay as part of the UK. That decision comes with accepting that you are part of a decision making process that is made on behalf of the UK. Brexit was a United Kingdom referendum with a United Kingdom outcome. It seems this latest whine by sturgeon is yet another example of her 'cake and eat it' politics.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think that's quite wrong. See post 31.

I disagree, your point in post 31 was about degrees of control. Any credible nationalist worthy of the name would run a mile from EU membership. Continually pooling/surrendering sovereignty, national law/courts deferring to another authority etc. In the unlikely event Scotland did leave it wouldn't take long for the SNP to start blaming Brussels for all their domestic problems as they currently do with Westminster.

D

Deleted member 22389

are you referring to the local indigenous, workshy population, or those coming to seek work for a better life?

I'm certainly not work shy and I'm certainly more employable than all the wonderful migrants I keep being told about. These comments get on my nerves, because It's not until you get out there looking for any work you see what it is really like.

You spend a lot of time and energy going for the worst jobs, I emailed one agency three times, I didn't even get one single reply. Luckily I spotted another advert and now I start one job next week part time and then I will get another part time after that, even if that means I clean toilets.

It's about time we show support to all the British workers who have had a rough time of it and are now back in employment.

Last edited by a moderator:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's about time we show support to all the British workers who have had a rough time of it and are now back in employment.

absolutely, there's plenty of them. but lets recognise there's alot that cant be arsed, while many foreigners come here to work and do so. i've first hand experience seeing them doing work the locals dont want, getting the bus at 5:30am on the Old Kent Road to clean, make sandwiches, do security and generally up open up The City. a friend works in security and says you cant get locals to work outside 8-6 or night shifts (which works great for him, as about the only Londoner where ever he works he's made supervisor in a week or two).

i completely understand arguements around lowering wages in some unskilled jobs, and believe there needs to be controls on entry. i just also recognise a lot moan on about lack of jobs because they dont want to do whats on offer, want more pay, or wont move to where work is. the quote i responded to describes these people whatever their come from.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
In the last referendum the people of Scotland decided to stay as part of the UK. That decision comes with accepting that you are part of a decision making process that is made on behalf of the UK. Brexit was a United Kingdom referendum with a United Kingdom outcome. It seems this latest whine by sturgeon is yet another example of her 'cake and eat it' politics.

Possibly but I give her more credit than that. She is very sharp and business like; I suspect Sturgeon knows Scotland is a busted flush with oil at its current price and would get nowhere near the entry requirement for government borrowing required for Eurozone entry. She is also aware that the polls say Scots dont want a vote and would vote NO if there were one. But she has to do something to keep her hotheads happy; Indyref2 is a tidy way of seeming to do something and has handy way of passing buck to TM when bill is published and Westminster refuse to budge. Sturgeon will privately be chuffed that a referendum she is unlikely to win (and is a poisoned chalice if she does) is booted out courtesy of the hated "Westminster". WIN-WIN for her.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I disagree, your point in post 31 was about degrees of control. Any credible nationalist worthy of the name would run a mile from EU membership. Continually pooling/surrendering sovereignty, national law/courts deferring to another authority etc. In the unlikely event Scotland did leave it wouldn't take long for the SNP to start blaming Brussels for all their domestic problems as they currently do with Westminster.
'Nationalism' can be defined in different ways and your definition is clearly different to mine, and probably the SNP's, so let's leave it there.

D

Deleted member 22389

Where shall we start, she wants an independent Scotland, I get that. But why wont Sturgeon let us have our independence.
If she also thinks Scotland are just going to roll up to the EU and get special treatment she can forget it. Scotland will have to sign up to the EU 100% and more, it will take absolutely years. Unlike us where we still keep our currency, they will have also have to accept the Euro which means everything will have to be changed.

We have seen how rubbish the EU are at getting anything sorted out. They can't even get a trade deal done with Canada. That's good for the people at the top thou, because the longer things get stretched out the more money people make. God knows how many hundreds of millions of pounds have been poured down the drain at this organisation over the years, it is disgusting.

If the EU didn't have our contribution or anyone else's they would go down the pan. No more new buildings, nice offices, nice cars or salaries for what appears to be doing nothing. Countries can quite easily trade with each other without the EU.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Where shall we start, she wants an independent Scotland, I get that. But why wont Sturgeon let us have our independence.
If she also thinks Scotland are just going to roll up to the EU and get special treatment she can forget it. Scotland will have to sign up to the EU 100% and more, it will take absolutely years. Unlike us where we still keep our currency, they will have also have to accept the Euro which means everything will have to be changed.

We have seen how rubbish the EU are at getting anything sorted out. They can't even get a trade deal done with Canada. That's good for the people at the top thou, because the longer things get stretched out the more money people make. God knows how many hundreds of millions of pounds have been poured down the drain at this organisation over the years, it is disgusting.

If the EU didn't have our contribution or anyone else's they would go down the pan. No more new buildings, nice offices, nice cars or salaries for what appears to be doing nothing. Countries can quite easily trade with each other without the EU.

If only there was a Eu member state with historical, cultural or constitutional links to Canada. That would help perhaps.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The guy says that because 62% of Scottish voters voted to REMAIN in the EU Referendum that gives him a democratic mandate to pursue a second independence referendum. He conveniently ignores the fact 55% of Scottish voters in the first independence referendum voted to REMAIN in the UK.

If Scotland gets a second independence referendum and decides to LEAVE then that will call into question the reliability of referendums in general, particularly as Theresa May's only justification for Brexit - in spite of her own personal opinion on the matter - is that it was the majority will of the British people and Parliament is duty bound to see it through.

No it doesn't at all. They voted based on us being in the EU. We have totally changed the status quo. They 100% should have the right to vote in a second referendum on independence as we changed the goal posts for them. I find it amazing that you can post some rubbish to be honest. Or maybe you're just trolling?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

It is not as easy to trade with Non EU countries as people think.

The Government want VAT paid on goods and services with Non EU countries and if that is retained then our goods become more expensive and less people might buy them - If we drop the VAT then less Revenue is brought in with regard to Tarriffs and Taxes so less money to pay for things like Education and our Health services.

Trading with the EU with regards to VAT we don't need to charge VAT but we do get credits for lost VAT in terms of refunds and subsidies from the EU, so that sort of agreement needs to be drawn up with every separate country we trade with - Alternative is to forsake the VAT and the Government loses out on Taxes - OR - We charge VAT and risk less goods being sold

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
No it doesn't at all. They voted based on us being in the EU. We have totally changed the status quo. They 100% should have the right to vote in a second referendum on independence as we changed the goal posts for them. I find it amazing that you can post some rubbish to be honest. Or maybe you're just trolling?

Yep, bring it on, the sooner the better, fed up to the back teeth with Sturgeon and her bleating........go for it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yep, bring it on, the sooner the better, fed up to the back teeth with Sturgeon and her bleating........go for it.

Mate most of them don't want it. We have to be careful with this oh stuff em then business, as it's not fair on the majority who are quite happy in the UK and the noises from down south make people very uncomfortable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Government want VAT paid on goods and services with Non EU countries... Trading with the EU with regards to VAT we don't need to charge VAT

there is no VAT on goods exported outside the EU or sold to non-Eu residents, i.e. tourists. meanwhile we do have to charge VAT on exports within the EU (or EU based visitors). so what on earth are you on about.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
there is no VAT on goods exported outside the EU or sold to non-Eu residents, i.e. tourists. meanwhile we do have to charge VAT on exports within the EU (or EU based visitors). so what on earth are you on about.

Got my argument mixed up...........................Hold my hands up as wrong, apologies on my mistake - Was thinking slightly further ahead on something ongoing in relation to ''reclaims''

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here