Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Schweinsteigers Penalty

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Would Schweinsteigers penalty counted if it went in, he stopped in the middle of his run up. Well that's my interpretation of the rules.

Noldi.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wondered at that. He was trying to get Cech to commit so he could blast it down the middle and he definitely stopped at one point which is contrary to the rules as I understand them. Should the referee have ordered a re-take in those circumstances whether he scored or missed? I don't know but guess someone on here will have a definitive answer

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As long as you don't stop dead you are OK, it's open to interpretation whether a player stops, or is moving very slowly.

They ought to have a professional mime artist on the side of the pitch to adjudicate whether a player really has stopped moving

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is a stupid penalty technique anyway. More likely to put off the penalty taker than beat a top keeper. I didn't fancy Luiz at all for his penalty - but that was great. Run-up and thump it. Hard.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think the ref should have made both penalties that Cezk saved be retaken both the one by Robben and the one in the shoot out as he moved off of his line clearly before each were taken.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Asked this on another thread - if the ball had gone in off of Cech's back after hitting the post would it have counted? Presumably it would.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would Schweinsteigers penalty counted if it went in, he stopped in the middle of his run up. Well that's my interpretation of the rules.

Noldi.

Yes. You can stutter in your run up, but not at the ball.

Procedure
Feinting in the run-up to take a penalty kick to confuse opponents is permitted
as part of football. However, feinting to kick the ball once the player has
completed his run-up is considered an infringement of Law 14 and an act of
unsporting behaviour for which the player must be cautioned.

Asked this on another thread - if the ball had gone in off of Cech's back after hitting the post would it have counted? Presumably it would.

Depends. The penalty is over when the ref says it is. There have been viral videos of penalties where the ball hits the crossbar, flies up and the keeper celebrates and the ball drops down and bounces in. In this instant, the bouncing off the post and in would have been so quick it would have pretty much been instant, so would have counted, I imagine.

The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was not a tiny little move it was 2ft forward thus reducing the angle and area that a player can aim
at tremendously which is the whole point of doing it and why it is not permitted

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I think the ref should have made both penalties that Cezk saved be retaken both the one by Robben and the one in the shoot out as he moved off of his line clearly before each were taken.

Not quite sure what your definition of clearly is as he appears to be pretty much on it here:
Cech.gif

As long as he is on his line when the ball is struck, he can do what he likes after.

Bigger issue for me was how gutted would the Chelsea fan that threw the beach ball on been, if the ref had ordered a re-take because of it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the picture it looks like Robben is preparing to strike the ball ad Chech is moving forward but not conclusive and as clear as watching it live and also it shows a Chelsea player possibly Luis is in the box. So definitely should have been retaken.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Clearly in front of the line or not on it and the penalty hasnt been struck yet.

Maybe a few inches, but clearly not the 2ft you claimed in an earlier post. Given that all the extra official is looking for is early movement from the keeper (and then the ball crossing the goal line), I think we can safely say he did nothing wrong here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here