Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Scathing review of Brighton

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I suppose Frau Dr Schumacher will be writing to the Argus now to admit that Germany is not exactly a safe and peaceful place after all in the wake of the attacks on the Shisha bars. .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think she must have spent the entire trip in her hotel room drunk and playing Grand Theft Auto and become quite confused.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
The only evidence of prostitutes I've seen in Brighton was when they use to post cards up in telephone boxes.

Though the only time I've ever been approached by one was in Hamburg.

Guess the Dr hasn't been to Hamburg then.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Playwright Keith Waterhouse a log time ago described Brighton as: "A town that always looks as if it is helping police with their inquiries".

I quite liked that. In fact I'm proud of it :)

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course there are plenty of worse places to live and work but how many of those places try to sell themselves as a tourist attraction?

When we have visitors Brighton is the last place we would suggest for a night out or a weekend stay.

From a bloke who lives on the edge of Crawley next to an airport!

I am sure your visitors would look forward to a trip anywhere, Croydon would probably do!

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I fill up at said BP every week, 1, yes there is the occasional Police Car there but 7 ffs, that would leave probably 5 spaces left for customers, 2, there isn’t a Cafe in there, stupid Kraut.

l live near the garage. Police use it as refreshment stop and they sell coffee etc.. Dont recognise much of what she claims. We love living here.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Our city isn’t perfect and yes it’s deteriorated over the last few years, but I’ve lived here most of my life and overall think it’s a great place to live, work and bring up kids. I certainly feel there are many worse places to live and I simply didn’t recognise the description of our city by our German guest. You have to be very unlucky to experience all those incidents in just a few days ( many of which I’ve not experienced in 50 years) - either that or the story is a fabrication / massively exaggerated.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but I have to disagree about the graffiti. There are some fantastic pieces of street art in Brighton. The Prince Albert, Alice in Wonderland in the Lanes and many other examples around town that really brighten the place up. The cable boxes are bright and cheerful and sometimes humourous.

In Worthing we have the Rebel Romeo who graffitis the cable boxes with witty, romantic artwork and the Council then spends money painting them over with that horrible green paint.

Now tagging is a different matter altogether. That requires no skill whatsoever. It is vandalism. But if the OB don't deal with burglaries or low level assaults any more they are hardly going to be arsed to go after the taggers that do make the place look shit.

I fail to understand why the London Road pavements are being widen to the extent that they are. I can only assume that it is to accommodate all the homeless tents. I don't understand why they need to camp out on the main streets when there are open spaces where they could pitch that doesn't impact on visitors and businesses. The Council should be more pro-active in clearing the centre of this "clutter".

The Council could do so much more for the homeless. There are numerous empty buildings in the City that the Council could purchase and provide basic shelter for the homeless. They would then have no excuse to be out on the streets.

Although I have to live in Worthing now I still go to Brighton most weekends. It's my hometown and I love it. Mostly I just wander about and the mythical, fantastical Brighton that the good Dr (who appears not to exist according to Google) describes is clearly a figment of her imagination. Nothing about that story rings true. If drugs and prostitutes were available on every street corner I'm sure I would have come across it by now!

You have made a lot of very valid points and I don't disagree about the graffiti some of which can maybe be described as "art" …. but I'll only go along with it if it is in approved locations. Tagging on the other hand is pure vandalism as you suggest.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18276094.letter-retired-policeman-brighton/

Another gem from the Argus letters page. Anything for paper sales and clicks it would seem. This one is obvious enough that people are calling it out in the comments.

I haven't read the comments but the alleged writers name is the giveaway it's surely fake? A name that was subject of terrace chants back in the 70's. Having that name in the police would be as iffy as a landscape gardener having the name Fred West.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here