Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Scariest Horror Movie?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (not the film). It’s bloody brilliant.

Cordelia
Anya
Darla
:drool:

Don't discount a bit of Willow in there. Those four seriously messed up my teenage brain

Gun shot

Ready to be fired
Oct 3, 2020
In a holster
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

So terrifying it got banned for about 20 years (set in mid-seventies, America) Hard to describe how shocking the scene is where the family of cannibals are eating and Sally wakes up from passing out through sheer panic. In the end she has to escape through a glass window, finally escaping into a van - not before Leatherface has sawed the door, nearly reaching her.

The acting is great and there are some really horrific moments. The girl tapping creepily on the fridge - I still can't tell if she was alive but bearing in mind she'd been hung on a metal peg, probably not. It's just her head which bursts out which scares the shit out of me.

Maybe along with the Exorcist, it's those two horror films that I couldn't watch in an empty house with all the lights out.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Candyman terrified me 20 years ago. Haven't watched it since.

The Joy's of sharing with an older brother.

The original IT gave me recurring nightmares for a long time. Again, I was way too young for these films.

As an adult the genre doesn't really interest me, maybe because I'm scared. Haha

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

So terrifying it got banned for about 20 years (set in mid-seventies, America) Hard to describe how shocking the scene is where the family of cannibals are eating and Sally wakes up from passing out through sheer panic. In the end she has to escape through a glass window, finally escaping into a van - not before Leatherface has sawed the door, nearly reaching her.

The acting is great and there are some really horrific moments. The girl tapping creepily on the fridge - I still can't tell if she was alive but bearing in mind she'd been hung on a metal peg, probably not. It's just her head which bursts out which scares the shit out of me.

Maybe along with the Exorcist, it's those two horror films that I couldn't watch in an empty house with all the lights out.

That’s saved anyone having to watch TCM :)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The Shining - Jack Nicholson's slow descent into madness is one of his great turns

The original Wickerman. Eerie creepy slow burner. Ending is just scary as hell

The Blair Witch Project - I wanted to hate it because of the hype. But still the best found footage based horror movie.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I will try and suggest some not mentioned in this thread - but I can’t enter this conversation without another nod to The Shining. It is an absolute masterpiece. Every time I watch it I pick up something new that Kubrick clearly intended. Amazing piece of filmmaking that I feel everyone should watch, not just horror fans.

One I saw recently that thoroughly impressed me (and I am hard to please when it comes to horrors - only the very best cut it) was A Quiet Place. About a family trying to survive in a future where the world is overrun by blind monsters that have super-sensitive hearing. Starring and directed by John Krasinski from the US version of The Office.

The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Get Out.

American Psycho - although I’m not sure it qualifies as horror?

Bird Box I thought was also fantastic but seems to have more mixed opinions.

For me less is more - less gore, less CGI beasties. A As humans our biggest fear is the unknown, so what we DON’T see should always be more frightening... Which is why Jaws was such a classic.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Jaws 1 and 2 were scary for a kid at the time. I was worried about going into the sea for a few years afterwards.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
I watched it years ago, then watched it again recently. Yep it’s still horrible.

Sounds like I should be adding this to my list as well then. Just done a bit of googling seems a bit strange, what's so horrible about it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

That was the one I was going to mention. A fairly little-known chiller that I went into with low expectations, but bloody hell. One of those films that you dwell on, with some truly disturbing and horrible images.

Hereditory is very decent, I just had no idea where it was going and I liked that about it.

Creep is another one I liked a lot, builds the tension nicely and some proper gross-out stuff.

The Shining though, in terms if being a rewatchable, can't think of any that top that. And to think that Stephen King hates what Kubrick did to it. Its a masterpiece.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That film that had a car with a mind of its own was pretty freaked out.....

Herbie goes to Hollywood or something.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Midsommar is the best I've seen for a while. I remember as a child being terrified watching the Woman in Black film on TV around Christmas. Saw that old version has recently been released on DVD but don't want to watch it again in case it disappoints now.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
‘It follows‘ is good. About a Ghost STD. No lie.

Also liked the first Conjuring movie and loved a rather unacknowledged film called ‘The Void’. But of a cult classic. Excellent posters.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here