Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sayings the younger gen don't understand

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Spawny-eyed, parrot-faced wazzock...

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
A pedant writes: They were actually 5 1/4". The smaller ones were 3 1/2", and, there were 8" ones too.

You've forgotten the rather overpriced 3" ones that were used by Amstrad in their CPC and PCW ranges, as well as in the Spectrum +3 after Amstrad bought Sinclair Research.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
My late father in law had a great saying when anyone had a moan about something - bear in mind he was a tough as old boots Geordie who was war injury pensioned from Korea.

"I know a man who had his head chopped off and never said aught!"

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I read somewhere that "Can I get" is an Americanism that has somehow crept in over here, apparently because they can't understand the concept of "May I have". To an American, 'may I have', sounds like you want what ever it is for nothing, where as 'Can I get', implies you are going to then pay for it.

Oh, and I also bloody hate the saying.

I hate it too! Our son and 3 friends came over this summer for a holiday and every time we ate out, they said to the waiter "Can I get" Where the F*** did they learn this from?

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Brought up in Moulsecoomb, lived there till I was 25, completely new phrase to me
I lived in Moulsecoomb from 1967 until 1988 in The Crescent, off Hillside. I went to Stanmer and left 1973. Did you go to Stanmer or Moulsecoomb or even Fawcett? I hope it wasn't Westlain (sorry old habits)!! We must have had mutual friends?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm good instead of no thank you.

As in, would you like to stay for dinner.
1980 no thank you
2014 no I'm good

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I said to one lad who had impressed me at work " there's no flies on you" he looked himself up and down and said " of course not, what are you trying to say " :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
"Turn the telly over when you get up from the sofa"
" It's looking black over Will's Mothers" .....(when rain clouds approach)
"Blimey, they would have heard that over Slonk Hill!" ......

I remember my father saying to me when I was a kid " it's black over Wills Mothers" we were in my grandmothers kitchen in the house he grew up in, I asked him if Will was an old mate. :facepalm:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Me (as a youngster): What's for dinner, Mum?
Mum: Oh, Air Pie and Walk Round...

Actually, on reflection, although I know it was supposed to mean 'wait and see', now I'm no longer in the yoof generation, I still don't know how it can mean that.

Dad always sais there was 'bread and pull it' for tea..

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I remember when I was in senior school back in the early 1970s if someone was a prat or did something stupid we would call him 'a wet wa**er', it was a term used then but when I left school I didn't hear it again.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Dad always sais there was 'bread and pull it' for tea..

One of my mums favourites, along with many other sayings.

One she does use is ' toss pot' she has another meaning for this which I have never asked her to explain, i have always thought it was an insult along with 'tosser'.
At a recent family party she was calling her young great grand daughter a "little toss pot" my wife was in fits of laughter and asked me if she knew what it meant.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Me (as a youngster): What's for dinner, Mum?
Mum: Oh, Air Pie and Walk Round...

Actually, on reflection, although I know it was supposed to mean 'wait and see', now I'm no longer in the yoof generation, I still don't know how it can mean that.

My mum called it 'jellymeatwhiskers'.

And it's 'fainites' BTW.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Back at school in the eighties, that saying really drove me nuts. Thinking about it, it still does as I have absolutely no idea what it means.:angry:

Itchy Beard was derived from the sarcastic comment "yeah, and my beards really itchy" which of course no kid has. This would later become just a visible chin rub and no words, to indicate you didn't believe what someone was saying, this got added to the sarcastic phrase "Yeah, reckon" and we ended up verbalising the chin rub gesture and "Yeah, reckon" as "Chinny reck-on". Chin rubs and chinny reck-on led to "Jimmy Hill" (biggest chin) being used in response to the most outrageous bullcrap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here