Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Savvy Potter has mastered precise time to move up

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
How's their Spanish?

Roberts is pretty much the best. I notice we've not rushed to hire Chelsea's old one so there's at least one big six club he trumps.

Their Spanish might be as limited as the relevance of them knowing Spanish or not. You may struggle with it, but others are capable of being friends and mentors without knowing any Spanish.

If you say Roberts is the best then maybe thats the case. Personally I haven't watched too many English GK coaches during training sessions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Their Spanish might be as limited as the relevance of them knowing Spanish or not. You may struggle with it, but others are capable of being friends and mentors without knowing any Spanish.

You know exactly what I'm talking about. The likes of Enciso, Estupinan and Caicedo have lost a coach whose first language is their first language. I suppose they can always talk to Adam Lallana. Lallana sounds like a bit of a Spanish name if you say it in a comedy accent.

Someone else summed Roberts up perfectly on here - took Stockdale from an overweight chancer with no confidence to fit and one of the best keepers in the Championship. He was never as good before or since. Turned Mat Ryan into a Premier League keeper which is frankly ****ing miraculous and has a guy who was playing for Rochdale as a full international.

If you know of a better record than that do let me know.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You know exactly what I'm talking about. The likes of Enciso, Estupinan and Caicedo have lost a coach whose first language is their first language. I suppose they can always talk to Adam Lallana. Lallana sounds like a bit of a Spanish name if you say it in a comedy accent.

Someone else summed Roberts up perfectly on here - took Stockdale from an overweight chancer with no confidence to fit and one of the best keepers in the Championship. He was never as good before or since. Turned Mat Ryan into a Premier League keeper which is frankly ****ing miraculous and has a guy who was playing for Rochdale as a full international.

Just ban him for a month please, he is being an annoying dick. That should give him the time to settle in on a Chelsea forum :wink:

Maybe it’s just me but I am sick of reading his posts at the moment, they are fecking everywhere so hard to ignore

I have always been a bit of a fascist :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Lallana doesn't 'sound a bit like a Spanish name'. It is a Spanish name. His father is half Spanish.

And Ben Roberts CV also includes the discovery and transition form youth teamer to first teamer (at Charlton) of Nick Pope.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Lallana doesn't 'sound a bit like a Spanish name'. It is a Spanish name. His father is half Spanish.

And Ben Roberts CV also includes the discovery and transition form youth teamer to first teamer (at Charlton) of Nick Pope.

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Fair enough. Tremendous knowledge.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Or they could talk to Rob Sanchez or Alexis Mac Allister or Jeremy Sarmiento if they have questions etc. I'm pretty sure the club will be able to provide interpreters and English teachers if required.

Most foreigners who move to PL clubs don't have any coach speaking their first language and it usually turns out ok anyway.

Of course its an advantage to have several people in your club speaking your native language but it isn't as big of a deal as people may think (or want, so that they can get to be angry).

Ben Roberts by all accounts is a fantastic GK coach, maybe the best - who knows, there's plenty of good keepers around. And since Roberts is fantastic, maybe you could trust him to identify another fantastic goalkeeper coach - so maybe Jack Stern could be just as good? He's a Brighton fan as well, might refuse to leave when Manchester City or similar come calling for him.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Not downplaying Ben Roberts loss at all - which will be considerable - but Shannon Ruth who remained at the club last Thursday and now works alongside Crofts , was Academy goalkeeping coach for 6 years. (a period when we've developed multiple youth GK talent)
Sanchez has mentioned him multiple times crediting him with his development
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1949316/sanchez-thankful-for-albions-support

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Or they could talk to Rob Sanchez or Alexis Mac Allister or Jeremy Sarmiento if they have questions etc. I'm pretty sure the club will be able to provide interpreters and English teachers if required.

Your suggestion to mentor new Spanish speaking players is Jeremy Sarmiento?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not downplaying Ben Roberts loss at all - which will be considerable - but Shannon Ruth who remained at the club last Thursday and now works alongside Crofts , was Academy goalkeeping coach for 6 years. (a period when we've developed multiple youth GK talent)
Sanchez has mentioned him multiple times crediting him with his development
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/1949316/sanchez-thankful-for-albions-support

No one's denigrating the people we have left. Crofts, Lallana, Ruth, all bags of potential. But the point remains Bruno and Roberts are going to be hard to replace. IMO harder than Potter. BR for his quality and Bruno not only for coaching but for orientation, club knowledge, a link from old to new.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Your suggestion to mentor new Spanish speaking players is Jeremy Sarmiento?

No. I don't think you need specific Spanish speaking mentors for Spanish speaking players at all. And neither did anyone else until about a week ago when people started looking for arguments why Bruno Saltor is Bruno Satan. I certainly didn't see any suggestions that the club should sign Hiroshi Yamauchi to babysit Mitoma or sign up SAF to accomodate this Billy bloke.

Is it nice & practical to have some coach speaking your language? Probably. Is it a big deal? Usually not. Hence why a lot of clubs have 10+ number of different first languages in their squads but very rarely a coach staff speaking all those 10+ different languages.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
No one's denigrating the people we have left. Crofts, Lallana, Ruth, all bags of potential. But the point remains Bruno and Roberts are going to be hard to replace. IMO harder than Potter. BR for his quality and Bruno not only for coaching but for orientation, club knowledge, a link from old to new.
No disrespect but none of us know how good a coach Bruno is ?! He's a relative rookie as well.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
No disrespect but none of us know how good a coach Bruno is ?! He's a relative rookie as well.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Anyone can put cones out but you're deliberating ignoring the "but for" clause of my sentence.

However, considering Potter brought him on, took him with and gave him responsibility when people were off with Covid I'd say he's a good coach in the opinion of a good coach.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

agreed.

Barber acknowledged them both in his presser today and said how they’d hoped they would stay but…

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I don't know it feels like it's been so long since I replied to you. :D

Ahh , i`m really glad you were so polite about it "What a load of bollocks " can be misconstrued in so many ways , normally a very negative personal attack , but now i know you were just offensive for no particular reason ! .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ahh , i`m really glad you were so polite about it "What a load of bollocks " can be misconstrued in so many ways , normally a very negative personal attack , but now i know you were just offensive for no particular reason ! .

Sensitivity does seem to be sky high this week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here