Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Save our Hippodrome

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A cinema complex would go be good in that area. Lots of places to meet and eat. They should pedestrianise more of that area. The 'luvvies' don't have a sustainable plan. Don't agree with expanding Churchhill Square further though. How many more shops do you we really need?

Agree about pedestrianising the area. Personally my vote is to use it as a music venue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Oct 25, 2003
Agree about pedestrianising the area. Personally my vote is to use it as a music venue.

that would be good but as mentioned before there are issues around soundproofing (people who live just off WEST STREET complaining about noise!!!). For a gig venue they should go all out on the Astoria (looked up the name). Perfect location these days with its proximity to London Road and North Laine and its a mighty fine building

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Thanks for the links. Despite the views of a couple of other posters, I think the Hippodrome should be treated as a tarnished jewel in the crown of our wonderful city and, as such, it needs a bit of tlc and restoration. It could be the fabulous and only third of it's type in the world, yet our local council thinks we need another multiplex. What's the point of a magical, unique interior if it's covered up.

The council doesn't think we need another Multiplex. Many, if not most councillors are against the scheme.

However, the application ticked all the required boxes within UK planning law, and had to be voted through. Sentiment plays very little part. If the building had enough of a protected status, for instance, the application could be turned down. As it is, I believe a fair few caveats have been put in place in order to protect its current status, including should the mulitplex business be a failure.

The situation is not dissimilar to when the Albion applied for planning permission to build a retail park on the Goldstone Ground and were turned down by Hove Borough Council for reasons which weren't valid. The club sought legal advice, and won on appeal.

As it is, this building has been uncared for for far too long. It's only now that, because someone has applied for something not particularly desirable, that people have got upset. Until then, it was only ever going to fall into further ruin. Another West Pier tale.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
that would be good but as mentioned before there are issues around soundproofing (people who live just off WEST STREET complaining about noise!!!). For a gig venue they should go all out on the Astoria (looked up the name). Perfect location these days with its proximity to London Road and North Laine and its a mighty fine building

... and, like the Hippodrome, is in a 'residential area'.

Hence it has never opened as a music venue.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009

It is not about your vote as in Eurovision! A music venue will have a capital cost £21 million. Read the plan and then you'll see how they propose to raise this huge amount of money. Pie in the sky. It hasn't been that type of venue since 1964 for a reason.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
A multiplex cinema would be a great addition to the South Laines.

lqb8.jpg

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don’t think the multiplex cinema is such a bad idea and this building has moved on from its original use which was a purpose built ice rink. It then became a circus then variety theatre followed by the Bingo hall.

I have had a look at the plans and I also found this video, and by all accounts this project saves the Hippodrome.

I quite like it.

It looks like they have spent a lot of time and money to come up with a tasteful design that is sensitive to the internal integrity of the dome part of the building which will be appreciated by it users, unlike as it currently stands.

I guess the point is with the “Save our Hippodrome” group, in actual fact the proposed development is actually doing its very best to save it. Official website: http://www.brightonhippodrome.co.uk

All the plans can be seen here http://ww3.brighton-hove.gov.uk/ind...=showDetail&application_number=BH2013/04 351
Application number: BH2013/04351

Last edited:

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
I don’t think the multiplex cinema is such a bad idea and this building has moved on from its original use which was a purpose built ice rink. It then became a circus then variety theatre followed by the Bingo hall.

I have had a look at the plans and I also found this video, and by all accounts this project saves the Hippodrome.

I quite like it.

It looks like they have spent a lot of time and money to come up with a tasteful design that is sensitive to the internal integrity of the dome part of the building which will be appreciated by it users, unlike as it currently stands.

I guess the point is with the “Save our Hippodrome” group, in actual fact the proposed development is actually doing its very best to save it. Official website: http://www.brightonhippodrome.co.uk

All the plans can be seen here http://ww3.brighton-hove.gov.uk/ind...=showDetail&application_number=BH2013/04 351
Application number: BH2013/04351

I think you might have missed what the so called "save the hippodrome" group is. They don't want this development at all. They want the facility to be a 1500 seater auditorium for west end shows. To do this they need £21million capital but have no money. Their revenue plan is a farce. They have spread misinformation about the hippodrome by creating "save" it group leading to people thinking the Alaska development will destroy the facility. It won't. It will in fact save the design. These people have had 50 yrs to get the funding for capital and revenue plan but wait until an organisation has a viable capital funds and revenue plan to complain about the development.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think you might have missed what the so called "save the hippodrome" group is. They don't want this development at all. They want the facility to be a 1500 seater auditorium for west end shows. To do this they need £21million capital but have no money. Their revenue plan is a farce. They have spread misinformation about the hippodrome by creating "save" it group leading to people thinking the Alaska development will destroy the facility. It won't. It will in fact save the design. These people have had 50 yrs to get the funding for capital and revenue plan but wait until an organisation has a viable capital funds and revenue plan to complain about the development.

Yep I agree. This development will actually save the Hippodrome whilst the "Save Our Hippodrome" group would rather see it fall to the ground with inaction than move with the times. We have got loads of theatres and performance venues in Brighton are struggling to make ends meet, and another theatre is financially detrimental to all the others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep I agree. This development will actually save the Hippodrome whilst the "Save Our Hippodrome" group would rather see it fall to the ground with inaction than move with the times. We have got loads of theatres and performance venues in Brighton are struggling to make ends meet, and another theatre is financially detrimental to all the others.

Which live music venues are struggling? Just curious as I was under the impression live music has been at an all time high over the past few years.

A 1,500 capacity auditorium? There are West End theatres which survive on substantially smaller audiences than 1,500. No doubt you could cobble together a business plan that presumed 1,500 people would show up for ten shows a week and pay £40 a ticket (producing an annual income of £30 million), but making that a reality would be a completely different bucket of fish.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Which live music venues are struggling? Just curious as I was under the impression live music has been at an all time high over the past few years.

Theatres struggle to make ends meet, I am not talking about a live music/club venues like the Concorde 2, the Albert, the Brunswick or Coalition etc.

The Old Market Theatre couldn't afford to run until it was taken over and subsidised by STOMP, who now use it as their UK base. They also have to use it for performance courses and many other types of Arts events. They cannot run it on shows alone.

The Marlborough Theatre struggles, the Ropetackle in Shoreham struggles. I can't really drag out a list but I think it is well documented that theatres are high maintenance.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Theatres struggle to make ends meet, I am not talking about a live music/club venue like the Concorde 2, the Albert, the Brunswick or Coalition etc.

The Old Market Theatre couldn't afford to run until it was taken over and subsidised by STOMP, who now use it as their UK base. They also have to use it for performance courses and many other types of Arts events. They cannot run it on shows alone.

The Marlborough Theatre struggles, the Ropetackle in Shoreham struggles. I can't really drag out a list but I think it is well documented that theatres are high maintenance.

My wish is for it to be turned into a music venue though, huge market for this.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
My wish is for it to be turned into a music venue though, huge market for this.

AMG acquired the lease of the building in 2007, with intention to convert to a live music venue & nightclub, but they couldn't soundproof the building without covering up the internal ornateness and decor. They tried but they couldn't do it because noise pollution has strict guidelines which you can see the details here http://wam.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Pla...LUME4&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

The Save our Hippodrome campaigners want to keep it as a theatre which also has a noise pollution issue.

With the small cinema complex they are using the non significant parts of the building but the dome area will be viewed in its full glory in the restaurant area. I think the most important thing is its renovation, not what the operational purpose is.

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
AMG acquired the lease of the building in 2007, with intention to convert to a live music venue & nightclub, but they couldn't soundproof the building without covering up the internal ornateness and decor. They tried but they couldn't do it because noise pollution has strict guidelines which you can see the details here http://wam.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Pla...LUME4&contentType=application/pdf&pageCount=1

The Save our Hippodrome campaigners want to keep it as a theatre which also has a noise pollution issue.

With the small cinema complex they are using the non significant parts of the building but the dome area will be viewed in its full glory in the restaurant area. I think the most important thing is its renovation, not what the operational purpose is.

Agree with this. Very well said.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I do have a bit of an issue with people living in a city centre and complaining about noise pollution. Is it right that, at most a few hundred, can stop the enjoyment of many hundreds of thousands?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I do have a bit of an issue with people living in a city centre and complaining about noise pollution. Is it right that, at most a few hundred, can stop the enjoyment of many hundreds of thousands?

If our neighbours had a few loud parties over a year it is live and let live, but to have one 365 days a year, we probably wouldn't like it. :shrug:

Those hundreds and thousands, if it is that many, can go and find somewhere else to enjoy themselves, so it doesn't stop anyones enjoyment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here