[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This might not be interesting to many people, but I'm tucking it in this thread because of the link to Newcastle...

Currently there are rumours that PIF have agreed a deal to buy World Wrestling Entertainment (for the older generation, the former WWF).

Last year Vince McMahon resigned from WWE after it was revealled he had a number of NDAs with women he had liaisons with and paid off, and allegations of sexual assault. He retained ownership of the company through shares, but had been forced out. As majority owner, he was able to force his way back into the company by refusing to agree any TV rights deal that he wasn't involved in negotiating. (To note, the majority of the company's money comes from TV deals). In his announcement about returning, Vince also noted the possibility of selling the company.

Earlier, his daughter, Stephanie, resigned from her role of co-CEO (which she took when he was forced out).

This was shortly followed by reports and rumours online, that PIF had bought the company.

They have an existing relationship, because they have paid WWE oodles of money to put on shows in Saudi Arabia each year. WWE would be expecting in the region of $5bn, and so it limits who could afford it.

Some more recent reports are noting that sources within WWE are denying this is true, but there's no official word.
Vince McMahon is an absolute lunatic. Forced to resign / retire at 77 and he's done everything in his power to undo that.

I read on a wrestling forum that they're also allegedly speaking to Disney about a sale.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Vince McMahon is an absolute lunatic. Forced to resign / retire at 77 and he's done everything in his power to undo that.

I read on a wrestling forum that they're also allegedly speaking to Disney about a sale.
He would want so much money for the company, there are only a handful of parties that can realistic buy it/would be interested in buying it. Disney are one of those, partly because they currently have deal with one country's disney+ to show WWE's stuff. (Possibly india's disney+ territory?).

Another football related aspect - the current main rival (i.e. the only other wrestling ocmpany with network TV in the US) is AEW, run by Tony Khan and owned by the Khan family who also own Fulham FC. They are someone people are talking about as potential buyers. It'll likely be bought by someone looking for content for a streaming services, so would expect Amazon to probably be put in the mix.

There's also the possibility it's all posturing and Vince is just being Vince and will keep the company.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
He would want so much money for the company, there are only a handful of parties that can realistic buy it/would be interested in buying it. Disney are one of those, partly because they currently have deal with one country's disney+ to show WWE's stuff. (Possibly india's disney+ territory?).

Another football related aspect - the current main rival (i.e. the only other wrestling ocmpany with network TV in the US) is AEW, run by Tony Khan and owned by the Khan family who also own Fulham FC. They are someone people are talking about as potential buyers. It'll likely be bought by someone looking for content for a streaming services, so would expect Amazon to probably be put in the mix.

There's also the possibility it's all posturing and Vince is just being Vince and will keep the company.
AEW is great.

I must admit to having switched off from WWE about 15 years ago. After the Attitude Era it all felt a bit rubbish. But AEW seems to be reveling in that sort of larger than life, slightly ridiculous story-telling. Would love to see what they can do with an enormous Amazon style budget.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Newcastle’s Howe undecided on picking Joelinton after drink-driving charge

Cut out his liver?
Comment from The Guardian:-

“While Roberto De Zerbi is clearly showing he takes no s*** by dropping arguably his best player over a poor attitude, Eddie Howe is still ‘thinking about it’ with regards to Joelinton. Howe may be a very good coach, but he is showing as much backbone here as he does when fielding questions about the Saudi government. Well done De Zerbi.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Comment from The Guardian:-

“While Roberto De Zerbi is clearly showing he takes no s*** by dropping arguably his best player over a poor attitude, Eddie Howe is still ‘thinking about it’ with regards to Joelinton. Howe may be a very good coach, but he is showing as much backbone here as he does when fielding questions about the Saudi government. Well done De Zerbi.”
sorry but that’s rubbish. Brighton have played players who have lost their license, been arrested etc

rool

Jul 10, 2003
sorry but that’s rubbish. Brighton have played players who have lost their license, been arrested etc
No need to be sorry, just sharing but think the comment is comparing De Zerbi to Howe as of now.
As far as I know there have been no DUI incidents since he joined?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Potter used to play Dahmer & Shipman up front in a big man small man combo.
The guy was a monster.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This might not be interesting to many people, but I'm tucking it in this thread because of the link to Newcastle...

Currently there are rumours that PIF have agreed a deal to buy World Wrestling Entertainment (for the older generation, the former WWF).

Last year Vince McMahon resigned from WWE after it was revealled he had a number of NDAs with women he had liaisons with and paid off, and allegations of sexual assault. He retained ownership of the company through shares, but had been forced out. As majority owner, he was able to force his way back into the company by refusing to agree any TV rights deal that he wasn't involved in negotiating. (To note, the majority of the company's money comes from TV deals). In his announcement about returning, Vince also noted the possibility of selling the company.

Earlier, his daughter, Stephanie, resigned from her role of co-CEO (which she took when he was forced out).

This was shortly followed by reports and rumours online, that PIF had bought the company.

They have an existing relationship, because they have paid WWE oodles of money to put on shows in Saudi Arabia each year. WWE would be expecting in the region of $5bn, and so it limits who could afford it.

Some more recent reports are noting that sources within WWE are denying this is true, but there's no official word.

UFC parent company Endeavor have bought 51% stake in WWE (or announced to the stock exchange the agreement and intent to buy, just paperwork to complete - if not done by January both sides will have an option to walk away). Vince, having returned from 'retirement' (stepping away after accusations of rape and financial issues around paying off women he slept with), will remain as WWE Executive Chairman and recently said he will be returning to the creative process (though not running it day to day, will have a high power position in the process). Nick Khan will remain as CEO.

A new company will be formed 'TKO' that is reported to be worth $21bn as owner of UFC and WWE. Both will be run mostly separately, with some cost saving shared responsibility of behind the scenes/office jobs.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I see Newcastle have signed a new sponsorship deal worth 25 million per season. We get 100 million from Amex over a 12 year period.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Saudi government via their fund, took control of their 4 main clubs today, paving the way to sign Messi, Benzema and others on £171m a year each. NUFC are owned by the same fund.

I wonder if it’s crossed their devious minds to later loan stars to NUFC on modest charges that don’t impact FFP here?

PL and CL titles would complete the sportswashing.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I see Newcastle have signed a new sponsorship deal worth 25 million per season. We get 100 million from Amex over a 12 year period.
To be fair that's fair market value for an ambitious club, with huge financial backing and a decent history/size/brand/whatever you want to call it.

Where it's coming from is rank, but nobody would bat an eye if we owned by a hedgefund and they put their brand on our shirts for the same amount.

Nobody was complaining when Ashley was plastering our stadium with his billboards and not paying a penny. 'It's his club he can do what he wants', we were told.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
To be fair that's fair market value for an ambitious club, with huge financial backing and a decent history/size/brand/whatever you want to call it.

Where it's coming from is rank, but nobody would bat an eye if we owned by a hedgefund and they put their brand on our shirts for the same amount.

Nobody was complaining when Ashley was plastering our stadium with his billboards and not paying a penny. 'It's his club he can do what he wants', we were told.
I don't recall Ashley cutting up journalists alive with a saw or staging regular mass public executions but hey ho

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

You are able to separate NUFC from the Saudi State. To me, your club is now a PR arm of the Saudi State. Despite your comparisons. It shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but it has, and the whole of football has to live with that consequence. It is shameful. And a shame for such a great club. And we are all the less for it. So spare us your hedgefund/Ashley bollocks.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
You are able to separate NUFC from the Saudi State. To me, your club is now a PR arm of the Saudi State. Despite your comparisons. It shouldn't have been allowed to happen, but it has, and the whole of football has to live with that consequence. It is shameful. And a shame for such a great club. And we are all the less for it. So spare us your hedgefund/Ashley bollocks.
Spot on.
Anyone claiming Toon aren't the PR arm of the Saudi state is lying.
It's that simple

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Yep, this 100%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports