Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just a bit silly, isn't it? Be like calling Altrincham a big club.
Why are you so bothered about what some random on a messageboard for a club you don't even support said about Newcastle ? I dunno how you can be arsed to argue the toss tbh. We're not even rivals.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
100 most searched football clubs (in the world). Newcatle not in the top 100 (neither are Brighton). There are 15 clubs from England, putting Newcastle below the likes of Burnley, Aston Villa, Wolves, Leicester, Everton and Southampton.

Newcastle are outside the top 10 for social media followers in the Premier League

https://www.prexcellence.com/epl-tables puts newcastle as a club 12 (man utd top with 123m followers v Newcastle's 3.9m), but the players within the team 16th (199m for Man U v 5.7m for Newcastle).

Ipswiche's social media following is around 510k. one 10th of Newcastle's. Newcastle's is roughly one 30th of Man Utds. Showing proportionally, the gap between Iswich and newcastle is a third the size of the gap between Newcastle and Man Utd.
Burnley !!! Who is searching Burnley ????

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Better late than never. I wonder whether our resident "defender of sportswashing" concurs with the views of this group and if he will be supporting its aims.
When have I ever, defended sportswashing? I've said many times before, states shouldn't own football clubs and certainly not this state. They're horrific. I do concur with the views of this group and respect and support their right to express them.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It holds about as much weight as your assertions that Newcastle are a big club, doesn't it?

Opinions mate, everyone's got one.
True enough,

I'd expect our renown/notoriety will rise as time goes on. We've recently signed a young lad from Central Coast Mariners, who's in the Socceroos team already. That'll help usurp Leeds down under.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not sure that your personal experience hold as much weight as you seem to think it does. ;)
He's right though.

And not just about Australia - that you encounter many, many more Leeds fans than Newcastle (or obviously, Brighton) wherever you travel, is a fact.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This might not be interesting to many people, but I'm tucking it in this thread because of the link to Newcastle...

Currently there are rumours that PIF have agreed a deal to buy World Wrestling Entertainment (for the older generation, the former WWF).

Last year Vince McMahon resigned from WWE after it was revealled he had a number of NDAs with women he had liaisons with and paid off, and allegations of sexual assault. He retained ownership of the company through shares, but had been forced out. As majority owner, he was able to force his way back into the company by refusing to agree any TV rights deal that he wasn't involved in negotiating. (To note, the majority of the company's money comes from TV deals). In his announcement about returning, Vince also noted the possibility of selling the company.

Earlier, his daughter, Stephanie, resigned from her role of co-CEO (which she took when he was forced out).

This was shortly followed by reports and rumours online, that PIF had bought the company.

They have an existing relationship, because they have paid WWE oodles of money to put on shows in Saudi Arabia each year. WWE would be expecting in the region of $5bn, and so it limits who could afford it.

Some more recent reports are noting that sources within WWE are denying this is true, but there's no official word.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Based on I live in a foreign country outside of the UK and Leeds have far far more support here than Newcastle do.

Not even close.
Probably because Leeds is a Yorkshire club
Whereas Newcastle is quite local

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Interesting choice of feeder club for the Toon, will be interesting to see how it goes for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here