Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Saying we're a pretty small club is definitely fishing for a nibble. Don't want to get into a big club debate because it's endlessly tedious and no one fanbase will agree with another about what the criterion are. But 'pretty small' is a bit of a silly thing to say, before or after the takeover.
You keep ignoring that I said "globally". Within England you are historically a decent-sized club due to fanbase size.

100% wasn't fishing. Prior to takeover you weren't a big club on the GLOBAL scale - you have a large local following but haven't won anything of any note since 1955.

I'd be curious what evidence you would have to the contrary.

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
You keep ignoring that I said "globally". Within England you are historically a decent-sized club due to fanbase size.

100% wasn't fishing. Prior to takeover you weren't a big club on the GLOBAL scale - you have a large local following but haven't won anything of any note since 1955.

'Keep ignoring'? I think I missed it once. :LOL:

Depends what the measure is? Fan groups? Google searches by region/nation? Social Media activity?

I'd be surprised if Newcastle United wasn't around 10th for Premier League clubs worldwide. We're definitely behind the giants like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs. Then probably behind Everton and maybe West Ham? But given the PL is the biggest Football league in the world and given the other big leagues only have a handful of teams each that would maybe garner a global audience, I'd suggest that every PL club is 'big' globally, especially when stacked up against the sheer number of professional clubs there are.

Barcelona, R.Madrid, A.Madrid(?)
PSG, Marseille(?), Lyon(?)
Bayern, Dortmund
Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan
Ajax

It doesn't really matter though, does it? 30 years ago, Chelsea were a middling London club that was ok in the cups. 17 of their 23 major trophies came after Abramovic bought them in 2003. Now they're a legitimately 'big' club. Similar for Man City. In 30yrs time maybe Wrexham will be a 'big' club.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I hate to break it to anyone who thinks being in the premier league makes a club big globally...but,...it doesn't. Not really.

In my experience what makes a club big globally is the Champions league - being in it and being successful in it, along with having recognisable big name players. The premier league helps those English clubs in the champions league because the prem is a globally watched league so it magnifies the exposure of those teams. Oh, and the fact that they win lots in the premier league. Globally people attach themselves to success.

No one, or to be more precise, very few, give a flying f*** about the other teams that are not Man utd, man city, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs(although to be honest not that many people care about Spurs either. They've had a peak in popularity thanks to making the champions league final but if they don't back that up they'll fall away again). They are the extras, just making up the numbers. Domestically Newcastle are a fairly big club, as are Everton, Villa, Leeds, West Ham etc but you try telling that to the global audience. They're only in people's consciousness to be cannon fodder to the 'proper' teams and provide a salacious shock every now and then by beating a big boy. Whether they like it or not they are the same as Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth and if they were ever to make it Burton.

The good news for Newcastle is now they're Saudia Arabia they've got the financial power to muscle in to the champions league and if they're really lucky they'll be popular enough to sneak into the next iteration of the Super League.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I hate to break it to anyone who thinks being in the premier league makes a club big globally...but,...it doesn't. Not really.

In my experience what makes a club big globally is the Champions league - being in it and being successful in it, along with having recognisable big name players. The premier league helps those English clubs in the champions league because the prem is a globally watched league so it magnifies the exposure of those teams. Oh, and the fact that they win lots in the premier league. Globally people attach themselves to success.

No one, or to be more precise, very few, give a flying f*** about the other teams that are not Man utd, man city, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs(although to be honest not that many people care about Spurs either. They've had a peak in popularity thanks to making the champions league final but if they don't back that up they'll fall away again). They are the extras, just making up the numbers. Domestically Newcastle are a fairly big club, as are Everton, Villa, Leeds, West Ham etc but you try telling that to the global audience. They're only in people's consciousness to be cannon fodder to the 'proper' teams and provide a salacious shock every now and then by beating a big boy. Whether they like it or not they are the same as Brighton, Brentford, Bournemouth and if they were ever to make it Burton.

The good news for Newcastle is now they're Saudia Arabia they've got the financial power to muscle in to the champions league and if they're really lucky they'll be popular enough to sneak into the next iteration of the Super League.
Yup. Nail on head.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'd be surprised if Newcastle United wasn't around 10th for Premier League clubs worldwide.
You may be right in saying Newcastle was around 10th in terms of worldwide interest for English teams, but when the top 5/6 take 99% of that global interest in English teams, there really isn’t much left, if any, to give to the team in 10th!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'll just offer that on last night's Monday Night Club, a Newcastle-based journo says that Trossard is their target -- in January (IIRC).
They can afford him, no doubt, and will be able to pay more wages than we do.

It depends what Leo wants though. There he'll be vying for minutes with Wilson, Isak, ASM, Joelinton and Almiron. That list doesn't include Murphy and Fraser, and it also presupposes that they don't sign other forwards.
With us, he's pretty much nailed on to start when fit (and has done for several seasons now), and will play significantly more minutes.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll just offer that on last night's Monday Night Club, a Newcastle-based journo says that Trossard is their target -- in January (IIRC).

It depends what Leo wants though. There he'll be vying for minutes with Wilson, Isak, ASM, Joelinton and Almiron. That list doesn't include Murphy and Fraser, and it also presupposes that they don't sign other forwards.
With us, he's pretty much nailed on to start when fit (and has done for several seasons now), and will play significantly more minutes.
Also depends on what he thinks his ceiling is as well. His agent may suggest he stays with us til the end of the season, and then it's more than possible a bigger fish may come along for him in the summer. Perhaps one with guaranteed CL football for next season.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
You may be right in saying Newcastle was around 10th in terms of worldwide interest for English teams, but when the top 5/6 take 99% of that global interest in English teams, there really isn’t much left, if any, to give to the team in 10th!

The point I'm trying to make is that, on the global stage, we may be miles behind the likes of Man City et al, but we're miles ahead of Ipswich, or any of the other 80 odd professional English teams, all but 1 - 3 of the elite European sides. So we're not the biggest, no, of course not. But 'pretty small' is disingenuous.

Again, it doesn't really matter though. Leeds were a big club and that didn't help them any as they tumbled down the leagues, Leicester weren't considered a 'big club' and they won the league. Everton, Aston Villa, West Ham all consider themselves big clubs, all of them are beneath Brentford.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea

Now is the time for this club to make a statement - NO SALES this January. I want to see at least some stability for the rest of this season.

It’s one thing to a top 4 club for silly money but not f***ing Newcastle. Burn was an exception, local lad wanted to go home etc. This is the same Newcastle that we played off the pitch in August.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

I thought Trossard operates mostly wide left? I guess the thinking is that he'll provide competition for ASM, and that he's more likely to put a shift in that our mercurial Frenchman? Have to say I thought Trossard was great on his day, but a little inconsistent. But that's based on little more than watching him on MOTD, in games against us and the rare occasion that I watch your games on tv.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
100 most searched football clubs (in the world). Newcatle not in the top 100 (neither are Brighton). There are 15 clubs from England, putting Newcastle below the likes of Burnley, Aston Villa, Wolves, Leicester, Everton and Southampton.

Newcastle are outside the top 10 for social media followers in the Premier League

https://www.prexcellence.com/epl-tables puts newcastle as a club 12 (man utd top with 123m followers v Newcastle's 3.9m), but the players within the team 16th (199m for Man U v 5.7m for Newcastle).

Ipswich's social media following is around 510k, one 10th of Newcastle's. Newcastle's is roughly one 30th of Man Utds. Showing proportionally, the gap between Ipswich and newcastle is a third the size of the gap between Newcastle and Man Utd.

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
100 most searched football clubs (in the world). Newcatle not in the top 100 (neither are Brighton). There are 15 clubs from England, putting Newcastle below the likes of Burnley, Aston Villa, Wolves, Leicester, Everton and Southampton.

Newcastle are outside the top 10 for social media followers in the Premier League

https://www.prexcellence.com/epl-tables puts newcastle as a club 12 (man utd top with 123m followers v Newcastle's 3.9m), but the players within the team 16th (199m for Man U v 5.7m for Newcastle).

Ipswiche's social media following is around 510k. one 10th of Newcastle's. Newcastle's is roughly one 30th of Man Utds. Showing proportionally, the gap between Iswich and newcastle is a third the size of the gap between Newcastle and Man Utd.
Good to know.

Still don't think that marks NUFC as 'pretty small', though.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good to know.

Still don't think that marks NUFC as 'pretty small', though.
I guess your desire for Newcastle to be a big club rather than a nice, clever, moral, down-to-earth one explains a lot.

Generally don't think your alone in that sense though. There's fans in a lot of clubs getting angry or offended if you tell them they're not a big club... as if thousands of tourists, glory hunters and fair-weather supporters are somehow going to improve your matchday experience.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
'Keep ignoring'? I think I missed it once. :LOL:

Depends what the measure is? Fan groups? Google searches by region/nation? Social Media activity?

I'd be surprised if Newcastle United wasn't around 10th for Premier League clubs worldwide. We're definitely behind the giants like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Spurs. Then probably behind Everton and maybe West Ham? But given the PL is the biggest Football league in the world and given the other big leagues only have a handful of teams each that would maybe garner a global audience, I'd suggest that every PL club is 'big' globally, especially when stacked up against the sheer number of professional clubs there are.

Barcelona, R.Madrid, A.Madrid(?)
PSG, Marseille(?), Lyon(?)
Bayern, Dortmund
Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan
Ajax

It doesn't really matter though, does it? 30 years ago, Chelsea were a middling London club that was ok in the cups. 17 of their 23 major trophies came after Abramovic bought them in 2003. Now they're a legitimately 'big' club. Similar for Man City. In 30yrs time maybe Wrexham will be a 'big' club.

You're behind Leeds internationally.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne

There is no evidence to the contrary. What you say is completely accurate.

It is just unpalatable to Geordies who will be desperate to claim over the next few years that historic massiveness combined with Eddie Howe's genius is their cause of success - rather than £1bn blood money net spend on players...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here