Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
A bit stupid of him to keep funding your promotions back to the Premier at the first attempt both times you got relegated then. Maybe over the 14 years he was playing the long game :dunce:

You're confusing intent with result. He wanted a PL advert for Sports Direct. That is the only reason he loaned the club money. It's also the reason why he took that money back the minute we survived. However he stated that he wouldn't do that again, so when we eventually went down under Bruce, there's no Ashley leg up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What? No, nobody has a divine right to be good, but every football fan has a right to want the best for their club, even if other clubs have it worse. This is not a 'big club' thing. Other people on here have bemoaned your previous ownership, how do you think Bury fans would feel about that? Doesn't mean your complaints weren't justified. Man Utd fans have watched their club regress from a colossus bestriding the football world, to a midtable punchline. 80 odd clubs would swap with them in a heartbeat, but they've every right to want a change of ownership. An ownership that puts the football ahead of the balance sheet.

Everton fans are well within their rights to complain about their ownership despite them pumping hundreds of millions into the playing staff and the new stadium, because they're running the football side of things badly.
And so on and so forth.

Complaining is acceptable, accepting a country like Saudi Arabia without the fans protesting big time as being an acceptable means to an end not so much imo.

BTW we could have very easily have been a Bury but the fans did all they could to prevent it. We were lucky to have Fatboy Slim. Dick Knight, Tony Bloom and Stevie Gritt to thank that we didn't, and I think the fans played a big part in pushing the team on from 12 points (?) adrift at Xmas too

You are clearly an ardent and intelligent Newcastle fan but I think you are very misguided in defending what has happened to your club.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
10,000 walked away. We were only going one way. Just because your owner was worse, doesn't mean ours wasn't bad.

There's a world of difference between a "bad owner" and one who is attempting to kill, literally as per your words, a football club.

Mike Ashley didn't get to where he is in the world, and become as wealthy as he has, by intentionally devaluing or taking-to-zero the assets he owns. I certainly don't believe for a single second that Mike Ashley would have killed Newcastle United FC.

(I've been an interested observer to this discussion, and I do have quite a lot of sympathy with your position generally, and I don't know how I would react if the football club I have supported for nearly 45 years went the same way as Newcastle has. But Mike Ashley was not going to kill your football club.)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're confusing intent with result. He wanted a PL advert for Sports Direct. That is the only reason he loaned the club money. It's also the reason why he took that money back the minute we survived. However he stated that he wouldn't do that again, so when we eventually went down under Bruce, there's no Ashley leg up.

Did I blink and miss that, or should I file it under 'fantasy' alongside Ashley 'killing' the club :lolol:

Entertaining though your desperate attempts to justify the Saudi's have been, I really must get on :bigwave:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have been mightily entertained by HKFC's battle of wits with an unarmed fish. Long may it continue.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Complaining is acceptable, accepting a country like Saudi Arabia without the fans protesting big time as being an acceptable means to an end not so much imo.

BTW we could have very easily have been a Bury but the fans did all they could to prevent it. We were lucky to have Fatboy Slim. Dick Knight, Tony Bloom and Stevie Gritt to thank that we didn't, and I think the fans played a big part in pushing the team on from 12 points (?) adrift at Xmas too

You are clearly an ardent and intelligent Newcastle fan but I think you are very misguided in defending what has happened to your club.

There weren't protests, because of course there wouldn't be. I think, at worst, the fans could be accused of shortsightedness. We as a fanbase were sick of the devil we knew and were willing for any escape route offered to us. As I've said, had we a better liked owner, or had there been alternatives available I'm sure we would have protested the purchase by PIF. No doubt a chief reason for the interest was how little appetite there'd be for protest. My contention is that we're any different to any other fanbase. The idea that Newcastle fans are somehow less moral than others. I don't think that's true, or fair. At your nadir, I'm sure the reaction to PIF buying your club from Archer and Stanley would have been drastically different and very similar to ours.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
We've only lost once as well. We'll be fine. We've got ASM, Wilson, Isak and Bruno to return to full fitness. We're creating chances and defending well. Just need a bit of luck and for the officials not to be useless. We'd have got a point against Liverpool (maybe more) and all 3 points against Wolves and Palace.

VAR finally worked in our favour this weekend, but we were much the better side against Bournemouth who defended like lions, chiefly their 'keeper.

According to the tracker (#TrustTheTracker) you are two point behind where you should be given the teams you have played so far. We all have players missing. Basically you are under-performing. You might improve. Let's hope not.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There weren't protests, because of course there wouldn't be. I think, at worst, the fans could be accused of shortsightedness. We as a fanbase were sick of the devil we knew and were willing for any escape route offered to us. As I've said, had we a better liked owner, or had there been alternatives available I'm sure we would have protested the purchase by PIF. No doubt a chief reason for the interest was how little appetite there'd be for protest. My contention is that we're any different to any other fanbase. The idea that Newcastle fans are somehow less moral than others. I don't think that's true, or fair. At your nadir, I'm sure the reaction to PIF buying your club from Archer and Stanley would have been drastically different and very similar to ours.

There really is no comparison to where we were and where you were though. I refuse to believe that you can’t see that :smile:

Not sure we were as informed back in those days about atrocities
either.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
According to the tracker (#TrustTheTracker) you are two point behind where you should be given the teams you have played so far. We all have players missing. Basically you are under-performing. You might improve. Let's hope not.

Results wise, sure, we're behind where we'd like to be, but in terms of performance we're fine. As I said, bit of luck (hit the woodwork twice in the last game) and better officiating (Wolves and Palace) and we'd be in the nosebleed section of the table.

How much of your excellent start was down to Potter and can the new man continue along the same trajectory? I've no doubt your owners have prepared for this eventuality and the new bloke will not only play a similar style, but will also have potential to improve (as Potter does). I know nothing about your boss beyond what I've heard on podcasts; rated, Juve wanted him etc.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Results wise, sure, we're behind where we'd like to be, but in terms of performance we're fine. As I said, bit of luck (hit the woodwork twice in the last game) and better officiating (Wolves and Palace) and we'd be in the nosebleed section of the table.

How much of your excellent start was down to Potter and can the new man continue along the same trajectory? I've no doubt your owners have prepared for this eventuality and the new bloke will not only play a similar style, but will also have potential to improve (as Potter does). I know nothing about your boss beyond what I've heard on podcasts; rated, Juve wanted him etc.

I caught a fish!!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Needed more than a bit of luck to escape with a point from the Amex.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sters-push-to-smooth-saudi-newcastle-takeover

More Tory corruption emerging, not that this would surprise anyone, nut interesting that it extends to football I guess

Liars and chisellers, the lot of them. No doubt as the Investment Minister, Grimstone was on a nice tidy little earner to help broker the deal between PIF and the EPL.

"I made it very clear to Mr Hoffman (UK Ambassador to Saudi) that my only role was to facilitate the passing of ideas between the PIF and EPL and that in no way did I seek to prejudice the EPL’s complete autonomy in this matter."

"The passing of ideas..." :glare: He really must think everyone is stupid.

Dec 29, 2011
In the age where everyone agrees football is eating itself financially, how is an owner that was trying to run a club sustainably come under so much scrutiny? The Newcastle fans are livid Ashley wasn't losing money hand over fist? By the same logic, does that mean the Everton owners are doing a terrific job?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the age where everyone agrees football is eating itself financially, how is an owner that was trying to run a club sustainably come under so much scrutiny? The Newcastle fans are livid Ashley wasn't losing money hand over fist? By the same logic, does that mean the Everton owners are doing a terrific job?

Because he made a lot of shit decisions, like appointing Kinnear as manager, sacking Hughton for no good reason, throwing out Jonas Gutierrez etc.

Mike Ashley was a shite owner and I understand they didnt like him, but that still doesn't make the Saudis any better.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It’s by no means the crime of the century but the club as being run a yo-yo club or bottom 5 EPL side. No investment in the future. No passion for the game. No growth plan. No hope.

Reducing it to ‘live Ashley wasn’t losing money’ is missing the point. Newcastle are naturally a top 10 side and the owner (who really is a grade a ****) had no ambition to realise this. No Newcastle fans seriously wanted an unsustainable club.

Yes - the Saudi thing is unpalatable but a lot of good football fans are now getting the football they deserve.

Meanwhile it’s useful to look at our own fans. The Potter Out Campaign was alive and kicking at the height of our most successful period ever in our history with our best manager all time manger at the helm. People like Lenny moaned and moaned just as much as Newcastle fans were moaning at Ashley and tried to use their influence to turn fans against Potter. We all have our share of entitled fans who have absolutely no perspective whatsoever.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It’s by no means the crime of the century but the club as being run a yo-yo club or bottom 5 EPL side. No investment in the future. No passion for the game. No growth plan. No hope.

Reducing it to ‘live Ashley wasn’t losing money’ is missing the point. Newcastle are naturally a top 10 side and the owner (who really is a grade a ****) had no ambition to realise this. No Newcastle fans seriously wanted an unsustainable club.

Yes - the Saudi thing is unpalatable but a lot of good football fans are now getting the football they deserve.

https://newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/average-league-position-in-last-50-yrs/

Average league position 14.98. Would suggest they are not naturally a top 10 club, and that being a bottom 5 premier club is in line with their average finishing position.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here