Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
One of my clients knows Staverley’s husband. She has more money than him, he was born in this country and is a fanatical Chelsea fan and moans he has to sit watching feckin Newcastle every week :lolol: It’s her that did the deal with Saudi money he has nothing do with it apparently.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
So, now you have got rid of Ashley, and you say that you didn't want the Saudis. Can I ask what you and fellow Newcastle fans are doing to try and get rid of the Saudis, as I assume you are wishing rid of them?

I think we have to be realistic here and accept that, at this time few have any appetite for ousting the Saudis. I get that it's easy to reduce it down to a binary choice, but it's not anything like that straightforward. There are protest groups, there are conversations between friends, but as a group, Newcastle fans are content with the way the new owners are running the club and that ,rightly or wrongly, is their chief concern. Not what's happening 5,000km away, but what's happening in the here and now.

I don't think we're alone in this either. Few fans of English clubs give a toss about what their owners are doing away from the club as long as it's going ok at the club, the same is true for us.

Put yourselves in our position. You hate your old owner, he accepts 1 bid and that's the Saudis, you could walk away, continue to support the club with the same passion as before, or land somewhere in between. What do Newcastle fans get for protesting the Saudis? An unlikely change of ownership could bring calamity to the club and it wouldn't change the way the Saudis act in their own country at all. At best, at best we get a fleeting moment of praise from other fan groups, which will soon turn to derision and scorn because that's how football works. It's not a tantalising prize.

It has been decided by those with power that PIF are acceptable owners of a football club. Sure there'll be fans insisting they'd 100% walk away if it ever happened to them, but that's bollocks for most of them. Other clubs have nefarious owners and aren't under anything like the same scrutiny or pressure that we are right now. The opprobrium will pass, or diminish. The self-righteousness of other fans will diminish. Nobody gives a toss about UAE's ownership of Man City now, aside from the financial leg up they got.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I think we have to be realistic here and accept that, at this time few have any appetite for ousting the Saudis. I get that it's easy to reduce it down to a binary choice, but it's not anything like that straightforward. There are protest groups, there are conversations between friends, but as a group, Newcastle fans are content with the way the new owners are running the club and that ,rightly or wrongly, is their chief concern. Not what's happening 5,000km away, but what's happening in the here and now.

I don't think we're alone in this either. Few fans of English clubs give a toss about what their owners are doing away from the club as long as it's going ok at the club, the same is true for us.

Put yourselves in our position. You hate your old owner, he accepts 1 bid and that's the Saudis, you could walk away, continue to support the club with the same passion as before, or land somewhere in between. What do Newcastle fans get for protesting the Saudis? An unlikely change of ownership could bring calamity to the club and it wouldn't change the way the Saudis act in their own country at all. At best, at best we get a fleeting moment of praise from other fan groups, which will soon turn to derision and scorn because that's how football works. It's not a tantalising prize.

It has been decided by those with power that PIF are acceptable owners of a football club. Sure there'll be fans insisting they'd 100% walk away if it ever happened to them, but that's bollocks for most of them. Other clubs have nefarious owners and aren't under anything like the same scrutiny or pressure that we are right now. The opprobrium will pass, or diminish. The self-righteousness of other fans will diminish. Nobody gives a toss about UAE's ownership of Man City now, aside from the financial leg up they got.

You keep trying to convince, mate.
I doubt if you're even fooling yourself
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lady_doth_protest_too_much,_methinks

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
They have only won once so far.
Against Forest [emoji269] [emoji23]

We've only lost once as well. We'll be fine. We've got ASM, Wilson, Isak and Bruno to return to full fitness. We're creating chances and defending well. Just need a bit of luck and for the officials not to be useless. We'd have got a point against Liverpool (maybe more) and all 3 points against Wolves and Palace.

VAR finally worked in our favour this weekend, but we were much the better side against Bournemouth who defended like lions, chiefly their 'keeper.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Put yourselves in our position. You hate your old owner,

I can certainly identify with that :thumbsup:

Ours sold our ground out from under us, sent us into exile, and tried to destroy our football club. I'm guessing Ashley must have done similar.

Luckily we now have an owner who will try and make us self funding, try his hardest to keep us in the Premier league and try to get us back there when we inevitably get relegated, but obviously couldn't compete financially with the top 6, so nothing like Ashley at all.

So I guess you're just like us and not entitled in any way ???

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
To help me with the role-playing, does my current owner have an atrocious human rights record?

No, he's just a bad owner who will be the death of your football club. the point I'm making is pretty straightforward. We had no say in who Ashley sold to, we have little say in who owns the club now, if we were to oust the owners it could cost us a lot and gain us nothing and the stink kicked up by other fans is hard to separate from your normal everyday partisan nonsense.

Gets to a point where it appears some people would rather occupy a position to score points rather than have a discussion.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I can certainly identify with that :thumbsup:

Ours sold our ground out from under us, sent us into exile, and tried to destroy our football club. I'm guessing Ashley must have done similar.

Luckily we now have an owner who will try and make us self funding, try his hardest to keep us in the Premier league and try to get us back there when we inevitably get relegated, but obviously couldn't compete financially with the top 6, so nothing like Ashley at all.

So I guess you're just like us and not entitled in any way ???

I've already spoken on the many failures of Ashley as an owner, and I've already spoken on the fact that everybody's battles are their own. Was Ashley as bad as your previous owners? No. Was he bad? Yes. If football fans were only allowed to complain about their players, manager, owner if they're the worst, then a) we'd all have **** all to talk about and b) only one fanbase would have that 'honour'.

A football fan is entitled to be displeased with the running of their club, whatever bar they set for it. The Man Utd fans can justifiably complain about their lot in life, so can Everton, or West Brom, Derby, Burnley or whomever. Newcastle fans just wanted what all fans want, for their club to strive to be the best version of itself it can be.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No, he's just a bad owner who will be the death of your football club.

REALLY.

Mike Ashley, was going to KILL your football club?

Ok.

If only this was on a message board with fans of a team whose owner really did try and kill the football club......

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've already spoken on the many failures of Ashley as an owner, and I've already spoken on the fact that everybody's battles are their own. Was Ashley as bad as your previous owners? No. Was he bad? Yes. If football fans were only allowed to complain about their players, manager, owner if they're the worst, then a) we'd all have **** all to talk about and b) only one fanbase would have that 'honour'.

A football fan is entitled to be displeased with the running of their club, whatever bar they set for it. The Man Utd fans can justifiably complain about their lot in life, so can Everton, or West Brom, Derby, Burnley or whomever. Newcastle fans just wanted what all fans want, for their club to strive to be the best version of itself it can be.

I think you have big club syndrome. United and Everton fans are justified in complaining? No club has a divine right to be good, you seem to think yours does. You were funded by Ashley to bounce back with a PL squad from the Championship and he spent a shitload on your players when you did get back. Maybe his manager choice was wrong maybe your player choices was wrong but you do not have any right to be a top club :shrug:

Ashley did not shit on Newcastle imo, you obviously have no idea what being shat on actually means.

May be just me but you are coming across as very entitled and you have sold your soul to the devil to get what you want and for that reason you can just shrug it off.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
REALLY.

Mike Ashley, was going to KILL your football club?

Ok.

If only this was on a message board with fans of a team whose owner really did try and kill the football club......

10,000 walked away. We were only going one way. Just because your owner was worse, doesn't mean ours wasn't bad.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No, he's just a bad owner who will be the death of your football club. the point I'm making is pretty straightforward. We had no say in who Ashley sold to, we have little say in who owns the club now, if we were to oust the owners it could cost us a lot and gain us nothing and the stink kicked up by other fans is hard to separate from your normal everyday partisan nonsense.

Gets to a point where it appears some people would rather occupy a position to score points rather than have a discussion.

A bit stupid of him to keep funding your promotions back to the Premier at the first attempt both times you got relegated then. Maybe over the 14 years he was playing the long game and hoping the club would 'die' of old age :lolol:

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I think you have big club syndrome. United and Everton fans are justified in complaining? No club has a divine right to be good, you seem to think yours does. You were funded by Ashley to bounce back with a PL squad from the Championship and he spent a shitload on your players when you did get back. Maybe his manager choice was wrong maybe your player choices was wrong but you do not have any right to be a top club :shrug:

Ashley did not shit on Newcastle imo, you obviously have no idea what being shat on actually means.

May be just me but you are coming across as very entitled and you have sold your soul to the devil to get what you want and for that reason you can just shrug it off.

What? No, nobody has a divine right to be good, but every football fan has a right to want the best for their club, even if other clubs have it worse. This is not a 'big club' thing. Other people on here have bemoaned your previous ownership, how do you think Bury fans would feel about that? Doesn't mean your complaints weren't justified. Man Utd fans have watched their club regress from a colossus bestriding the football world, to a midtable punchline. 80 odd clubs would swap with them in a heartbeat, but they've every right to want a change of ownership. An ownership that puts the football ahead of the balance sheet.

Everton fans are well within their rights to complain about their ownership despite them pumping hundreds of millions into the playing staff and the new stadium, because they're running the football side of things badly.
And so on and so forth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here