Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
We're all jealous apparently

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...transfer-fees-bid-deny-Newcastle-success.html

View attachment 151472

And the obligatory brawl on twitter. with NUFC fans showing zero self awareness

[tweet]1565651623787077632[/tweet]

Makes total sense for other clubs to raise their prices for us. I don't have a problem with that. It's because of the perception that we're going to splash the cash, and/or because they don't want to strengthen a rival. That's why Leicester were demanding £60m for Maddison. Along a similar vein we couldn't get much joy in the loan market. We were after Broja from Chelsea, Ashby from West Ham, but neither wanted to do a deal.

Fair enough, says I. We've just been financially doped, we would be dumb to expect favours from other clubs.

(Oh and for what it's worth I've got no problem with us shithousing at Anfield. We were without ASM, Bruno and Wilson, we're nowhere near good enought o go man-for-man with Liverpool in their house. We should have killed the time when Joelinton had the ball at their corner flag, instead we concede a corner and don't manage the time well. Who knows, if Isak hadn't been a gnat's hair offside we could have gone on to draw or win the game)

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The thing is, some of us were protesting as it appeared that the authorities were obfuscating the reason for the delay in the takeover going through. They still haven't been honest about the reason for the delay. It wasn't about anything but broadcast piracy. It wasn't separation of PIF and KSA, it wasn't human rights violations, it wasn't conflict of interest. The only way this takeover is allowed is if the Saudis stop illegally pirating the BEIN broadcast. Less than a week after they resolved that issue with BEIN, the takeover went through. And we, the fans, had **** all to do with that.

If there had been multiple bids accepted and the Saudi one was the only one we supported, you'd have a point. But there weren't, so you don't. Had the Mexican Orleggi group, or Kenyon's group, or the Americans had a bid accepted a) we would have been just as in favour of those deal and b) they would have likely sailed through.

It's seems like semantics, but it's important. Newcastle fans were desperate for a takeover, not specifically this one. But this was the only one, so of course we were behind it.

When you found out what they repesented you should not of been behind it. You should have stuck with what you had, until someone without the human rights atrocities came along. Unfortunaltly you chose to sell your soul.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
When you found out what they repesented you should not of been behind it. You should have stuck with what you had, until someone without the human rights atrocities came along. Unfortunaltly you chose to sell your soul.

I'm not going to bother repeating myself. Just look back through my posts and you'll see my position has been made pretty clear.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not going to bother repeating myself. Just look back through my posts and you'll see my position has been made pretty clear.

You've literally just confirmed that you (you as in 'the Newcastle fanbase') supported a takeover by a regime that imprisons and murders dissenting voices, because Mike Ashley is a fat, smug Southerner who employs people on zero-hours contracts (who didn't buy ENOUGH £30-40m Brazilian internationals).

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I have read all the post, but there is no justification for it, as a fan base you sold your soul. If you can justify it to yourself then good for you, but there is not mutch I can say, as it is something I could never do.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
You've literally just confirmed that you (you as in 'the Newcastle fanbase') supported a takeover by a regime that imprisons and murders dissenting voices, because Mike Ashley is a fat, smug Southerner who employs people on zero-hours contracts (who didn't buy ENOUGH £30-40m Brazilian internationals).

Do you know the term "Logical Fallacy"?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I have read all the post, but there is no justification for it, as a fan base you sold your soul. If you can justify it to yourself then good for you, but there is not mutch I can say, as it is something I could never do.

Life isn't as binary as you make it out. I also would suggest that, were you in the same position, you may not be so absolute in your assertion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you know the term "Logical Fallacy"?

Yes. Your assertion that you only supported A takeover, rather than THIS takeover (when it was the only one on the table), probably qualifies.

There is no logic in your 'defence'. You absolutely welcomed these murderers into your club, simply because they were not Mike Ashley.

And yet, you didn't actually HAVE to support ANY takeover, until such time as a more suitable buyer was found. You, as a club, were in no existential danger - Ashley was guilty at worst, of disinterest or neglect.

At this stage, probably best to stop embarrassing yourself, and just give up the pretence, buy your Saudi third kit, and start planning your Champions League away trips.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
A few weeks ago there was a Newcastle fan at the cricket club I play at, who was telling us all that we shouldn't have any problem with the Saudis, because "that journalist" made his own decision to go to the Saudi consulate, should have known he would get into trouble writing that sort of thing, and basically got what was coming to him. Oh, and other countries get up to all sorts of bad things that nobody ever complains about, and nobody ever says anything about Man City's owners, yah-da-yah-da etc.

I didn't find his arguments very convincing. The other Newcastle fans waiting to bat all seemed to think he had lots of interesting points though.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Yes. Your assertion that you only supported A takeover, rather than THIS takeover (when it was the only one on the table), probably qualifies.

There is no logic in your 'defence'. You absolutely welcomed these murderers into your club, simply because they were not Mike Ashley.

And yet, you didn't actually HAVE to support ANY takeover, until such time as a more suitable buyer was found. You, as a club, were in no existential danger - Ashley was guilty at worst, of disinterest or neglect.

At this stage, probably best to stop embarrassing yourself, and just give up the pretence, buy your Saudi third kit, and start planning your Champions League away trips.

Sure thing mate. It appears you've zero interest in discussion and are far more interested in point-scoring. Well, you crack on, I guess.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
A few weeks ago there was a Newcastle fan at the cricket club I play at, who was telling us all that we shouldn't have any problem with the Saudis, because "that journalist" made his own decision to go to the Saudi consulate, should have known he would get into trouble writing that sort of thing, and basically got what was coming to him. Oh, and other countries get up to all sorts of bad things that nobody ever complains about, and nobody ever says anything about Man City's owners, yah-da-yah-da etc.

I didn't find his arguments very convincing. The other Newcastle fans waiting to bat all seemed to think he had lots of interesting points though.

I really like the one where, if you're opposed to Saudi owning a football club, you're not allowed to watch Disney anymore because they also invest there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sure thing mate. It appears you've zero interest in discussion and are far more interested in point-scoring. Well, you crack on, I guess.

What would you like to discuss?

Lets try a couple of discussion points, then:

1. What threat was there to Newcastle United's continued existence under the ownership of Mike Ashley, that necessitated an immediate change?

2. If you felt driven to support this takeover, simply because there was an absence of any bids from non-murdery types, is there ANY sole bidder who you would have felt was actually unacceptable? And if so, why?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Life isn't as binary as you make it out. I also would suggest that, were you in the same position, you may not be so absolute in your assertion.

I would 100% walk away from the Albion after 40 years if this happened amd until such day they were gone. I would be on every protest march or what ever was nessary to get rid of them. There is no way hell I would have let these people take over my club without a serious fight, even if a London chav, who paid minimum wages to his staff was in charge at the time. I was happy with Dick Knight when he bought Gary Hart for a £1000 and a set of tracksuites and I will support this club what ever division it finds itself in.

There is categorically no way that I would want these people near my club, so please don't not group me in with your low set of princables with an abilty to turn a blind eye as long as you sign some expensive players and win a triophey or two.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I would 100% walk away from the Albion after 40 years if this happened amd until such day they were gone. I would be on every protest march or what ever was nessary to get rid of them. There is no way hell I would have let these people take over my club without a serious fight, even if a London chav, who paid minimum wages to his staff was in charge at the time. I was happy with Dick Knight when he bought Gary Hart for a £1000 and a set of tracksuites and I will support this club what ever division it finds itself in.

There is categorically no way that I would want these people near my club, so please don't not group me in with your low set of princables with an abilty to turn a blind eye as long as you sign some expensive players and win a triophey or two.

Bravo! Thank you; my sentiments exactly (and the sentiments of any right-thinking, genuine football fan I would like to think)

:albion2:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Completely agree. You wouldn't see me for dust if we were bought by the Saudis.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
What would you like to discuss?

Lets try a couple of discussion points, then:

1. What threat was there to Newcastle United's continued existence under the ownership of Mike Ashley, that necessitated an immediate change?

2. If you felt driven to support this takeover, simply because there was an absence of any bids from non-murdery types, is there ANY sole bidder who you would have felt was actually unacceptable? And if so, why?

1. He had broken the connection between the club and it's fans. Under Ashley ten thousand supporters walked away, the club didn't exist as a sporting institution any more. It was merely a giant billboard for his sportswear brand. He cared only for our existence in the Premier League. Zero interest in growth, in ambition, in competition. He had allowed the academy, training ground and stadium to decay and become unfit for purpose. He treated legends, icons, managers, players, staff, fans with contempt. The club was dying. If he'd remained we would have been relegated again, and with no guarantee of promotion from the Championship it will have likely been a slow decline towards oblivion. Because of his poor football business sense we were in dire straits without the Premier League media money.

2. We need to be clear, I wasn't, am not and will not be in favour of this takeover. I supported a takeover because it was a takeover. I've made my feelings clear on the Saudis; they shouldn't own a football club. For a takeover to be possible, it would need to be able to pass the Premier League's O&D test. So, I guess I'd have been in favour of any takeover that would have passed that test, where the owner would be able to be capable custodians of the club.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I would say 100% the same thing. Success at ANY cost simply isn't worth it. There are bad owners and there are bad people. Newcastle shed one for the other

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

Fair play. I have some friends who have reluctantly walked away from their club because of the Saudi takeover and I've nothing but respect for them. If you genuinely believe you'd walk away, just like that, fair play. I know none of those friends found it so easy to just walk away from their club. It's not just the match, it's not meeting afterwards, it's no away days, it's all the stuff that is inexorably linked to matchday. Some don't mind as they don't live locally anyway, but I know of at least one who swore off it but has recently started going to away games again. Not because of Alexander Isak, but because he missed the matchday so much.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. He had broken the connection between the club and it's fans. Under Ashley ten thousand supporters walked away, the club didn't exist as a sporting institution any more. It was merely a giant billboard for his sportswear brand. He cared only for our existence in the Premier League. Zero interest in growth, in ambition, in competition. He had allowed the academy, training ground and stadium to decay and become unfit for purpose. He treated legends, icons, managers, players, staff, fans with contempt. The club was dying. If he'd remained we would have been relegated again, and with no guarantee of promotion from the Championship it will have likely been a slow decline towards oblivion. Because of his poor football business sense we were in dire straits without the Premier League media money.

2. We need to be clear, I wasn't, am not and will not be in favour of this takeover. I supported a takeover because it was a takeover. I've made my feelings clear on the Saudis; they shouldn't own a football club. For a takeover to be possible, it would need to be able to pass the Premier League's O&D test. So, I guess I'd have been in favour of any takeover that would have passed that test, where the owner would be able to be capable custodians of the club.

1. Nobody here is trying to argue that Mike Ashley was anybody's dream club custodian - but the picture you paint of an inevitable spiral into oblivion is not based on anything tangible at all -merely on your dislike of him. He owned the club for 14(?) years, and he's financed things to the extent that you were in the Premier League for all but two of those seasons - and in both cases of relegation, he kept most of the PL squad together and you got immediately promoted back up. To suggest he'd suddenly withdraw that level of backing, if you went down again, doesn't stack up at all.

The lack of investment in infrastructure is valid, but not close to being so pressing that it represented any risk, in waiting a bit longer if necessary for a different buyer. Not that Ashley cared who the buyer was - he gave zeros ****s about the club's integrity (that part is YOUR job).

2. We are crystal clear. You supported a takeover. There was at the time ONE takeover option, and you supported it. You supported THIS takeover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here