[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... šŸ˜Š

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The Guardian reports from Howe's press conference today:

"And after Newcastle were criticised for their perceived time-wasting antics at Liverpool, Howe isnā€™t going to be changing his tactics anytime soon.

"Weā€™re just trying to be very competitive, weā€™re trying to play our way. We donā€™t want to lie down and accept anything. We want to fight for every point, every tackle and do everything we can to win. If thatā€™s unpopular with people, then so be it, but weā€™ll continue to hopefully play in the way that we all see that we should. Weā€™ve got to fight for everything.ā€ "

Is that an announcement to referees that he has told his players to cheat? I'm sure that they won't be paying attention. A bit of power and 'Nice Guy' Eddie thinks that he's Jose Mourinho. He isn't very good at it.

He also said on the transfer window:

"Domestic clubs didnā€™t really want to be seen to be helping us. Weā€™ll have to take that. Thatā€™s part of where we are at the moment.ā€

Newcastle there, assuming that other clubs have a responsibility to be helping them. They may not be a top six side yet, but they are already showing the astounding levels of entitlement that it will take to fit in.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Howe hasnā€™t invented this. Loads do it.
It pisses me off and UEFA need to do something about it.
I was delighted that Liverpool scored when they did as it was instant Karma.
Refs should stamp this out but donā€™t. Kicking the ball away, preventing a quick free kick, feigning injury, keepers taking minutes over a goal kick; all these should result in a yellow.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
While Iā€™m at it Iā€™d make it for any injury then the player has to stay off the pitch for the same amount of time that he was being treated on the pitch, if caused by a foul then the fouling player also needs to stay off.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Refs should stamp this out but donā€™t. Kicking the ball away, preventing a quick free kick, feigning injury, keepers taking minutes over a goal kick; all these should result in a yellow.

The feigning injury, for me, is the most annoying. If a player is hurt, lying on the ground, then he is unfit to continue to play - he should be immediately carted off on a stretcher and then not be allowed back on the pitch for at least ten minutes (he will need time to fully recover) - if the team want they can make an immediate substitution with one of their 5 subs to make sure they are not playing with 10 men - but the injured player is off for good at that stage.

if caused by a foul then the fouling player also needs to stay off.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - injuries happen, it part of the game. If the tackle is bad then the ref gives a yellow card or sends him off.

boik

The feigning injury, for me, is the most annoying. If a player is hurt, lying on the ground, then he is unfit to continue to play - he should be immediately carted off on a stretcher and then not be allowed back on the pitch for at least ten minutes (he will need time to fully recover) - if the team want they can make an immediate substitution with one of their 5 subs to make sure they are not playing with 10 men - but the injured player is off for good at that stage.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - injuries happen, it part of the game. If the tackle is bad then the ref gives a yellow card or sends him off.

All of these proposals to counteract feigning injury seem to end up punishing any team who has a genuine injury. If a team has a player injured, why on earth should they be punished further? Can't reward a team that injures players - that's just absurd!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We're all jealous apparently

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...transfer-fees-bid-deny-Newcastle-success.html

boo hoo.PNG

And the obligatory brawl on twitter. with NUFC fans showing zero self awareness

[tweet]1565651623787077632[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ironically Liverpool scored after Newcastle had a chance to run the ball to the flag, but spurned the chance in order to seek a goal.

I agree with your final sentence. Why is it in football that when a player commits an offense the referee may give the player one or more additional chances to do the same thing before he gives a card, and then he ostentatiously indicates how he 'totted up' by brandishing fingers in the same way you might teach a 2 year old how to count.

I have seen players running to the ball to stop a quick free kick, the free kick taker kick the ball at the cheat, and then the ref simply has the kick retaken. No card. Madness.

I have read about the idea of changing the 90 min to a period of 60 min game time (discussed passim on NSC). This is fine but it does not stop players cheating to break up the flow of the game. So the refs really should clamp down on this.

I can also, at some point, see a free kick given if a team reaches X consecutive passes to a team mate in their own half. At X-1 they should have to kick the ball into the opposition's half. It would bugger us a bit, mind.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"And after Newcastle were criticised for their perceived time-wasting antics at Liverpool, Howe isnā€™t going to be changing his tactics anytime soon.

"Weā€™re just trying to be very competitive, weā€™re trying to play our way. We donā€™t want to lie down and accept anything. We want to fight for every point, every tackle and do everything we can to win. If thatā€™s unpopular with people, then so be it, but weā€™ll continue to hopefully play in the way that we all see that we should. Weā€™ve got to fight for everything.ā€ "

Ironically, Eddie, that is exactly what your players WERE doing - every 30 seconds, from the 89th minute onwards.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We're all jealous apparently

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...transfer-fees-bid-deny-Newcastle-success.html

View attachment 151472

And the obligatory brawl on twitter. with NUFC fans showing zero self awareness

[tweet]1565651623787077632[/tweet]

yes, they probably are inflating prices. just as every other club does with a team that has money, like selling Carroll to Liverpool for Ā£35m. its part of the game, get better at lining up options or pay more and get used to it.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Howe just needs to get over it, its the way the footballing world works now. Other clubs know the ridiculous amount of money Newcastle has behind them, so who can blame them for getting as much as possible, even if they may be overrating their own players?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Quell Surprise!!!! Howeā€™s teams have always been physical bordering on aggressive and have used any means at their disposal to get points. Itā€™s what he calls being competitive whereas in fact itā€™s just ugly defensive football aimed at stopping other teams from playing all over the pitch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quell Surprise!!!! Howeā€™s teams have always been physical bordering on aggressive and have used any means at their disposal to get points. Itā€™s what he calls being competitive whereas in fact itā€™s just ugly defensive football aimed at stopping other teams from playing all over the pitch.

To be fair though it isn't so very different to the approach Micky Adams instilled in his players upon our return to the city at the start of our Withdean years. None of that team were shrinking violets. As he famously said, if you take on one of my players then you take on us all.

I never had a problem with it then, and l don't have a problem with it today. If it's within the rules of the game and it wins you football matches then why not?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My God, the state of that Twitter thread :lolol:

Funny that the Newcastle fans are plotting revenge by inflating the price of their players that other teams want. In this window, they have given away Gayle and Fernandez on frees and loaned some out to get wages off the books. That's it.

Their transfer income this summer was Ā£0.
Last winter 2021/22, their transfer income was Ā£0.
In summer 2021/22 their transfer income was Ā£0.
In winter 2020/21thier transfer income was Ā£0.
In Summer 2020/21 they did sell a player to Rotherham for Ā£248K.
In winter 2019/20 (There was that incident with the pigeon I mentioned earlier)* their transfer income was Ā£0
In Summer 2019/20 they charged Leicester 30 million quid for Ayoze Perez! (And still they wonder why they didn't get a cut price deal for James Maddison).

Poor Rotherham must be regretting the actions of those selfish EPL teams who wouldn't helping out Newcastle. They might have to pay Ā£260k for the next Newcastle player chucked their way.

* - (Realised I was starting to sound like Coogan's pool supervisor in the classic Day Today sketch: "In 1984 no-one died".)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I was quite jealous of the way Bournemouth played when we first went up to the PL, didn't think of them as dirty, more about attacking at the expense of defending :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Funny that the Newcastle fans are plotting revenge by inflating the price of their players that other teams want. In this window, they have given away Gayle and Fernandez on frees and loaned some out to get wages off the books. That's it.

Their transfer income this summer was Ā£0.
Last winter 2021/22, their transfer income was Ā£0.
In summer 2021/22 their transfer income was Ā£0.
In winter 2020/21thier transfer income was Ā£0.
In Summer 2020/21 they did sell a player to Rotherham for Ā£248K.
In winter 2019/20 (There was that incident with the pigeon I mentioned earlier)* their transfer income was Ā£0
In Summer 2019/20 they charged Leicester 30 million quid for Ayoze Perez! (And still they wonder why they didn't get a cut price deal for James Maddison).

Poor Rotherham must be regretting the actions of those selfish EPL teams who wouldn't helping out Newcastle. They might have to pay Ā£260k for the next Newcastle player chucked their way.

* - (Realised I was starting to sound like Coogan's pool supervisor in the classic Day Today sketch: "In 1984 no-one died".)

One of only 9 clubs to spend over Ā£100 million this window and the 5th highest net spend.

Still, plucky little Newcastle eh, doing it the right way on Smeddie's coaching.....

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
A smattering of boos at FT yesterday at Medieval Oil Utd. No worse than the few idiots at the Amex after our 0-0 last season, however I donā€™t see the media over the top reporting on it yetā€¦.. Watch your back though Eddieā€¦ā€¦.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Well, quite.

[MENTION=35039]The Fish[/MENTION] has made some reasonable points, and I do genuinely feel sorry for any decent, principled Newcastle fans - and I'm sure there are a great many.

But as you say, his argument that you should only blame the authorities, and not the helpless fans, holds zero water, when in fact Newcastle fans actively demonstrated and complained AGAINST attempts by the authorities to block the takeover.

And Fishy - please don't embarrass yourself by repeating the assertion that your fans' complaints were ONLY about the 'transparency', etc. The bottom line, however you try to frame it, is that Newcastle fans DID WANT this takeover to go through.

The thing is, some of us were protesting as it appeared that the authorities were obfuscating the reason for the delay in the takeover going through. They still haven't been honest about the reason for the delay. It wasn't about anything but broadcast piracy. It wasn't separation of PIF and KSA, it wasn't human rights violations, it wasn't conflict of interest. The only way this takeover is allowed is if the Saudis stop illegally pirating the BEIN broadcast. Less than a week after they resolved that issue with BEIN, the takeover went through. And we, the fans, had **** all to do with that.

If there had been multiple bids accepted and the Saudi one was the only one we supported, you'd have a point. But there weren't, so you don't. Had the Mexican Orleggi group, or Kenyon's group, or the Americans had a bid accepted a) we would have been just as in favour of those deal and b) they would have likely sailed through.

It's seems like semantics, but it's important. Newcastle fans were desperate for a takeover, not specifically this one. But this was the only one, so of course we were behind it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports