Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1562111650869698561[/tweet]

EDIT: I don't know if it's just my computer, but the link in the tweet just takes me to the home page.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
And what would walking away from the club look like? Not going to the match? Not looking up the results? Not caring? The first one is achievable for many, but how do you stop caring about your football club?

It would look like FC United.

Those fans walked away from their club and their passion saw a better club begin.

Remember you're talking to fans of a club who fought tooth and nail to get rid of owners who wanted to destroy the club.

Your fans whinged and whined about Ashley when he wasn't in the same hemisphere as Archer and Bellotti when it came to people in charge of a club.

Fans of clubs who truly struggled would have given anything to have an owner like Ashely who spent decent sums of money on players.

From a distance your fan base seemed entitled and cut off from reality the way you cried poor us Mike Ashley is our owner.

Now to see your fan base giddy and so supportive of these trash owners there's no respect at all to be given to your fan bases overall attitude to these people

Last edited:

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
It would look like FC United.

Those fans walked away from their club and their passion saw a better club begin.

Remember you're talking to fans of a club who fought tooth and nail to get rid of owners who wanted to destroy the club.

Your fans whinged and whined about Ashley when he wasn't in the same hemisphere as Archer and Bellotti when it came to people in charge of a club.

Fans of clubs who truly struggled would have given anything to have an owner like Ashely who spent decent sums of money on players.

From a distance your fan base seemed entitled and cut off from reality the way you cried poor us Mike Ashley is our owner.

Now to see your fan base giddy and so supportive of these trash owners there's no respect at all to be given to your fan bases overall attitude to these people

And yet the Glazers still own Manchester United, they still run the club the way they want to, and FCUM still only play in the Northern Premier League, pulling gates of under 2k. So walking away; wouldn't change ownership, wouldn't change the owners approach, would hugely diminish the standard of football and the crowds that watch.

I think you're conflating the fans being happy with how the players are performing under this manager, with being 'giddy and supportive' of the owners. They're not as hand in hand as you make out.

We say he was a bad owner, ex-players and managers said he was bad, journalists and pundits said it, even Mike Ashley said it. Were there worse owners, for sure. Was Ashley worse than the Glazers, I'd say so. Yet, Man Utd fans are right to protest the way their club is mismanaged. Were Archer and Bellotti worse than Ashley or the Glazers, definitely.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
And yet the Glazers still own Manchester United, they still run the club the way they want to, and FCUM still only play in the Northern Premier League, pulling gates of under 2k. So walking away; wouldn't change ownership, wouldn't change the owners approach, would hugely diminish the standard of football and the crowds that watch.

I think you're conflating the fans being happy with how the players are performing under this manager, with being 'giddy and supportive' of the owners. They're not as hand in hand as you make out.

We say he was a bad owner, ex-players and managers said he was bad, journalists and pundits said it, even Mike Ashley said it. Were there worse owners, for sure. Was Ashley worse than the Glazers, I'd say so. Yet, Man Utd fans are right to protest the way their club is mismanaged. Were Archer and Bellotti worse than Ashley or the Glazers, definitely.

Fair play to you for arguing your case but a lot of your points sound weak to me. You want a top 4 PL football team over everything else and are willing to back ownership by a murderous regime to get it. I take your point that the authorities should have prevented the takeover but you are somewhat rewriting history given the outrage expressed by many of your fans when it was delayed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-10-Downing-Street-failed-Saudi-takeover.html

You also can’t past the buck over morals. You are a prop for the Saudis. By filling seats for the cameras you are a willing part of it. You know this but don’t care. I would suggest away fans boycotting your ground but nobody would notice given they are about three miles in the air.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Fair play to you for arguing your case but a lot of your points sound weak to me. You want a top 4 PL football team over everything else and are willing to back ownership by a murderous regime to get it. I take your point that the authorities should have prevented the takeover but you are somewhat rewriting history given the outrage expressed by many of your fans when it was delayed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...-10-Downing-Street-failed-Saudi-takeover.html

You also can’t past the buck over morals. You are a prop for the Saudis. By filling seats for the cameras you are a willing part of it. You know this but don’t care. I would suggest away fans boycotting your ground but nobody would notice given they are about three miles in the air.

It's not that I want a top 4 club over everything, it's that, for 14 years I saw my club dissolve into a shadow of it's former self. I mean, away from the performances on the pitch. There was no fan/club relationship by the end. Thousands had walked away.

re: the outrage it's fair to say we desperately wanted a takeover to happen and the consensus was that the PL wasn't being transparent with the reasons for the delay. We were proven right as well, it wasn't separation between PIF and the Saudi state, it wasn't anything to do with the atrocities Saudi Arabia has committed. It was purely the state sanctioned pirating of BEin's broadcast. The minute that was ended, the takeover went through. I say again, if the Mexican group or some random American billionaire wanted to buy us we'd have been as vociferous in our insistence that it went through.

We are being used to sportswash that nation's reputation and it's absolutely right that this is referenced every time. I don't think it's right to focus the ire on the fans though. Especially when the same standards haven't been expected of other fanbases.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's not that I want a top 4 club over everything, it's that, for 14 years I saw my club dissolve into a shadow of it's former self. I mean, away from the performances on the pitch. There was no fan/club relationship by the end. Thousands had walked away.

re: the outrage it's fair to say we desperately wanted a takeover to happen and the consensus was that the PL wasn't being transparent with the reasons for the delay. We were proven right as well, it wasn't separation between PIF and the Saudi state, it wasn't anything to do with the atrocities Saudi Arabia has committed. It was purely the state sanctioned pirating of BEin's broadcast. The minute that was ended, the takeover went through. I say again, if the Mexican group or some random American billionaire wanted to buy us we'd have been as vociferous in our insistence that it went through.

We are being used to sportswash that nation's reputation and it's absolutely right that this is referenced every time. I don't think it's right to focus the ire on the fans though. Especially when the same standards haven't been expected of other fanbases.

I know. It doesn’t get you a fan/club relationship though. Just a place in the top 4. I would take what we have every time. I would also take our previous owner Dick Knight and our place in Divisions 3 and 4 every time.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Newcastle are the new Millwall, no one likes us we don't care. But Millwall were actually a decent community club despite their fan troubles. Newcastle have sided with the devil and there's no getting away from that, however you dress it up. The only possible acceptable excuse with siding with SA is in times of war, which is another debate. This is just about football.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I know. It doesn’t get you a fan/club relationship though. Just a place in the top 4. I would take what we have every time. I would also take our previous owner Dick Knight and our place in Divisions 3 and 4 every time.

This ^^^^^

I supported the club through all the war years and withdean years, the only time I would walk away would be if owners like Newcastle or City took over and used our club for sportswashing. I would be joining every protest against this happening.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

But you would be supporting a club that doesn't have immoral owners, that you could be proud of.

I bet if you speak to any FCUM fans, they have just as good experience at the football each week as you do.

I get that it's not easy to drop support from a club that you've been following your entire life, but equally, with owners like that, they're not your club anymore. Well that's how FCUM fans would feel anyway, and how many on here would feel if it was Brighton in the same position.

If you feel completely helpless to change the current club and can't see it happening then surely the only other option is to collectively set up a new club and switch allegiance to them.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Fair play for sticking around and putting your point across. But the essence of everything you're saying is just "I look past it because I like Newcastle".

I think you should all have higher standards and stand up for what you've actually been fighting for with Ashley all those years. Getting your club back. I think in time you'll see that. As more news comes out of KSA it will get harder and harder to defend and protests will never ever come so long as you have success on the pitch. Which you will because of the amount of money you have at your disposal.

The time for protest has long gone and their sports washing has and will be a success.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But you would be supporting a club that doesn't have immoral owners, that you could be proud of.

I bet if you speak to any FCUM fans, they have just as good experience at the football each week as you do.

I get that it's not easy to drop support from a club that you've been following your entire life, but equally, with owners like that, they're not your club anymore. Well that's how FCUM fans would feel anyway, and how many on here would feel if it was Brighton in the same position.

If you feel completely helpless to change the current club and can't see it happening then surely the only other option is to collectively set up a new club and switch allegiance to them.

Sunderland are near by, just go and support them.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Fair play for sticking around and putting your point across. But the essence of everything you're saying is just "I look past it because I like Newcastle".

I think you should all have higher standards and stand up for what you've actually been fighting for with Ashley all those years. Getting your club back. I think in time you'll see that. As more news comes out of KSA it will get harder and harder to defend and protests will never ever come so long as you have success on the pitch. Which you will because of the amount of money you have at your disposal.

The time for protest has long gone and their sports washing has and will be a success.

They didn't really protest Ashley either. A few half-hearted walk outs seemed to be all they could manage.

Now Blackpool, that's a club that knows how to protest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take your point that the authorities should have prevented the takeover but you are somewhat rewriting history given the outrage expressed by many of your fans when it was delayed.

Well, quite.
[MENTION=35039]The Fish[/MENTION] has made some reasonable points, and I do genuinely feel sorry for any decent, principled Newcastle fans - and I'm sure there are a great many.

But as you say, his argument that you should only blame the authorities, and not the helpless fans, holds zero water, when in fact Newcastle fans actively demonstrated and complained AGAINST attempts by the authorities to block the takeover.

And Fishy - please don't embarrass yourself by repeating the assertion that your fans' complaints were ONLY about the 'transparency', etc. The bottom line, however you try to frame it, is that Newcastle fans DID WANT this takeover to go through.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Who would have to take over Newcastle United for Newcastle United fans to say enough is enough and walk away from the club? Putin, Hibatullah Akhundzada, Xi Jinping, Isaias Afwerki, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow or maybe Kim Jong-un. I presume there is some line and I am interested where it is because it seems it is beyond Mohammad bin Salman. Or maybe there is no line and irrespective of the associated crimes of the owners, Newcastle fans would still turn up week after week at St James' Park.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Who would have to take over Newcastle United for Newcastle United fans to say enough is enough and walk away from the club? Putin, Hibatullah Akhundzada, Xi Jinping, Isaias Afwerki, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow or maybe Kim Jong-un. I presume there is some line and I am interested where it is because it seems it is beyond Mohammad bin Salman. Or maybe there is no line and irrespective of the associated crimes of the owners, Newcastle fans would still turn up week after week at St James' Park.

Mike Ashley (owner of a leisurewear company and not a known murderer of anyone) apparently. He is just a fiend they say.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Anyone doubting Brighton fans saying they would walk away if something similar happened here clearly don't understand Brighton fans. I can categorically guarantee that had this happened here you would see protests and action on a different level and scale, the likes of which would embarass the pitiful and pathetic responses by the overwhelming majority of Geordies. This is Brighton, we know how to protest and we also possess a far superior collective moral compass. I would have no qualms walking away from the club despite over 45yrs of supporting them until such time as the ownership of the club wasno longer in the bloodied hands of a bunch of oppressive murderers. Its what separates clubs like Newcastle, Man City etc and the Albion

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Mike Ashley (owner of a leisurewear company and not a known murderer of anyone) apparently. He is just a fiend they say.

Good point and that concludes the argument doesn't it? Mike Ashley was a line of sorts for many, but that line moved significantly when individuals with less morals took over but with significantly more money to spend.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What’s equally depressing is the national sports media, Lineker et al, eulogising on the mouthwatering prospect etc. of NUFC going forward. Obviously you wouldn’t expect any different as there are too many vested interests at stake. I’m guessing the Newcastle Chronicle also toes the line, for fear of being denied access to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here