[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Has the club not walked away from you, and you’re walking hand-in-hand with it?

At some point you have to say no, maybe if they stop putting money in?

The relationship between the players, the staff, and the fans is what the club is. Right now, that relationship is better than it's been in decades.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The relationship between the players, the staff, and the fans is what the club is. Right now, that relationship is better than it's been in decades.

For sure that's what one part of the club is.

But how simplistic to think that's all of it. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and that's down to individual conscience. If one took your premise to it's limit, it wouldn't be a problem for Putin, the north Korean guy, Hitler or Stalin to be owners and pumping money in. After all, the club is the relationship between the players, staff and fans and if that's good, everything else can be swept under the carpet.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We protested, walked out, engaged in media campaigns and all that. Did that for over a decade and Ashley wasn't going anywhere.

Yeah, it's complicated. Where do we draw the line? boycott our own club? should opposition fans boycott St James'? Do we protest the Premier League and FA for allowing the takeover? I'm not being evasive, I'm just trying to say to get real, change, you'd need a uniform concerted effort from tens of thousands of individuals. And I don't think that's realistic.

That's the thing, I'm not ok with it. But feel powerless to change it. Are we in a circle of trust? Yeah? Seeing Newcastle ambitious, seeing them professional for the first time in nearly two decades, it makes walking away even harder.

For what it's worth I think the United with Pride statement after the takeover was disappointingly meek and I'd hope to see something a little more brave in future. But I don't think it's really my place to tell a minority how best to get their message out.

I'm with you mate. I'm born a Brighton fan and if I had to give up supporting my team for a decade of ownership under PIF, it would be a mighty tricky decision. Abhorrent as they are, you support your team, not the owners. If I stopped supporting Albion because let's say, it was against my religious beliefs to gamble and Tony Bloom plays poker, I'd likely not watch my team again.Yes, I know you can't conflate playing cards with a murderous regime, but to give up supporting the Albion would be a step too far. I'd have to go for some other form of protest. In your case, they've ruined golf and will unbalance the Premier League. Tricky one.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Yeah, it's complicated. Where do we draw the line? boycott our own club? should opposition fans boycott St James'? Do we protest the Premier League and FA for allowing the takeover? I'm not being evasive, I'm just trying to say to get real change, you'd need a uniform concerted effort from tens of thousands of individuals. And I don't think that's realistic.

Yes. All of those things. That’s what the situation demands. It certainly wouldn’t be easy but there’s sufficient solidarity among us “legacy” supporters to make it possible. Realistic even.

During our war years we tried variations on the suggestions you make (I don’t recall our asking opposition fans to boycott us but I could well be wrong). We turned the heat up on the FA to the point where they had to be seen to get involved. And we did all of this from 92nd in the league, with a fraction of our current fan base and little initial media interest. Newcastle supporters probably hold more cards than you imagine. There’s a lot of you for a start and you’re widely feted for the passion you display for your club. You play in the most watched league in the world. All the ingredients are there to really shine a spotlight on this disgrace. Respectfully, you’ve just got to be bolder.

And if that happened to Brighton, I’d protest like fury, not see matches, not pay them a single penny and keep on protesting until they were gone. I’d be watching Lewes, all the while longing for the day when I could return to the untainted team of my youth.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

But if they put all the money in from the murderous regimes for you to win some trophey or another you'll have to to prened it is not related so you can enjoy it. It would be like us saying Tony Bloom has no impact on where we are today.

It's is delusional

You seem a decent person and I believe this is difficult for you, but the images that have been shown is that the majority of Newcastle fans have sold their soul for success.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

It's convenient that the owners of the club aren't anything to do with what the club is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
But if they put all the money in from the murderous regimes for you to win some trophey or another you'll have to to prened it is not related so you can enjoy it. It would be like us saying Tony Bloom has no impact on where we are today.

It's is delusional

You seem a decent person and I believe this is difficult for you, but the images that have been shown is that the majority of Newcastle fans have sold their soul for success.

I think that's an over-simplistic narrative.

Like it or not the Saudis are everywhere now. They've formed an unholy relationship with Trump to try and take over golf. It doesn't really effect me as I can't think of anything duller than watching a badly dressed man walk round some grass carrying a stick. But you now have the Saudi Grand Prix as well. I'm an F1 fan and I'll admit I watched it. Other despotic regime Grand Prixs are, or were, available. I'm a boxing fan. I'll likely watch AJ v Usyk tomorrow, though on a stream rather than PPV if I can, but I'm still involved and still supporting AJ.

And most on here will watch the World Cup. Despite the howls of protest on here when Qatar got it, despite the complaints about this season's structure and about Southgate you watch Crodo start an "Official World Cup 22" thread with a trademark :clap: . All the usual stuff about Qatar will be up there initially as the fish are drawn into the net but that thread will grow like Topsy if England start doing well and people realise the only alternative is to watch the egg chasing. If we get to the final every man jack in the country, including NSC, will be glued to the telly and the cocaine importers will be on double shifts.

Newcastle fans didn't strictly ask for the Saudis. They wanted Mike Ashley out, and so would I want him out if he'd been involved with Brighton. He might not chop off heads and hands but he's a thoroughly unpleasant man.

But that small but noisy section of Newcastle fans who dressed up as comedy Arabs to celebrate? They can do one.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Like it or not the Saudis are everywhere now. They've formed an unholy relationship with Trump to try and take over golf. It doesn't really effect me as I can't think of anything duller than watching a badly dressed man walk round some grass carrying a stick. But you now have the Saudi Grand Prix as well. I'm an F1 fan and I'll admit I watched it. Other despotic regime Grand Prixs are, or were, available. I'm a boxing fan. I'll likely watch AJ v Usyk tomorrow, though on a stream rather than PPV if I can, but I'm still involved and still supporting AJ.

And most on here will watch the World Cup. Despite the howls of protest on here when Qatar got it, despite the complaints about this season's structure and about Southgate you watch Crodo start an "Official World Cup 22" thread with a trademark :clap: . All the usual stuff about Qatar will be up there initially as the fish are drawn into the net but that thread will grow like Topsy if England start doing well and people realise the only alternative is to watch the egg chasing. If we get to the final every man jack in the country, including NSC, will be glued to the telly and the cocaine importers will be on double shifts.

Newcastle fans didn't strictly ask for the Saudis. They wanted Mike Ashley out, and so would I want him out if he'd been involved with Brighton. He might not chop off heads and hands but he's a thoroughly unpleasant man.

But that small but noisy section of Newcastle fans who dressed up as comedy Arabs to celebrate? They can do one.

Yep I am sure some people will conviently forget if things go well in the world cup for England. I have no interest in watching it and I don't like F1 or Golf. World Super Bikes, now that is worth watching

I am talking about the football club that you feel you have a connection too and represents you, people know me as a person and as a Brighton fan. I would be ashamed to support what was going on a Newcastle in even the slightest way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yep I am sure some people will conviently forget if things go well in the world cup for England. I have no interest in watching it and I don't like F1 or Golf. World Super Bikes, now that is worth watching

I am talking about the football club that you feel you have a connection too and represents you, people know me as a person and as a Brighton fan. I would be ashamed to support what was going on a Newcastle in even the slightest way.

Well anyone who was at the Amex on Saturday has supported it or at least legitimised it.

Lots of teams have terrible, terrible owners. You need a huge amount of money to buy a professional sports team these days. The sort of nation state that needs its tummy tickling isn't going to be a liberal democracy and many individual billionaires have very shady connections indeed. Abramovich for one and the chap at Bournemouth who might not even be an actual billionaire. We are very, very lucky to have Tony but that doesn't mean we can sit in an ivory tower. In a sliding doors parallel universe it could be us who is owned by Qatar or wherever.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Well anyone who was at the Amex on Saturday has supported it or at least legitimised it.

Lots of teams have terrible, terrible owners. You need a huge amount of money to buy a professional sports team these days. The sort of nation state that needs its tummy tickling isn't going to be a liberal democracy and many individual billionaires have very shady connections indeed. Abramovich for one and the chap at Bournemouth who might not even be an actual billionaire. We are very, very lucky to have Tony but that doesn't mean we can sit in an ivory tower. In a sliding doors parallel universe it could be us who is owned by Qatar or wherever.

Then I would not have been at the Amex. It is not up to other fans unless Newcastle fans ask for it to bouycot our own team when we are playing them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're all totally wasting bandwidth (granted I don't know what that means)

Newcastle fans did less than the bare minimum to oust 'the most hated man in Geordieland'.

Walking from Sports Direct to the Stadium.
In replica shirts.
Paying to get in.
Having a pie and a pint at halftime.
Then grizzling as they leave.

Is not and never will be A PROTEST.

If they actually wanted him gone they could have done it in 6 months with a unified stadium ban.

But they didn't and if any of you think you can reason with them now they're minted - dream on.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
We protested, walked out, engaged in media campaigns and all that. Did that for over a decade and Ashley wasn't going anywhere.

Yeah, it's complicated. Where do we draw the line? boycott our own club? should opposition fans boycott St James'? Do we protest the Premier League and FA for allowing the takeover? I'm not being evasive, I'm just trying to say to get real, change, you'd need a uniform concerted effort from tens of thousands of individuals. And I don't think that's realistic.

That's the thing, I'm not ok with it. But feel powerless to change it. Are we in a circle of trust? Yeah? Seeing Newcastle ambitious, seeing them professional for the first time in nearly two decades, it makes walking away even harder.

For what it's worth I think the United with Pride statement after the takeover was disappointingly meek and I'd hope to see something a little more brave in future. But I don't think it's really my place to tell a minority how best to get their message out.

The situation is very grim.
I think that regrettably, you and your fellow Geordies MUST walk away from the club that has sold out its soul.
Newcastle United is NOT your club anymore. You must let that sink in, and fight in every way possible to drive them out.
If nobody bought tickets or turned up, I don’t think they would hang around long.
It may take a few years, but would be worth it long term.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

That was a fairly half-hearted attempt at protest. There were simply too many people still willing to spend money at the club for him to give a shit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I agree with all of this.

You have to pick your fights and draw your lines.

And a Saudi takeover, by their government, would be well beyond my red line for any of my sporting interests.

I can take or leave Grand Prix. But I have an emotional and financial involvement with the clubs I follow. It's another level.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Saudi regime is awful.
I'm not walking away from my club. I was here before them, I'll be here long after they're gone.

I can see that it may seem a straightforward choice from the outside, but honestly me and my mates have had long tortuous conversations about it. Some have indeed walked away, albeit reluctantly. Others double down and perform the kind of mental gymnastics you're talking about, whataboutery and all that. Me? I'm divided, I think the way the Saudis run their country is abhorrent, I don't think Saudis should own a football club. I don't think any state should own a football club. But, that's a conversation to have with; FIFA, UEFA, FA, Premier League, UK Government, and it doesn't fall on the powerless fans. And I'm not walking away from my club.

We all make our own decisions and draw our own lines. I’d have to walk away because every story that comes out about murder, beheadings, life sentences, religious nuttery, for me would be death by a thousand cuts and no amount of goals from Mbappe or whoever wears the famous stripes would make up for that. Good luck to you my friend. I’m just glad it’s not a decision we have had to make.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
We all make our own decisions and draw our own lines. I’d have to walk away because every story that comes out about murder, beheadings, life sentences, religious nuttery, for me would be death by a thousand cuts and no amount of goals from Mbappe or whoever wears the famous stripes would make up for that. Good luck to you my friend. I’m just glad it’s not a decision we have had to make.
It all needs spelling out sometimes.
Absolutely & utterly ****ing shameful, isn't it?
So much bigger than football & pitiful little excuses

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Think we need to look at the larger picture. There is new cold war starting Russia & China versus USA & Europe one of the sub plots is Saudi Arabia against Iran with Saudi being in our team. Terrible regime yes , worse than Iran difficult to say the latter does not chop heads off they hang people from cranes. In an ideal world we might be able to be more fussy but don't think that time is now.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
EFF8FFF0-7CD2-4B80-88F5-050E192FE9E9.jpeg

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...blood-money-the-new-normal-for-newcastle-fans

I’m genuinely shocked that this kind of protest has just evaporated rather than gained any form of traction.

Considering the ongoing level of outrage seen on most fans forums, I find this odd.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Think we need to look at the larger picture. There is new cold war starting Russia & China versus USA & Europe one of the sub plots is Saudi Arabia against Iran with Saudi being in our team. Terrible regime yes , worse than Iran difficult to say the latter does not chop heads off they hang people from cranes. In an ideal world we might be able to be more fussy but don't think that time is now.

Not sure we need them buying our football clubs though, do we? Or is that part of the deal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports