Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Two Saudi women (sisters), who moved to Australia to flee persecution in their own country on the basis of their sexuality, have been found dead in their apartment - the police don't know how they died and their family did not travel to Australia to claim their bodies delegating the authority to do that to the Saudi consulate in Sydney. They had been dead for a month when found. Interesting.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Yeh, relegations are sad for a few weeks, but losing the soul of your club? I can't imagine anything worse. Hence the cognitive gymnastics Newcastle fans performing to justify why they aren't so bad

Saudi regime is awful.
I'm not walking away from my club. I was here before them, I'll be here long after they're gone.

I can see that it may seem a straightforward choice from the outside, but honestly me and my mates have had long tortuous conversations about it. Some have indeed walked away, albeit reluctantly. Others double down and perform the kind of mental gymnastics you're talking about, whataboutery and all that. Me? I'm divided, I think the way the Saudis run their country is abhorrent, I don't think Saudis should own a football club. I don't think any state should own a football club. But, that's a conversation to have with; FIFA, UEFA, FA, Premier League, UK Government, and it doesn't fall on the powerless fans. And I'm not walking away from my club.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Saudi regime is awful.
I'm not walking away from my club. I was here before them, I'll be here long after they're gone.

I can see that it may seem a straightforward choice from the outside, but honestly me and my mates have had long tortuous conversations about it. Some have indeed walked away, albeit reluctantly. Others double down and perform the kind of mental gymnastics you're talking about, whataboutery and all that. Me? I'm divided, I think the way the Saudis run their country is abhorrent, I don't think Saudis should own a football club. I don't think any state should own a football club. But, that's a conversation to have with; FIFA, UEFA, FA, Premier League, UK Government, and it doesn't fall on the powerless fans. And I'm not walking away from my club.

It's not your club anymore, it's theirs and they are using you to clean up their international image. It seems like their efforts are succeeding so far.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Saudi regime is awful.

Fans are not powerless. If there was enough of a protest, they would leave. You've welcomed them with open arms however.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Saudi regime is awful.

I have a lot of sympathy for you, someone who is appalled by the S. Arabian sportswashing going on at your club. However, can't you and other like minded people raise the issue at matches or form protest groups? I would definitely be a Brighton supporter still if it were our club involved, but I would not go to matches whilst an owner like that held control of my club. At the least I would want to be involved in trying to remove them. Instead of this kind of stance, at least from the outside, we see fans like my mate who is a Geordie, saying things like 'Don't mix politics with sport'. That is an idiotic view as sport was inherently mixed up with politics once a regime like that took hold of your wonderful club.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Saudi regime is awful.

I agree with the first statement but not the second. I’d hazard a guess they’ll be owning your club long after we’re all gone. I’m not sure what o would do in your position. I’d like to think I’d organise protests and only attend in order to do this. I would struggle to support my club of the owners were relaxed about killing people for being homosexual. I feel for you being conflicted but you & Man City are owned by totalitarian, repressive, murderous regimes. I don’t see how anyone can be ok with that.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Saudi regime is awful.

I understand not walking away from your club. Personally I couldn't continue to support a team if owned by the Saudi's. But I can see that to walk away could also be seen as letting the money-men win. What I find diffcult to accept is the apparent lack of protest and, indeed, the open celebration. Including by the likes of Shearer. And the idea that somehow how you 'suffered' under previous ownership makes it OK to celebrate the arrival of Saudi billions. From the reaction on here, and in the stadium though, I can't put my hand on heart and say that the majority of Brigton fans would behave differently. Unfortunately. And depressingly.

I'd walk away, but seems that there are plenty who would be willing to perform the same mental gymnastcs to justify supporting a club that is sportswashing murderers. Or, more likely, can't even be bothered to think about it.

As above, respect to Palace for at least making some effort at protest. We were pathetic.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Saudi regime is awful.

Has the club not walked away from you, and you’re walking hand-in-hand with it?

At some point you have to say no, maybe if they stop putting money in?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I have a lot of sympathy for you, someone who is appalled by the S. Arabian sportswashing going on at your club. However, can't you and other like minded people raise the issue at matches or form protest groups? I would definitely be a Brighton supporter still if it were our club involved, but I would not go to matches whilst an owner like that held control of my club. At the least I would want to be involved in trying to remove them. Instead of this kind of stance, at least from the outside, we see fans like my mate who is a Geordie, saying things like 'Don't mix politics with sport'. That is an idiotic view as sport was inherently mixed up with politics once a regime like that took hold of your wonderful club.

This ^

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Saudi regime is awful.

A guy I know walked away from the club in the Ashley days. Stopped watching, stopped talking about them, stopped checking the results. Now he's a super fan again and doesn't give a fig about the owners.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not your club anymore, it's theirs and they are using you to clean up their international image. It seems like their efforts are succeeding so far.

This.

I understand how difficult it must be. But if this situation ever occurred here it would be a mournful end to my 45 years of support.

Until it changed, of course.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
FC United of Newcastle anyone?

While it pains me to praise Man Utd fans, this is ultimately the answer to any “but what can we as fans actually do?” arguments.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Fans are not powerless. If there was enough of a protest, they would leave. You've welcomed them with open arms however.

We protested, walked out, engaged in media campaigns and all that. Did that for over a decade and Ashley wasn't going anywhere.

Yeah, it's complicated. Where do we draw the line? boycott our own club? should opposition fans boycott St James'? Do we protest the Premier League and FA for allowing the takeover? I'm not being evasive, I'm just trying to say to get real, change, you'd need a uniform concerted effort from tens of thousands of individuals. And I don't think that's realistic.

I agree with the first statement but not the second. I’d hazard a guess they’ll be owning your club long after we’re all gone. I’m not sure what o would do in your position. I’d like to think I’d organise protests and only attend in order to do this. I would struggle to support my club of the owners were relaxed about killing people for being homosexual. I feel for you being conflicted but you & Man City are owned by totalitarian, repressive, murderous regimes. I don’t see how anyone can be ok with that.
That's the thing, I'm not ok with it. But feel powerless to change it. Are we in a circle of trust? Yeah? Seeing Newcastle ambitious, seeing them professional for the first time in nearly two decades, it makes walking away even harder.

For what it's worth I think the United with Pride statement after the takeover was disappointingly meek and I'd hope to see something a little more brave in future. But I don't think it's really my place to tell a minority how best to get their message out.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We protested, walked out, engaged in media campaigns and all that. Did that for over a decade and Ashley wasn't going anywhere.

Yeah, it's complicated. Where do we draw the line? boycott our own club? should opposition fans boycott St James'? Do we protest the Premier League and FA for allowing the takeover? I'm not being evasive, I'm just trying to say to get real, change, you'd need a uniform concerted effort from tens of thousands of individuals. And I don't think that's realistic.

Your fans protested against Ashley for sure. Was it enough, I really don't know, but simply having an unscrupulous owner is never likely to arouse a huge amount of sympathy in the football community and elsewhere. When we hear about the 'plight of the poor Newcastle fans' we need to think about fans who really have a hard time, Bury for instance, clubs who have never graced the second tier let alone the top league.

There are always plenty of reasons not to protest. If it was an issue to most Geordies, you can bet that change would occur, but just to quote my friend again, he hated Ashley so much simply due to perceived lack of funding. However he could not care one jot that a murderous regime was taking control simply because he thought they would splash the cash. Whilst that kind of attitude prevails, then maybe you're right and it's a lost cause. It's a massive shame for how Newcastle are thought of. In the past, unless one was a Mackem, people usually held a soft spot for the club. I don't think this is the case any longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here