[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Eventually money will tell, NUFC will unfortunately compete at the very top of the game. Chelski and ManC were nothing 30 years ago.

My only hope is that Howe is sacked by that time. Seeing that smirking, sly face after bought wins, would be irritating.

Not if the Saudis buy Inter, they won’t. On the brink apparently. If so, Newcastle can kiss dreams of Champions League goodbye.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not if the Saudis buy Inter, they won’t. On the brink apparently. If so, Newcastle can kiss dreams of Champions League goodbye.

Why? They have enough dosh to binge spend on more than one club

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why? They have enough dosh to binge spend on more than one club

I think they have money enough to invest in both teams.

You can’t own 2 clubs in the same competition. RB Salzburg/Leipzig had the same issue, only solved by the owners selling controlling stake in Salzburg.

If the Saudis buy Inter, Newcastle cannot compete in the CL. They will be Inter’s feeder club.

Enjoy it. It’s very, very, very funny.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think they have money enough to invest in both teams.

That is irrelevant.

Champions League regulations:
Article 5.0.1

To ensure the integrity of the UEFA club competitions, the following criteria apply:

no club participating in a UEFA club competition may, either directly or indirectly:

hold or deal in the securities or shares of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition,

be a member of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition,
be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management, administration and/or sporting performance of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition, or
have any power whatsoever in the management, administration and/or sporting performance of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition;

Article 5.0.2

If two or more clubs fail to meet the criteria aimed at ensuring the integrity of the competition, only one of them may be admitted to a UEFA club competition, in accordance with the following criteria (applicable in descending order):

the club which qualifies on sporting merit for the more prestigious UEFA club competition (i.e., in descending order: UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League);
the club which was best-ranked in the domestic championship giving access to the relevant UEFA club competition;
the club whose association has the highest association coefficient ranking, drawn up in accordance with Annex D.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can’t own 2 clubs in the same competition. RB Salzburg/Leipzig had the same issue, only solved by the owners selling controlling stake in Salzburg.

If the Saudis buy Inter, Newcastle cannot compete in the CL. They will be Inter’s feeder club.

I didn’t know that. It would be hilarious if they walked the PL and couldn’t play in Europe. The ideal would be for us to sneak their place by being the team one place below the qualifiers in the PL

I imagine they would find a legal loophole somehow though. Money shouts

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Enjoy it. It’s very, very, very funny.

I'll take more interest in these Inter rumours now :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Yeah sold it to some "DEFINITELY NOT Red Bull" company while keeping Red Bull as their "main sponsor".

Trust me, the Saudis will be able solve that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That is irrelevant.

Article 5.0.1

To ensure the integrity of the UEFA club competitions, the following criteria apply:

no club participating in a UEFA club competition may, either directly or indirectly:

hold or deal in the securities or shares of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition,

be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management, administration and/or sporting performance of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition, or
have any power whatsoever in the management, administration and/or sporting performance of any other club participating in a UEFA club competition;

Article 5.0.2

If two or more clubs fail to meet the criteria aimed at ensuring the integrity of the competition, only one of them may be admitted to a UEFA club competition, in accordance with the following criteria (applicable in descending order):

the club which qualifies on sporting merit for the more prestigious UEFA club competition (i.e., in descending order: UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League);
the club which was best-ranked in the domestic championship giving access to the relevant UEFA club competition;
the club whose association has the highest association coefficient ranking, drawn up in accordance with Annex D.

Supercool stuff, will be circumvented one way or another.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That is irrelevant.

Article 5.0.1

Article 5.0.2

So dreams of European glory for us and whatever that Belgian club is called need to be binned as well then ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So dreams of European glory for us and whatever that Belgian club is called need to be binned as well then ?
Yes, if we both qualify in the same season.

Pretty much the reason why the Man City and Leicester equivalents of USG don't challenge near the top of the Belgium league.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who will 'own" Inter?

Despite 'owning' :wink: Newcastle I didn't think the Saudi's 'owned' :wink: Newcastle.

Although this all seems rather academic for a little while yet.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
See they have changed ponds they are fishing in and are after Chris Wood now. Surely Burnley won't go for that?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah sold it to some "DEFINITELY NOT Red Bull" company while keeping Red Bull as their "main sponsor".

Trust me, the Saudis will be able solve that.

Maybe, maybe not.

Red Bull weren’t able to, neither has anyone else done it as yet.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That’s a lot for a 30 year old who is not finding the net this season.

I think Burnley will bite their hands off for that and will reinvest half of it on some Championship lump.

In a round about way, both the Newcastle and Burnley fans agree with you judging by the forums. Newcastle would like him as a short term fix (Until they heard the fee) and Burnley think he is a workshy lump and want to spend the money.

Would love this to go sideways - Kryten and her cronies going into the dressing room yesterday after the game is a very bad look.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Who will 'own" Inter?

Despite 'owning' :wink: Newcastle I didn't think the Saudi's 'owned' :wink: Newcastle.

Although this all seems rather academic for a little while yet.

It's a simple process. They set up a separate 'investment fund' and then promise the Italian FA that the 'Saudi Government' won't be involved in the running of the club. Worked with Newcastle, why wouldn't it work with Milan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports