Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So far, none of the super rich owners have done what was feared with Abramovic initially - a few years mucking about then buggering off leaving impossible debt and a dead club. City, Chelsea, Liverpool, and others, all fine.

Newcastle, however.....if the new owners do get cold feet they may have little compuction about cutting them off. What then for the club?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Newcastle, however.....if the new owners do get cold feet they may have little compuction about cutting them off. What then for the club?

They'll need to find an owner who specializes in buying businesses that have been mismanaged but still have a reparable brand name with a loyal band of customers.

Does that sound like anyone we know? :lolol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
As usual, money and influence have allegedly been applied to the PM with a predictable outcome.

“In April 2021, Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman reportedly asked British Prime Minister Boris Johnson to intervene so that the Premier League would approved PIF's takeover of Newcastle. The attempted takeover was "a blatant example of Saudi sportswashing", according to Kate Allen of Amnesty International UK. The British government blocked details of its talks with the Premier League regarding the Saudi takeover, saying the disclosure could "harm" relations with Saudi Arabia.” Wiki

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting that at the weekend Boro fans were protesting about the Saudi takeover of NUFC....

A DEAL for a major Saudi investment of nearly one billion pounds into SABIC in Teesside has been secured,creating and safeguarding 1,000 jobs.

The deal, secured by Saudi Aramco, will see SABIC’s parent company inject £850million into the Teesside business ending months of uncertainty for thousands of workers and those in the firms supply chain.

The new funding will mean its hydrocarbon cracker at Wilton can be restarted.

The cracker, known as the Olefins 6 plant, breaks down hydrocarbons into chemicals such as ethylene which are then used in a host of further processes, and has been shut down for over a year.

SABIC have also confirmed that they will explore converting the cracker to run electricity, making it the worlds-first cracker to be converted to run on electricity, if successful SABIC will convert all of their crackers around the globe.

The investment comes following negotiations by the Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen and ministers with Mr Houchen meeting Yousef Abdullah Al-Benyan, the global Chief Executive of SABIC, earlier this month at the Global Investment Summit hosted by the Prime Minster.

It’s really not hard to have a connection with the Saudi Public Investment Fund. They have hundreds of millions invested in companies like Disney, Facebook and Boeing.

Our club has a link too. PIF has a share in Berkshire Hathaway Inc. which is a holding company, they in turn have an 18.8% share in American Express who’ve obviously payed our club millions to name our stadium and promote their brand.

If PIF was covid, most people in the UK would be infected albeit the Geordies receiving the deadliest viral load.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So far, none of the super rich owners have done what was feared with Abramovic initially - a few years mucking about then buggering off leaving impossible debt and a dead club. City, Chelsea, Liverpool, and others, all fine.

I'm sure there's a joke there about their owners cutting things off...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
It’s really not hard to have a connection with the Saudi Public Investment Fund. They have hundreds of millions invested in companies like Disney, Facebook and Boeing.

Our club has a link too. PIF has a share in Berkshire Hathaway Inc. which is a holding company, they in turn have an 18.8% share in American Express who’ve obviously payed our club millions to name our stadium and promote their brand.

If PIF was covid, most people in the UK would be infected albeit the Geordies receiving the deadliest viral load.

Apparently not (albeit this is a year old, so they could have reinvested): https://www.arabnews.com/node/1764391/business-economy

In any case, there is an extremely significant difference between "an investment" and "a controlling investment".

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Barber to the Premier League? Sorry:D

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I don't walk around in shirts with Facebook, Disney or Boeing on them though. I don't identify or associate with them. I got an UBER the other day, who PIF are known to invest in - doesn't mean I'm getting the teatowels out.

Just because you have used a product that PIF have invested in, doesn't make you a fanboy. As [MENTION=36353]schmunk[/MENTION] said, there's a huge difference between an investment, and a total buy-out. I've got shares in Lloyds, doesn't mean I get to tell them how to run the bank.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I cant believe he is going to sell his soul for a relegation battle. Won the La Liga title last year and was in the Team of the Year in Spain.

what a tit.

Highest paid player in Newcastle history...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here