Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agreed they would but it would still be hilarious at the time.

On a personal question - would you leave this board and join theirs and follow that club if Potter went there?

Not sure. Depends on a lot of things.

Definitely not if the Saudi Arabian Entity was the next club.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Ashley now interested in Derby. How many rhinos were hurt in the making of his skin?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Beggars can't be choosers?

I've seen a lot of complaints from Derby fans today and struggle to understand it. They are quite likely to go down to League One and once there you usually just get the the third tier investors ("first" tier being foreign oligarchs, second being English rich people who wants a football club and third shady people that you cant really tell what they want) and from there on its very easy to just keep going downhill.

Ashley obviously had a lot flaws but he still kept Newcastle competitive and economically sound through the years. You'd imagine Derby fans would want that but apparently not.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don’t understand what Ashley did that was so wrong at Newcastle? They spent over £40m on a striker two years ago. Only the top 6 can beat that.

I agree.

The problem with Mad Mike as I know from my day job is that he just doesn’t give a monkeys about PR and does exactly what he wants. It’s the same with Sports Direct. His communication with fans (or shareholders in SD) is non existent. Benitez played the PR game and got the fans onside, but really what manager with any ambition would clear off to Mickey Mouse football in China? Ashley could’ve responded at any time - but never bothered. It’s not surprising the fans didn’t like him.

When you look at where Newcastle are in the table, ok they’ve had a bad start, it really wasn’t that bad. And let’s face it, he’s left the club in a pretty solid financial position otherwise the Saudi’s wouldn’t have bought it.

And on that subject, I’m getting increasingly irritated by pictures of Staveley in the articles on the takeover. She’s a figurehead - no more. And sure as hell ain’t running that club or making any decisions.

The most interesting owners for me are the Reuben Brothers. Razor sharp businessmen who know exactly what they are doing. There is no way they would’ve invested on a punt…..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They did only have an average finish of 13th in Ashley's reign. Surely no fans have so suffered so much for so long?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm a big fan of El Pres' podcast but o was amused by him describing Mike Ashley as "a toxic brand" when one considers the new owners

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Their issues with Ashely (stadium renaming aside) all boil down to them being pissed off he was a touch too miserly to propel them to their "rightful" place at the top end of the league. That's it.

They've overtaken Leeds / Massive et al in the 'most overinflated sense of self-worth' stakes for me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Okay our new owners may have murdered and dismembered a critic, but they have to be preferable because they haven't put Alan Shearer's nose out of joint.

Since this article the majority of Newcastle fans have shown that they would have excused away any sin if an owner were rich enough. Mike Ashley may have been arrogant, dismissive and uncaring, but despite what they argued at the time, it now seems that his only real crime in the eyes of the supporters was the size of his disposable income. Had he a couple of hundred million a year to spend on transfer fees, he could have done literally anything he liked to Alan Shearer. He may have had the condemnation of the UN, but he would have still enjoyed the Toon Army's support.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Okay our new owners may have murdered and dismembered a critic, but they have to be preferable because they haven't put Alan Shearer's nose out of joint.

Since this article the majority of Newcastle fans have shown that they would have excused away any sin if an owner were rich enough. Mike Ashley may have been arrogant, dismissive and uncaring, but despite what they argued at the time, it now seems that his only real crime in the eyes of the supporters was the size of his disposable income. Had he a couple of hundred million a year to spend on transfer fees, he could have done literally anything he liked to Alan Shearer. He may have had the condemnation of the UN, but he would have still enjoyed the Toon Army's support.

Written last Saturday - I missed it first time round - but I think this article is a reasonably concise condemnation of the pure, unadulterated hypocrisy being shown by far too many Newcastle fans -

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/oct/09/newcastle-fans-speak-of-suffering-but-what-about-actual-suffering-in-saudi-arabia-takeover

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Saw 'Bruce' trending on twitter so had a look. It's a mix of Bruce Allen and his involvement in the emails that led to John Gruben quitting/being fired from the Raiders in the NFL, and some Steve Bruce related stuff. One suggests he's been fired, but they are announcing it tomorrow, allowing him to leave today without the waiting press knowing he's gone. No idea if that's right or not, but these couple of tweets made me giggle:

[tweet]1447866659042115586[/tweet]

[tweet]1447883634892025856[/tweet]

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here