[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I see this as smoke and mirrors. They could have prevented this takeover if they were minded but were unable because dubious foreign billionaire ownership is already allowed at a number of PL clubs. We were told at the time of the ESL proposals that the PL is a members organization so for there not to be a vote required on ownership of one of the members is not a credible claim. Perhaps a new breakaway is what is needed. One that is based upon the integrity of the competition and genuine links to the community. I don’t know much about the Welsh League but perhaps we could consider joining that instead ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I see this as smoke and mirrors. They could have prevented this takeover if they were minded but were unable because dubious foreign billionaire ownership is already allowed at a number of PL clubs. We were told at the time of the ESL proposals that the PL is a members organization so for there not to be a vote required on ownership of one of the members is not a credible claim. Perhaps a new breakaway is what is needed. One that is based upon the integrity of the competition and genuine links to the community. I don’t know much about the Welsh League but perhaps we could consider joining that instead ?

EPL is just a rich man's plaything now, not much more than a global willy-waving contest. It's just a matter of whether longtime fans with any kind of a conscience walk away sooner rather than later.

Bovvered? Far less than I thought I'd ever be :wave:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
EPL is just a rich man's plaything now, not much more than a global willy-waving contest. It's just a matter of whether longtime fans with any kind of a conscience walk away sooner rather than later.

Bovvered? Far less than I thought I'd ever be :wave:

Sadly, I agree. I’ve been enjoying the recent run and quality of entertainment but Newcastle is a reminder of how venal the whole enterprise is.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
C339FEF4-2F47-404A-B563-E19624612BBC.jpeg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
**** OFF are my thoughts

Have not read all thread. Just about accept foreigners owning clubs However understand company owning Newcastle is 80% owned by Saudi government and dont understand how that is allowed.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Trevor Birch of the EFL once explained what the fit and proper test was (note - it’s not even called that) it is basically only really to ensure they know who is going to be taking over, ensuring they have funds and how they came to get those funds - from memory.

On the flip side it’d be impossible to mandate for every scenario of ‘what’ a fit and proper owner looks like. Especially as the horse has already bolted with Man City, Chelsea etc. The PL are also saying they have legal assurances in place that the 2 organisations are separate in terms of the Saudi crown & the investment fund.

And Trevor Birch would know - being the CEO at Chelsea who helped engineer the arrival of Abramovich.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I've said in other threads before that a load of my family are from the North East and Newcastle fans going back generations. It's them, and fans like them I feel sorry for. A load of their fans protested having Wonga as a sponsor, they protested the pay and conditions of Sports Direct, and now this. Just like a City supporting mate feels he no longer has affinity with the club he supported for 50 years before the takeover I know that away from the ones who are celebrating there'll be a lot of Geordies who will be feeling like they have lost their club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some of the stuff being spouted by Toon fans on SM is incredible…..basically grovelling to the new ownership, and then proceeding to write out their shopping list of new manager and new signings. :mad::mad::mad:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
They've done a good job with their 'beard'.

Attachments

• b25lY21zOjNiYWRmMDgzLTY2N2UtNDU2ZC1hODg4LTUyZTYzODI3ZDNmZDpiYjkwOTFkMy1mNjQ2LTRlMGMtYWRkZi0wNmQ3.jpg
    b25lY21zOjNiYWRmMDgzLTY2N2UtNDU2ZC1hODg4LTUyZTYzODI3ZDNmZDpiYjkwOTFkMy1mNjQ2LTRlMGMtYWRkZi0wNmQ3.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 268

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
I'm sure that I read somewhere in the media that NU can spend nearly £200m on players next year without failing FFP. No wonder that some of the Geordie fans are excited. Some of their players must be looking over their shoulders thinking have they a future at the club and play accordingly. NU down at the end of the season?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I'm sure that I read somewhere in the media that NU can spend nearly £200m on players next year without failing FFP. No wonder that some of the Geordie fans are excited. Some of their players must be looking over their shoulders thinking have they a future at the club and play accordingly. NU down at the end of the season?

That would potentially be the funniest thing to ever happen in football.
As I wrote above every team is going to want to beat them and all opposition fans even more so.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
As I wrote above every team is going to want to beat them and all opposition fans even more so.
Not just the EPL fans. I'm sure the footy forums of Sunderland must be a good read now???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

They could absolutely go down but I'd still find it hard to laugh at them because they will be back and eventually establish themselves in the top, unless something very unexpected happens. It might take a couple of years but if you keep buying expensive quality then eventually its going to happen.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Utterly disgraceful piece in the Sunday Times basically saying who gives a toss about human rights, its a £370 million injection to the EPL.

I hadn't noticed that they were so short of cash that affluent murderers were welcome. Hope they get booed on and off the pitch for the rest of the season.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
They could absolutely go down but I'd still find it hard to laugh at them because they will be back and eventually establish themselves in the top, unless something very unexpected happens. It might take a couple of years but if you keep buying expensive quality then eventually its going to happen.

Agreed they would but it would still be hilarious at the time.

On a personal question - would you leave this board and join theirs and follow that club if Potter went there?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Whilst I don't like the idea of middle eastern states buying up all the EPL teams, I guess it gives us another ridiculously wealthy club to sell our academy graduates to.

Like all newly wealthy clubs, they will have to pay through the nose, to purchase from the second tier of top signings each season, until they establish themselves.
It took City 4 years to win anything and a further 3 before they were really at the top table for signings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports