Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Agree with everything you've said but I'm afraid you're pov is probably considered old fashioned, out of date and un-relatable to the "modern" football fan. Sadly.

edit- re the post above obviously.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would absolutely walk away in the incredibly unlikely event this was us.
I take great pride in the 'community' aspect of the club and it being fan owned.
As well as the way they are trying to develop talent.

Sadly though I'd be amazed if Jnr had such moral fortitude.
Plus I wouldn't be at all surprised if he instantly found a gaggle of mates to go with, making my 'protest' even more insignificant than it already was.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The way that otherwise decent people can find ways to justify the unjustifiable if it means that their football team is successful is just astounding. The bloke from the Newcastle supporters group who was on Newsnight actually said that they just want a team that they can be proud of for the first time in 14 years.

I've been proud of my football club since I've supported it. We're on a run now, but during most of that time its results have been mediocre to awful. My pride came from the allegiance with fellow supporters who cared about having football to watch in Sussex. It's nice to win, but I'd be here whatever league we were in and I know that most of you would too. I am now most proud that we now have owners who share my football values. Who act like custodians, who know that this about the long term, who value the club's links with the people of Sussex, who want to be leaders in showing how a football club can be at the heart of a community. Now I know that Newcastle fans didn't get that from Mike Ashley, but we didn't get it from Bill Archer either. In those circumstances you define the club as the supporters not the owners. That is not possible if your fellow supporters are complicit in helping force through a sale to owners who shouldn't be passing a fit and proper person test, something that the Newsnight spokeperson didn't acknowledge when he argued that supporters were not responsible because they had no power.

It seems to me that the fan campaign to lobby the FA to allow the take over is the largest fan action undertaken by Newcastle fans throughout Ashley's apparently hated tenure. They complained that they hated him whilst buying his sportswear. They then actively campaigned to be allowed to sell the soul of their own club just for success on the pitch. F*** that. I'd be gone in a second if that was the price of being a Brighton fan. The oft quoted Shankly remark about football being more important than life or death is often misunderstood. Football, sport, art, music, culture are the religions of the irreligious. They provide the moments of transcendent wonder that us non believers can't get from the metaphysical. In those terms they are more important than life itself. However, its all ethereal and the sharing those moments with like minded others is absolutely key to giving meaning to the emotion. The moment you find yourself in a group with whom you cannot accept that you are like minded is the moment its over and all meaning disintegrates. To many of us, football may be more more important than life or death. However, winning at football is certainly not. The moment that you are supporting the success of an organisation that you cannot justify against your own sense of morality is the moment you are doing something completely meaningless.

The joyous reaction of the majority of Newcastle fans to the news that the club that was supposed to represent their community is to become the plaything of amoral billionaires is all about wanting to win and nothing about any of the other multifaceted reasons why millions of working people all over the world have flocked to football grounds for generations. It's so bizarre that it finds this old atheist having to respond with a quote from the bible:

"For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his own soul?"

Outstanding post! Concur with all of that.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They’re going to take so much shit for so long for this at games. And deservedly so. I would undoubtedly walk away if this happened to us. Football isn’t worth it.
The idea you could just turn a blind eye on the feint promise of success is just abhorrent IMHO.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
The way that otherwise decent people can find ways to justify the unjustifiable if it means that their football team is successful is just astounding. The bloke from the Newcastle supporters group who was on Newsnight actually said that they just want a team that they can be proud of for the first time in 14 years.

I've been proud of my football club since I've supported it. We're on a run now, but during most of that time its results have been mediocre to awful. My pride came from the allegiance with fellow supporters who cared about having football to watch in Sussex. It's nice to win, but I'd be here whatever league we were in and I know that most of you would too. I am now most proud that we now have owners who share my football values. Who act like custodians, who know that this about the long term, who value the club's links with the people of Sussex, who want to be leaders in showing how a football club can be at the heart of a community. Now I know that Newcastle fans didn't get that from Mike Ashley, but we didn't get it from Bill Archer either. In those circumstances you define the club as the supporters not the owners. That is not possible if your fellow supporters are complicit in helping force through a sale to owners who shouldn't be passing a fit and proper person test, something that the Newsnight spokeperson didn't acknowledge when he argued that supporters were not responsible because they had no power.

It seems to me that the fan campaign to lobby the FA to allow the take over is the largest fan action undertaken by Newcastle fans throughout Ashley's apparently hated tenure. They complained that they hated him whilst buying his sportswear. They then actively campaigned to be allowed to sell the soul of their own club just for success on the pitch. F*** that. I'd be gone in a second if that was the price of being a Brighton fan. The oft quoted Shankly remark about football being more important than life or death is often misunderstood. Football, sport, art, music, culture are the religions of the irreligious. They provide the moments of transcendent wonder that us non believers can't get from the metaphysical. In those terms they are more important than life itself. However, its all ethereal and the sharing those moments with like minded others is absolutely key to giving meaning to the emotion. The moment you find yourself in a group with whom you cannot accept that you are like minded is the moment its over and all meaning disintegrates. To many of us, football may be more more important than life or death. However, winning at football is certainly not. The moment that you are supporting the success of an organisation that you cannot justify against your own sense of morality is the moment you are doing something completely meaningless.

The joyous reaction of the majority of Newcastle fans to the news that the club that was supposed to represent their community is to become the plaything of amoral billionaires is all about wanting to win and nothing about any of the other multifaceted reasons why millions of working people all over the world have flocked to football grounds for generations. It's so bizarre that it finds this old atheist having to respond with a quote from the bible:

"For what doth it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his own soul?"

Superb post, and congratulations for articulating what I'm sure many of us feel.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Be interested to see Shearer and Linekar’s reaction in future MOTD. Will be a gauge of the general mood. Can’t imagine Linekar is impressed but suspect Shearer will act like a giddy goon.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Have their ever been any away fan banners at City games re: their owners or are the PL quick to ‘silence’ such detractors?

Shearer article on the BBC currently that’s headlined: ‘A fantastic day for Newcastle supporters’. The world has gone mad.
Lol. Think you know the answer. Everyone too busy drooling over Pep and De Bruyne

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hope they go down :moo:

This. It won't stop them 'taking their rightful place in the top 6' but it might delay them for a couple of seasons. Would be 'fun' to see the richest football club in the world in the Championship for a season.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Jeremy Vine show have had callers on saying they have switched allegiances to Sunderland, so there are some supporters with some moral fibre.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
8B0CA204-EAB3-4AE9-B2FA-EE3A84B67F47.jpeg

They’ve already replaced the caps in the Newcastle club shop.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Be interested to see Shearer and Linekar’s reaction in future MOTD. Will be a gauge of the general mood. Can’t imagine Linekar is impressed but suspect Shearer will act like a giddy goon.

Alan Shearer says the Saudi Arabian-backed £305m takeover of Newcastle is a "special day" for the club's long-suffering supporters.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Starting to fall out with my Newcastle supporting mate who lives in Middlesbrough. Pointed out that if it happened to us, I'd be off supporting Lewes in non-league, at least they have Middlesbrough or Sunderland to choose from. I asked which one they'd go to assuming (cheekily) that it was their moral obligation to do so.

It didn't go down too well.

Ahh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here