Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Shearer has written a piece in the athletic where he basically says “you can’t just look the other way but let’s look at what the money can do for the club and city”

I think the most irritating bit of his article is where he says football makes us hypocrites. He has a paragraph saying that you hate a combative midfielder until you sign him, you hate VAR until it gives you a decision and then by some leap we are supposed to therefore feel it is okay to hate journalist killing regimes until they buy your club then it is fine to like them because it is just like changing your mind in VAR because you benefit.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Contempt for Newcastle is well deserved. However, we shouldn’t forget the PL. They have squandered the goodwill that came their way at the time of the ESL fiasco. I feel unclean having supported the existing structure and overnight have changed my opinion. To hide behind the claim that the Saudi state would not be running Newcastle is beyond contempt and treating us (yet again) as mugs.

Indeed. The club is now 80% owned by the Saudi Public Investment Fund. Whilst it is technically not a government department it was created for the purpose of investing funds on behalf of the Saudi government. It's a bit like saying the NHS isn't the British government's health service supplier just because it's outside the governmental structure.

Never have I wanted the oil to run out more. (Or at least for the world to stop using it).

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's just another piss stain on football's mattress. There are so many, you'll hardly notice once it dries.

The "soul" of football went a long time ago, and it went to Sky (and all the Sky subscribers) not to the arabs. That's the money that detatched larger clubs (and those lucky enough to be at the top in the early 90s) from the rest of football and that is still getting worse beause of TV money. The oil state money just means a handful of clubs are even richer than the rest and that they can out-compete anyone but each other.

The moaning and moralising from most fans is, if they really look deep inside, either a reflection of the state we are already in, or fear and jealousy that a Prem rival is about to get a huge war chest.

The only way this changes is if fans take back football - insist that clubs are majority fan owned. But the route to that will be long and arduous. But we can wait and the oil (or the power of oil) will end in the next few decades.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Shearer has written a piece in the athletic where he basically says “you can’t just look the other way but let’s look at what the money can do for the club and city”

I think the most irritating bit of his article is where he says football makes us hypocrites. He has a paragraph saying that you hate a combative midfielder until you sign him, you hate VAR until it gives you a decision and then by some leap we are supposed to therefore feel it is okay to hate journalist killing regimes until they buy your club then it is fine to like them because it is just like changing your mind in VAR because you benefit.

Just as it is unlikely that we'll ever find a Professor of Ethics with the ability to score heaps of goals at the top level, it's unlikely that we'll get an ex top level striker who knows what he is talking about about in matters of ethical theory. Mr Shearer illustrates the latter perfectly.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It does pose an interesting question.

If Tony ever decided to sell, what kind of people would he sell too?

Not sure he'd simply sell to highest bidder kind of person.

Being Jewish I think that would probably rule out Middle Eastern Muslim Oil money.

Potentially someone from the Asian region like a Hong Kong or Singapore billionaire.

US always a chance with their super rich sports owners backgrounds.

No doubt he'll be with a us a long time and hopefully one day his kids take over but i'd be relatively confident if he did sell it would be to someone with a bit of a moral backbone about them and not the likes of this mob.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Entitled fans with delusions of grandeur....

Belligerent owners with little regard for human rights.....

They deserve each other.

What I do not get, is talksport are all over the take over, implying Newcastle will now be one of the big four, and compete for titles and cups. Newcastle deserve a break and the fans deserve so much more....
This from the station that actively promotes BLM and various inclusive causes, they are the first to call for bans of fans who commit racist crimes. Yet do they bring up Human Rights, Beheadings, Women's rights.....
Nope.
Utter shite, they don't broadcast news, they have fat old blokes spouting nonsense, and drivel, giggling at their own jokes and glorifying a certain presenter being drunk or missing from action.

Awful radio station for the reasons you state. Went off it years ago

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The horse punchers slagged Mike Ashley off for his practices as chairman of sports direct - 0 hour contracts, the way staff are treated etc.

Yet now it’s ok to turn a blind eye to an oppressive regime, a country where women are third rare citizens, you’d be hung for being gay and all round poor human rights records.

Bunch of entitled (for absolutely no reason other than ‘pashun’) hypocrites

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Absolute prick, is Shearer.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
Thought I would be less furious after some sleep but nope, still more disgusted than I've ever been in a football context. Just when I had fooled myself that football couldnt sink any lower.

When thinking about Yemen I struggle to hold back what I really want to happen to the Newcastle fans. But a good start would be if Brighton beat the shit out of them in November.
I'm the same, what is football sinking to. All those pundit Geordies salivanating over it aswell. I hope they go down even more than I did before.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Getting to a point where I'd like these petrostate/super rich's plaything clubs to **** off and play in their own league now. Any new club that gets taken over in the same fashion gets to automatically join them.

The Bundesliga club ownership rules look more attractive as every year passes. Another German win.

Whilst EPL (former) owners and set of fans whore themselves out.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Crikey, the bloke is so thick and desperate, his analogies are shit.

VAR versus investigative journalist murdered in an embassy.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd be in tears if this was the albion being taken over by the Saudi regime.

But the Newcastle fans seem to be delighted.

Barcodes or Magpies doesn't seem a fitting name anymore.

RIP Newcastle Utd.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

The "soul" of football went a long time ago, and it went to Sky (and all the Sky subscribers) not to the arabs. That's the money that detatched larger clubs (and those lucky enough to be at the top in the early 90s) from the rest of football and that is still getting worse beause of TV money. The oil state money just means a handful of clubs are even richer than the rest and that they can out-compete anyone but each other.

That's not quite true. That money was given to a group of football clubs as a collective, not to an individual club. The fact that the top clubs decided to keep it all for themselves and not share it with the larger football family wasn't the fault of the broadcaster. It's a bit like if your employer suddenly decided to pay you a million a year and you decided to spend it all on drugs and prostitutes and not look after your aged parents. It wouldn't be your employer's fault!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Newcastle are now the stand out pariahs of the Premier League. The media describing their fans as 'long suffering' and 'no fans deserve it more' is sickening. Shearer et al now weighing in giving legitimacy to this awful regime owning his club, its disgusting. I won't be attending the home match against them under any circumstances, my seat will be empty. It won't mean a thing to anyone or make a difference but I simply can't turn a blind eye and acquiesce any more.

Questions I have are, who exactly are the decision makers at the FA that decide the fit and proper persons test? I'd like their names to be published. How has this decision suddenly been made out of the blue? The weak argument that the Ownership of Newcastle will not be the Saudi leader doesn't fool anyone, its an out and out lie pure and simple.

I'd like to know the finances of the decision makers, I wonder if there are any numbered Swiss bank accounts recently opened with large anonymous deposits.....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
25 years ago you were the most popular team in the Prem - now everybody will hate you and want you to get relegated. Blood money.

HALAL THE LADS!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Newcastle are now the stand out pariahs of the Premier League. The media describing their fans as 'long suffering' and 'no fans deserve it more' is sickening. Shearer et al now weighing in giving legitimacy to this awful regime owning his club, its disgusting. I won't be attending the home match against them under any circumstances, my seat will be empty. It won't mean a thing to anyone or make a difference but I simply can't turn a blind eye and acquiesce any more.

Questions I have are, who exactly are the decision makers at the FA that decide the fit and proper persons test? I'd like their names to be published. How has this decision suddenly been made out of the blue? The weak argument that the Ownership of Newcastle will not be the Saudi leader doesn't fool anyone, its an out and out lie pure and simple.

I'd like to know the finances of the decision makers, I wonder if there are any numbered Swiss bank accounts recently opened with large anonymous deposits.....

I want to go to that game more than any other, to join in any chants insulting their owners / slagging off their human rights record.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton

How pathetic of him. Better to say nothing at all or to be more honest and say I know about problems with the regime but I'm prepared to accept it because of the benefits to my home city and home team (and maybe me personally because perhaps I can wangle a cushty job with them. Or maybe he is already being paid by the new Newcastle United to help smooth over things?). I could perhaps accept either but to try and justify it in public is laughable, in a not very funny way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here