Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Saudi consortium to take over Newcastle

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Nope, I don’t think you are, there would be protests but we’d be trampled underfoot and replaced by an army of new Glory Hunters once the first 80 million plus striker was signed in January

I like to think I’d walk away which would mean nothing to anyone other than me

It's bloody depressing, isn't it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
They are 100% the next set of fans to become an arrogant bunch of t0ssers overnight though (on the whole). Just you wait till their visit next month.

Does make me wonder what would happen if we were taken over in the same fashion. I just can't see the majority of us being OK with it, and I can imagine protests against it, but maybe I'm being naive??

Not sure about protests but I would cancel my ST and support Tranmere instead.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thought I would be less furious after some sleep but nope, still more disgusted than I've ever been in a football context. Just when I had fooled myself that football couldnt sink any lower.

When thinking about Yemen I struggle to hold back what I really want to happen to the Newcastle fans. But a good start would be if Brighton beat the shit out of them in November.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure about protests but I would cancel my ST and support Tranmere instead.

I hope I never get to find out but I’m not sure I’d be able to raise the enthusiasm to support another club after the years I’ve supported the Albion. I guess it would be difficult to stay interested in football without having a club to support though. Maybe I’d follow Swannys lead and support whatever club GP went to after the multi billion pound owners had sacked him from the Albion :wink:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Newcastle fans singing “we’ve got our club back”.

I don’t know why Newcastle are so desperate to be owned by the Saudis.

It may be easy to say from our point of view today, but I think I’d rather still be in league one scrimping and saving. We’ll fund our stadium ourselves…somehow. But it wouldn’t be because of Saudi blood money.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Thought I would be less furious after some sleep but nope, still more disgusted than I've ever been in a football context. Just when I had fooled myself that football couldnt sink any lower.

When thinking about Yemen I struggle to hold back what I really want to happen to the Newcastle fans. But a good start would be if Brighton beat the shit out of them in November.

Contempt for Newcastle is well deserved. However, we shouldn’t forget the PL. They have squandered the goodwill that came their way at the time of the ESL fiasco. I feel unclean having supported the existing structure and overnight have changed my opinion. To hide behind the claim that the Saudi state would not be running Newcastle is beyond contempt and treating us (yet again) as mugs.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They are 100% the next set of fans to become an arrogant bunch of t0ssers overnight though (on the whole). Just you wait till their visit next month.

Does make me wonder what would happen if we were taken over in the same fashion. I just can't see the majority of us being OK with it, and I can imagine protests against it, but maybe I'm being naive??

If TB does ever sell I would like to thing he would not sell to this kind of owner. Ashley doesn't care of course, just wants the cash and wants out.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
The way they are justifying the money makes me sick. I saw some one on Twitter saying that isis messed up. They should have just bought football clubs to be loved.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Nope, I don’t think you are, there would be protests but we’d be trampled underfoot and replaced by an army of new Glory Hunters once the first 80 million plus striker was signed in January

I like to think I’d walk away which would mean nothing to anyone other than me

I’d definitely protest, but ultimately i’d walk away if we bowed down to a disgusting regime like KSA. Would rather get a ST at Worthing. The Newcastle fans are an utter embarrassment right now, entitled brats who are now just useful sheep in the boldest sportswashing exercise mounted in this country. A shameful day for football and the PL should hang their heads.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
To be fair this really hasn't got much to do with the fans of Newcastle. They have no control over who owns the club. They only really have two choices, make the best of it or go and support Gateshead or someone.

The fit and proper person test isn't about a moral judgement of who owns teams, is it? I thought it was more about having the money to service their new plaything.

Let's face it the morality horse bolted from football a long time ago. This is just another stain on the beautiful game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I hope I never get to find out but I’m not sure I’d be able to raise the enthusiasm to support another club after the years I’ve supported the Albion. I guess it would be difficult to stay interested in football without having a club to support though. Maybe I’d follow Swannys lead and support whatever club GP went to after the multi billion pound owners had sacked him from the Albion :wink:

I can understand that. However I have lived away from Sussex for 36 years and always follow the fortunes of whichever club is geographically closest. My second teams have been Darlington, Millwall, Maidenhead Utd, Norwich and now Tranmere. It’s still a day out at the football although the Albion always come first, apart from in a Newcastle type scenario. Thankfully, I don’t think we ever need to worry about it. Tony has no reason or desire to sell.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Totally agree with the thread's consensus on this one. I never bought into the the 'Geordie nation' nonsense but did have a bit of a soft spot for them. I might even check out the Sunderland fans' forum for real Weapons Grade Vitriol.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Apologies if already posted - I have not read all of the 200+ responses - but the position of the Premier League seems very suspect to me.

Back in April 2020 they objected to the takeover by the Saudi Arabian fund - PIF - on the grounds of the fitness of the proposed owner. It was all due to go to the disputes panel next year.

Suddenly, Saudi Arabia stop encouraging pirate distribution of PL matches around the region - licensed by the PL to BeIN sports, BeIn itself being run by Saudi's rivals Qatar. As a consequence, the PL see the value of their 'product' (our football matches) suddenly leap in value, and the likelihood of a significant increase in their revenue from the region.

As if by magic, this removes any concerns the PL might have had about the suitability of the proposed owners overnight, and the PIF, which had stated that they were no longer interested in the deal months ago, suddenly swoop in and buy the club.

So, the PL have now got their revenue streams from the Middle East flowing again, and by pure coincidence, can see no problem in allowing / supporting the purchase of Newcastle by the PIF.

Sickening and hypocritical behaviour by the PL are just two of the words that come to mind....

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Apologies if already posted - I have not read all of the 200+ responses - but the position of the Premier League seems very suspect to me.

Back in April 2020 they objected to the takeover by the Saudi Arabian fund - PIF - on the grounds of the fitness of the proposed owner. It was all due to go to the disputes panel next year.

Suddenly, Saudi Arabia stop encouraging pirate distribution of PL matches around the region - licensed by the PL to BeIN sports, BeIn itself being run by Saudi's rivals Qatar. As a consequence, the PL see the value of their 'product' (our football matches) suddenly leap in value, and the liklelihood of a significant increase in their revenue from the region.

As if by magic, this removes any concerns the PL might have had about the suitability of the proposed owners overnight, and the PIF, which had stated that they were no longer interested in the deal months ago, suddenly swoop in and buy the club.

So, the PL have now got their revenue streams from the Middle East flowing again, and by pure coincidence, can see no problem in allowing / supporting the purchase of Newcastle by the PIF.

Sickening and hypocritical behaviour by the PL are just two of the words that come to mind....

With each move like this you'd hope someone would create a breakout league in Britain. Might not be as powerful and expensive as the PL :)schelotto:) but still think there would be a market for it.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Football is getting boiled like a frog.

Step by step, its soul is being sold, to the highest bidder as a soft power tool for murderers while fans celebrate and look the other way. Money, at the levels it is flowing in to the game from above, is pure poison. Corrupting everything it touches. Fans, players, pundits and officials alike.

Shearer is a cowardly disgrace.

Yes there's some hypocrisy. Pleny of oher dodgy owners. Much as we love him, there are aspects of Tony Blooms business affairs that may not bear scrutiny.

But if selling one of the most long standing, traditional, community centred, clubs in the country to the Saudi's is not a step to far, what is? When do we say 'enough'.

Judging by the media reaction and the reaction of Newcastle fans...it's too late. Newcastle fans, apparently, 'deserve' this.

F*ck off.

This, and the other story out there at the moment, is so so depressing.

So let's just give up get back to debating the really important stuff. Like whether we can drink in our seats.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It takes more than money to make a successful football club. Don’t forget wisdom, common sense and the ability to find and appoint the right people and let them get on with it. Time will tell if the Saudis will do that. Newcastle fans should be careful what you wish for.
[NB.. I endorse the last two comments above]

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Football is getting boiled like a frog.

Step by step, its soul is being sold, to the highest bidder as a soft power tool for murderers while fans celebrate and look the other way. Money, at the levels it is flowing in to the game from above, is pure poison. Corrupting everything it touches. Fans, players, pundits and officials alike.

Shearer is a cowardly disgrace.

Yes there's some hypocrisy. Pleny of oher dodgy owners. Much as we love him, there are aspects of Tony Blooms business affairs that may not bear scrutiny.

But if selling one of the most long standing, traditional, community centred, clubs in the country to the Saudi's is not a step to far, what is? When do we say 'enough'.

Judging by the media reaction and the reaction of Newcastle fans...it's too late. Newcastle fans, apparently, 'deserve' this.

F*ck off.

This, and the other story out there at the moment, is so so depressing.

So let's just give up get back to debating the really important stuff. Like whether we can drink in our seats.

Football has always sold it's soul, only difference in the modern era is there is a lot more money in it, attracting a lot more sharks, and bigger ones at that. Sharks have always owned football clubs though. As it happens, 2021 marks 60 years since football scrapped the player's maximum salary cap. At a time when owners and directors sat like Orwell's Snowball and Napoleon over their minions who merely kicked a ball about.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Football has always sold it's soul, only difference in the modern era is there is a lot more money in it, attracting a lot more sharks, and bigger ones at that. Sharks have always owned football clubs though. As it happens, 2021 marks 60 years since football scrapped the player's maximum salary cap. At a time when owners and directors sat like Orwell's Snowball and Napoleon over their minions who merely kicked a ball about.

'It's always been a bit dodgy, so let's look the other way while the Saudi's buy Newcastle'.

Righto.

Sadly though I think your view will inevitably prevail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here